ajm starting problem

stemoody32

TDI
golf mk4 gttdi 115 pd
i have had a starting problem on my vw golf mk4 2001 pd115 AJM, it struggles to start but when it does it runs fine, (it sounds like its firing and getting fuel)but i could turn it off and it will start straight away but then it mite not! but will not start on a slope/hill! i took to a garage and was told cam worn, so had new cam and lifters etc new cam belt kit but still the same! i am stook and dont know where to look next.
forgot to say theres a small nocking noise over 2000 revs but not under

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
I hope someone did a fuel pressure check. There are lots of things it could be, most of wish can be eliminated by testing. Do you have a CEL?

stemoody32

TDI
golf mk4 gttdi 115 pd
sorry to sound like i dont know what im talking about but i dont rely know much about diesels, whats CEL? i took it to my local garage and he took the rocker cover off, and said cam and lifters worn, so he replaced cam and bearings with lifters and new cam belt kit and cost me £600, i had it plugged in to vag com and it cam up with injector cylinder1 and intake manifold flap, well thats what he told me! i olugged my vag com in and clicked on engine and fault codes but came up with none.

kylej

TDI
2001 Volkswagen jetta
sounds like fuel pump issues. you should really have the fuel pressures and intake restrictions checked. I would suggest taking it to a garage and asking them to do that for you.

stemoody32

TDI
golf mk4 gttdi 115 pd
i plugged it in to vagcom today and read the injectors, inj 1 +1.80mg. inj 2 -0.65mg.
inj 3 -0.67mg. inj 4 -0.28mg.
im guessing that injector 1 is faulty, if so will this cause the problem im having?

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
While that is not good injector balance, I would look elsewhere for starting issues.

As mentioned before, look at fuel supply issues (which can cause injector imbalance as well).

Does your PD have a fuel lift pump in the tank? I have been told that early PD engine in Europe did not have the lift pumps. All sold in the US had them.

You can look at your fuel tank under the rear passenger seat (probably). Just lift the seat bottom (rotates forward and up from where the seat back meets the seat bottom) and then remove the three large cross point (Phillips) screws and metal cover. If you have 4 wires going into the top, then it has a lift pump.

The lift pump should run for a second or so each time you turn the key to ON (not START.)

If it does not have a lift pump, then you could still have fuel problems, such as air leaking into the fuel system, preventing fuel from being drawn from the tank properly.

stemoody32

TDI
golf mk4 gttdi 115 pd
i had a look and yes the pump has 4 cables on it! i take it that it is a lift pump, could this be faulty? if so how do i find out? i would of thought that vag com would of thrown me a fault code!

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
There are no fault codes for the fuel system, until you get to the injectors.

It can be faulty.
Turn the key to ON, you should hear it run for one second. If you do not hear it (stand over it and have someone else do the key) then it has a problem. Usually it is the pump itself. But it can be the fuse or the relay.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
PD Fuel System Checkout be careful with this document. All the resistance and voltage numbers came from one car (mine) so there is no recommended band. It also was written for the Jetta/Golf PD 100 sold in the North American market. I have no idea if relays, fuses, etc are the same for your car.

Last edited:

stemoody32

TDI
golf mk4 gttdi 115 pd
i will give it a go tomorrow, il check the fuse bit but the other bit is abit much for me i think! do you have any theorys on the knocking noise when over 2000revs?

stemoody32

TDI
golf mk4 gttdi 115 pd
i also forgot to say that when i turn ignition on i can hear the fuel rush forward, so i would take it that the pump was working, and as soon as it is started theres no running problems!

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
If you can hear the fuel pumping when you turn the key to ON (before START), then the pump is obviously ok.
What had me looking at the pump was your mention of it not starting on a hill or slope.