www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old December 8th, 2006, 11:14   #16
badgolfer
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2006 Jetta

That's a great idea! My temp gauge hasn't hit 190 the last few mornings for the entire ride home from my night shifts, and it's a 35 mile ride.
Old December 8th, 2006, 14:53   #17
MikeS_18
Veteran Member

Okay, I was at the Home Depot today and they also have this in BLACK....
MikeS_18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2006, 10:21   #18
JB05
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43/41/40

I found black at the local Ace Hardware in Arlington Heights @ $1.99.
I bought the one inch size and opened up the tubing to wrap around
the horizontal part of the lower grill after cutting slots for the vertical.
Now I'm due for a test drive. While at the store I looked around for other
ideas, but this approach seems to be more logical. From far away it's
hardly noticeable. Scurvy, thanx for the idea.
JB
JB05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2006, 13:20   #19
Audiofyl
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~40

I did mine last year and just put them on again for this year about a week ago when the extreme cold hit.

2004 Subaru Forester XT 5MT
03 honda cbr600rr
2009 yamaha zuma 125
Audiofyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2006, 09:27   #20
TDIdenver
Veteran Member

I have done this through Vermont winters and NY winters, and I highly recommend it. Yeah, it may look a little weird, but it looks better than a wreath. Works like a charm. The engine is able to warm up faster and thus, the interior is warm MUCH faster. I do recommend using some zipties to keep them attached. I got a warning from a state police officer when one fell off in front of him. The warning was for littering. GRRRR.
TDIdenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2006, 17:46   #21
Brock_from_WI
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2003 wagon
Fuel Economy: 62/54/45

I had been doing the pipe insulation trick but wanted to do a better block since my trip is only 11 miles to and from work at 40 mph max, it never warms up. I put cardboard behind the upper grill and popped out the lower grills and used gaff tape (a black duct tape that leaves no residue) to cover them. I now have spares so if I have to do any highway driving or a longer trip I can pop out the covered ones and pop in the regular one, although just taking them out would work as well. I am now thinking of using something like clear packing tape; I wonder how that might look? But since I have spare grills packing tape sticking wouldn't bother me to much.

Brock_from_WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2006, 18:17   #22
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 75.0/53.0/38.4

Brock - Clear packing tape works, but starts to look bad after a month or two - gets road crap behinnd it. This is what I used/tried last winter. I like the looks and idea of seperate grills in black.

Another thing to use is backing rod - it's used to put behind gaps in things (concrete usually) so when you seal it up it does not take as much sealant. My local hardware store had it in sizes ranging from 1/4" to 1-1/2" - works well. Can use this to block the horizontal bars between the headlights - it tucks up in there nicely and you have to be on the ground looking at the grill to see it. Just cut a notch in the backing rod where there is a vertical protrusion so it does not bulge like some of the other pics on this thread.

Covering the intercooler inlet (passenger side bottom grill) might also help the car warm up faster - I noticed that my EGT's are ~100F hotter with this blocked off. Probably hurts high load for long duration performance, but, I rarely do that anyway.
03 Jetta, Cat 2u, DG Steel SP w/MOGolf Mod, 3"DP, 4"EXH, EaBP100 Bypass, Euroswitch, ECodes, Driving Light, PD Lift Pump, R520's, RC5,RC6, TDTuning, Malone, ScanGaugeII, 3" TIP, 2" TOP, HE221W Compounded with GTC1444VZ, 6 Bar MAP, VR6 MAF, Vented Fender Liner, Battery Cover Mod, 11mm, Monster Mats, 215/55/17 (27.9/53.0/75) Monthly MPG Links, Euro Trunk Latch, IDParts RSB, SDI or ALH Intake, ARL Ceramic Pistons, Rosten Rods, DRW, Wavetrac, SBC, FSD's, Beef Springs, Rebuilt Head, Recaro's, Colt II, DG Sigma 6, RMT200
Fix_Until_Broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2006, 19:36   #23
burpod
teh stallionz!!1

i just did half of this mod today, in my golf and jetta... i've only done the upper grill - but left the top part open just to keep more air going to the intake...

golf:

jetta (in the dark):
88 scirocco
AHU 2056vl build... delayed...05 jetta tdi & 06 golf tdi
burpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2007, 07:32   #24
mechanicalbrew
Veteran Member

should just the "lower" grille be covered or the lower and upper? i am not going to cover the lower sides due to the intercooler and intake

...become "one" with your dub...do your own wrenching. your car will thank you!
mechanicalbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2007, 08:12   #25
MikeS_18
Veteran Member

upper and lower is okay as far as i know. It all allows the cold air in when you are trying to get warmed up.

and you're right on the lower left and right too.
MikeS_18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2007, 11:34   #26
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 75.0/53.0/38.4

The lower left is blocked off already, the lower right (intercooler inlet) can be blocked off as well. A little bit warmer air from the turbo will help the car warm up, and as long as you're not trying to pull a trailer over the rocky mountians, there won't be a significant performance change.

I run mine blocked off all summer and the only time I noticed anything different was when I was pulling the trailer when it was 80F out and the A/C was on. (IAT's were ~225F). I stopped and removed the lower center and intercooler grills and the temps dropped to ~125F.

For the most effective result, block all frontal passages.
03 Jetta, Cat 2u, DG Steel SP w/MOGolf Mod, 3"DP, 4"EXH, EaBP100 Bypass, Euroswitch, ECodes, Driving Light, PD Lift Pump, R520's, RC5,RC6, TDTuning, Malone, ScanGaugeII, 3" TIP, 2" TOP, HE221W Compounded with GTC1444VZ, 6 Bar MAP, VR6 MAF, Vented Fender Liner, Battery Cover Mod, 11mm, Monster Mats, 215/55/17 (27.9/53.0/75) Monthly MPG Links, Euro Trunk Latch, IDParts RSB, SDI or ALH Intake, ARL Ceramic Pistons, Rosten Rods, DRW, Wavetrac, SBC, FSD's, Beef Springs, Rebuilt Head, Recaro's, Colt II, DG Sigma 6, RMT200
Fix_Until_Broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2008, 10:36   #27
iBran

TDI(s): 2003 Golf

I just did this to my gasser last night. I blocked all of the grille sections except for the lowest set of slats. I took it out for a drive right away--the engine was still warm, so I can't report on faster heat yet--but at least it didn't overheat.

I'll report back later... I'm about to leave for work, and the engine will be cold from sitting all night. Hopefully we'll see a quicker warmup!
iBran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2008, 20:44   #28
NarfBLAST
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.8 - 4.5 (40 - 52)

did my uppers with pipe insulation
did the lower removeable grille with solid duct tape (has lasted a month! will probably leave a mess, if I ever remove it)
also removed the crome from the VW logo and duct taped it solid behind the crome
left the single slot in the black plastic lower piece open... hey thats where my TDIHeater cord hangs out anyway

I think it makes a difference.
Sprint 520's / RC3 / turbo delete
The NARFmobile blog / push button ignition / thrustmaster shifter / http://narfblast.com
NarfBLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 12:47   #29
NarfBLAST
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.8 - 4.5 (40 - 52)

Lightly salted...
Sprint 520's / RC3 / turbo delete
The NARFmobile blog / push button ignition / thrustmaster shifter / http://narfblast.com
NarfBLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2008, 09:37   #30
climbtheplanet

TDI(s): 2001 Golf
Fuel Economy: 41

It is now between 0 degrees and 40 degrees F here now depending on weather conditions and nightime/daytime, so. . .

I just installed the "pipe insulation" method and I noticed an immediate positive difference. My engine warms up much quicker, my heater works far faster and does not decrease my coolant temps when driving at low speeds with the blower on high and my SVO fuel temperature increases far faster and stays hotter. In fact, it works so well I am going to keep a close eye on my coolant temps to make sure it does not work too well. Plus it all cost me about 6 bucks. I would recommend cutting slits for the vertical bars in the grill and used zip ties to secure the foam to the grill. Thanks for the tip everyone!
climbtheplanet is offline   Reply With Quote