www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old December 26th, 2008, 16:51   #46
WalterGerhardt

TDI(s): 2005 Beetle

No to add a sour note, but I duct taped off my grill one winter day. Traveling from Toledo to Detroit Metro airport, I overheated. My Bug just has an idoit light. Installed a cheapee temperature gauge at the radiator.

I have to tell you that my Bug will blow heat pretty quickly even tho the coolant will stay around 150 F when OAT is 10 degrees F.

Question, do you have a temp guage or an idiot light? Becareful if going on long hauls.

2005 TDI Pump Duese Bug
75,000 miles
Frankfort, IL (burb of Chicago)

Last edited by WalterGerhardt; January 14th, 2009 at 18:20.
WalterGerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2008, 19:48   #47
RacerTodd
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: about 50

Did the pipe insulation "winter front" the last two weeks for our once-every-twenty-years Snow-mageddon (or was it Snow-pocalypse?) here in Seattle. High temps were in the upper 20's, a couple of morning starts were in the 13-16deg range. Ran it today in 37deg weather with no problems.
I did blocked all the bottom grilles and all but the top slot of the upper grille so as not to block the engine air intake. Car warmed up faster than it did in 40deg weather, good heat in stop&go traffic, gauge parked on 190 at all times as usual. Looked like this:

BTW - studded Hakka 5's rock! 6-8" of snow on compact snow/ice or wet slush and the car was unstoppable up and down any of our barely plowed hills. I was surprised how few times I saw the ESP or ASR light flash and how few times the ABS kicked in.
'01 Golf TDI, silver. (new work car) 558,000 miles!
'87 Golf, Polar Silver. (retired work car) 654,000 miles <- Gone to a new home
RacerTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2008, 19:52   #48
redlinedave
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: around 5.9/100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock_from_WI
I had been doing the pipe insulation trick but wanted to do a better block since my trip is only 11 miles to and from work at 40 mph max, it never warms up. I put cardboard behind the upper grill and popped out the lower grills and used gaff tape (a black duct tape that leaves no residue) to cover them. I now have spares so if I have to do any highway driving or a longer trip I can pop out the covered ones and pop in the regular one, although just taking them out would work as well. I am now thinking of using something like clear packing tape; I wonder how that might look? But since I have spare grills packing tape sticking wouldn't bother me to much.

I just Saran Wrap them
Old December 27th, 2008, 16:47   #49
2td

I agree with Bruce, My last car had more tube than fins thanks to salt. Till the robin sings, my bottom grill is sealed with coroplast. To the top I was going to use velcro something,,but I like your pipe insulation idea in case the weather spikes.. My friend in Fargo uses a full tarp.. He has no ground effects on his l989,, I don't think I could get away with that since my 06 has a full bottom pan.. I'm thinking the only place to grab a data bit would be to somehow know when the main fan cycles....
2td is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2008, 16:57   #50
2td

Thanks cmb4 I was wandering how to take out the vw hole, I want to put a projection driving lamp in its place.. Tucker tdi....
2td is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2008, 17:04   #51
brucep
Veteran Member

TDI(s): peebs4u2
Fuel Economy: best is 56MPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock_from_WI
I had been doing the pipe insulation trick but wanted to do a better block since my trip is only 11 miles to and from work at 40 mph max, it never warms up. I put cardboard behind the upper grill and popped out the lower grills and used gaff tape (a black duct tape that leaves no residue) to cover them. I now have spares so if I have to do any highway driving or a longer trip I can pop out the covered ones and pop in the regular one, although just taking them out would work as well. I am now thinking of using something like clear packing tape; I wonder how that might look? But since I have spare grills packing tape sticking wouldn't bother me to much.

It appears that you have covered the intercooler intake. You may wish to reconsider what you have done and uncover the intercooler intake.
brucep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2008, 18:36   #52
NarfBLAST
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.8 - 4.5 (40 - 52)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2td
I'm thinking the only place to grab a data bit would be to somehow know when the main fan cycles....
ScangaugeII gives your precise coolant temperature. Also records the maximum temperature this trip, today, yesterday, and this tank.
Sprint 520's / RC3 / turbo delete
The NARFmobile blog / push button ignition / thrustmaster shifter / http://narfblast.com
NarfBLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2008, 18:53   #53
NB_TDi

Fuel Economy: Best 56MPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep
It appears that you have covered the intercooler intake. You may wish to reconsider what you have done and uncover the intercooler intake.
Why? If it's cold enough out it will be fine.

1994 Jetta 1.8 2000 Jetta TDI, 2005 Jetta 2.0, 2010 Tiguan 2.0 TFSI 4Motion, 2014 Jetta 2.0
Everytime you post a picture with PhotoBucket, a TDI gets below 30MPG.
NB_TDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2008, 19:14   #54
Pat Dolan
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 800km/1100km/tank

Why bother with all of the tape/insulation/backing strips? Call a Canadian cold-country dealer (MB/SK/AB) and order a winter front for your car. Here is a thread on this forum http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=126834 but nothing near as nice as what we get from out dealer (sorry, no pics on their site). We have a soft cloth backed vinyl cover that clips underneath the lower edge of the front bumper glove and behind the top edge of the grille insert (under the hood). That completely covers all of the center are air intakes (leaving IC duct open). I imagine that they sell NB as well as the omnipresent Golf/Jetta covers.

Since this is one of the coldest-blooded cars made since the Bug, you can't even BEGIN to think of driving one in this part of the country without a proper winter front and max value thermostat (aftermarket couple of degrees higher than VW doesn't run the fan constantly).
Old December 28th, 2008, 14:08   #55
TDIFLIP

I just did this today on my 09 TDI, bought 3/4 inch insulation from Home Depot for $1.34, picked up 4 for a grand total of $5.36. No need to buy the more expensive insulation with pre-cut slits (lengthwise) and adhesive, just buy the cheaper kind. I only used less than 2 of the 6 foot insulation and will use the extra insulation just in case I lose the installed ones. Just a tip....(for lower grill) measure the vertical slits using the insulation and cut a little past the halfway point. After doing this on all the vertical slits, test on the grill to make sure it fits. Remove and use this as a guide for the 3 remaining grills. All the vertical slits lined up at the same location, all you need to do is trim the ends of each insulation as the length slightly shortens as you go down. You can also do this for the top grill, you just need to flip the insulation so the slits line up. It seems the deeper you cut slits without completely tearing it off the better it fits, you push the insulation in better and looks better (no bulges).

Total time: Less than an hour (I was miticulous with the cutting)

I haven't tested it yet, I'll find out tomorrow when I go to work and I will let you guys know if I notice a difference.

Good luck to those thinking of doing this in the future.
TDIFLIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2008, 19:37   #56
RacerTodd
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: about 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Dolan
Why bother with all of the tape/insulation/backing strips? Call a Canadian cold-country dealer (MB/SK/AB) and order a winter front for your car.
One: The factory winter front completely covers the upper grille, but it only covers 1 of the 3 openings in the large lower grille and none of the smaller grille below that. Pipe insulation or other methods can cover up the lower grilles.

Two: Some of use are plain cheap. I paid $3 for two 6' lengths of insulation versus $30 for the factory front. The difference in cost is almost a full tank of fuel.
'01 Golf TDI, silver. (new work car) 558,000 miles!
'87 Golf, Polar Silver. (retired work car) 654,000 miles <- Gone to a new home
RacerTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2008, 07:59   #57
cdnhawk

Just did this easy mod on Saturday.. works VERY well. No more freezing to death for me. Thanks TDI club once again!

Happy New Year all.

Jason
cdnhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2008, 08:28   #58
Nevada_TDI
Veteran Member

I too have pipe insulation blocking the grille openings in my Jetta. My Intercooler inlet grille is uncovered to allow some movement of air just in case.
I only got 180* water temps (taken with GC coolant sensor) even with a hour of driving time, so I half covered the condenser with a flexible cutting board from the dollar store; I got another 10* to 190 or so. No overheating occurs when driving in town too.

Shabat Shalom!
2001 Jetta GL TDI, Tinted, Ventectomy, Catectomy, EGR-ectomy, TDTuning, HIFLO .216's, Stealth 17/56 Garrett, VCDS Hex+CAN, South Bend Daily Driver 2 Clutch, DG Short Shifter, Frostheater, Baldwin Fuel Filter, Previous Diesel: 1983 Rabbit Diesel
Nevada_TDI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2009, 10:50   #59
hobbyshop
Veteran Member

quick question.. i have a FMIC.. so i'm guessing i can't really block off anything since my intercooler sits right in front of the rad...
hobbyshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2009, 11:06   #60
Nevada_TDI
Veteran Member

hobbyshop, if your FMIC sits in front of your condenser, you insert the "grille block" between the condenser and the radiator. The only reason I didn't put the block between the rad and the condenser on mine was; I was in a hurry that day and didn't put zip tie handles in them to fish them back out.
2001 Jetta GL TDI, Tinted, Ventectomy, Catectomy, EGR-ectomy, TDTuning, HIFLO .216's, Stealth 17/56 Garrett, VCDS Hex+CAN, South Bend Daily Driver 2 Clutch, DG Short Shifter, Frostheater, Baldwin Fuel Filter, Previous Diesel: 1983 Rabbit Diesel
Nevada_TDI is online now   Reply With Quote