Buyback Value dropped $1800 after accepted offer letter

SteveHaller

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
I wonder if I have any recourse to appeal or challege this? I received an email after the pre-surrener call, and the value of my offer dropped by $1800. I am in Canada, and not sure of the specific breakdown by kms on the vehicle that determines the buyback value? My point is that I had provided an accurate odometer reading during the documentation process and going through the offer siging and acceptace. The differece in the actual odometer reading at the time of the pre-surrender call, about 8-10 days later was a mere 150 km or so. This is negligble. They keep referring back to the clause in the offer letter about "estimate only". So the point here is that they really did not review the acutal mileage on the car during the offer acceptance process, and only did so after the pre-surrender call. Any thoughts or guidance on this?

Also, as above, does anyone have the forumula as to how the value is calculated? I have seen for US cars, but not for Canada.

Thanks

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
I wonder if I have any recourse to appeal or challege this? I received an email after the pre-surrener call, and the value of my offer dropped by $1800. I am in Canada, and not sure of the specific breakdown by kms on the vehicle that determines the buyback value? My point is that I had provided an accurate odometer reading during the documentation process and going through the offer siging and acceptace. The differece in the actual odometer reading at the time of the pre-surrender call, about 8-10 days later was a mere 150 km or so. This is negligble. They keep referring back to the clause in the offer letter about "estimate only". So the point here is that they really did not review the acutal mileage on the car during the offer acceptance process, and only did so after the pre-surrender call. Any thoughts or guidance on this?

Also, as above, does anyone have the forumula as to how the value is calculated? I have seen for US cars, but not for Canada.

Thanks

Do the BB calculation and figure out if the letter was correct, or the actual offer was correct. Or maybe neither was correct.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Is there a missing Bosch amount?
Bosch payment is independent of VWoA check they cut for buyback

(at least it was for our buybacks last year in the states)

As for the OP, Can VWoA state why the drop between the estimate and offer?

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
Back when this process started, those of us with the earliest buyback dates were reporting discrepancies like yours and the prevailing theory was that they weren't manually updating the letters based on reported mileage during the acceptance stage.

The turn-in mileage is all that matters and if you walk the final payment back from your actual mileage driven you should be receiving the correct amount. Turn it in, then if you don't receive what you are supposed to be receiving (based on the tables, not on the initial offer letter) *then* raise a stink but more likely than not this final amount is the true buyback you should and will receive.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
The terms are in the settlement. Online calculators and other kinds of estimates are unreliable.

SteveHaller

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
The terms are in the settlement. Online calculators and other kinds of estimates are unreliable.
Where is the settlement available? Nothing I have seen has this level of detail including the milage brackets. Bear in mind, I am in Canada, so different class action suit and settlement.

dataiv

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Wagon TDI 6MT
Where is the settlement available? Nothing I have seen has this level of detail including the milage brackets. Bear in mind, I am in Canada, so different class action suit and settlement.

I believe you are correct that the tables aren't visible for us Canadians. I remember reading somewhere to contact to class counsel if you can't get it resolved, or you can call the Ricepoint line and have them reset your claim so you can use the calculator again.

In my case, just for comparison, I got the email from the claims administrator while still on the phone with the person, and it was for the same as the estimate. Mine is a 2011 Golf Wagon with 164000km and will be going back with barely any more, since I mostly haven't been driving it.

I hope you get it sorted out. $1800 seems like a lot for it to change last minute! If it were me, I would definitely call around to either or both of the above and try and sort out how and why it changed.

SteveHaller

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
There is also a facebook group on this topic that I have been active in. A suggestion there, given the absence of reliable tables/calculators for Canada, was to register on the portal using a different email, and go as far as entering a number of odometer readings to determine where the buyback value changes.

So I did that, registered with a different email and went as far as the "Understand your options, steps 8-12" in the portal. By submitting different values for the "your current mileage" option on the portal and continually regenerating the offer, I was able to precisely narrow down what is happening. At 116,333 km, my total settlement is $24,650, and by adding just 1km, at 116,334 km, my total settlment drops by $1800 to $22,850. Even more angry with VW now!!!! Wish the thresholds would have been clearly provided through the process as I could have managed to them. What recourse do I have to appeal or challenge this? I don't mind a slight reduction in my offer, but losing $1800 for barely crossing into the next threshold is extremely infuriating��

I have called the VW Claims line a number of times in recent days, and as of now, have an official escalation number in hand. Will see what happens... some other posts have suggested it sucks and I probably do not have much recourse. LMK any thoughts on this.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
There is also a facebook group on this topic that I have been active in. A suggestion there, given the absence of reliable tables/calculators for Canada, was to register on the portal using a different email, and go as far as entering a number of odometer readings to determine where the buyback value changes.

So I did that, registered with a different email and went as far as the "Understand your options, steps 8-12" in the portal. By submitting different values for the "your current mileage" option on the portal and continually regenerating the offer, I was able to precisely narrow down what is happening. At 116,333 km, my total settlement is $24,650, and by adding just 1km, at 116,334 km, my total settlment drops by $1800 to $22,850. Even more angry with VW now!!!! Wish the thresholds would have been clearly provided through the process as I could have managed to them. What recourse do I have to appeal or challenge this? I don't mind a slight reduction in my offer, but losing $1800 for barely crossing into the next threshold is extremely infuriating��

I have called the VW Claims line a number of times in recent days, and as of now, have an official escalation number in hand. Will see what happens... some other posts have suggested it sucks and I probably do not have much recourse. LMK any thoughts on this.
Your best chance of success is to hold on to the car until you earn that $1800 dollars back. The buyback amount is a function of time and mileage. Check the calculations you're using to figure out when the time threshold is for you gaining the $1800 back. If it's only a few months can you delay your turn-in?

JoshMcMadMac

TDI
NMS Passat SE

If you would have waited until the first of next month, you would have earned that $1800 back. They have to have brackets for mileage. As frustrating as it is, you cannot say "it is only 1km different" as that snowballs...the rule is the rule and making an exception is not going to happen. It is unfortunate that this is not better laid out for you in Canada, as the U.S. has the settlement agreement available in writing along with the calculators you have seen.

SteveHaller

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
If you would have waited until the first of next month, you would have earned that $1800 back. They have to have brackets for mileage. As frustrating as it is, you cannot say "it is only 1km different" as that snowballs...the rule is the rule and making an exception is not going to happen. It is unfortunate that this is not better laid out for you in Canada, as the U.S. has the settlement agreement available in writing along with the calculators you have seen.
I am interested to understand more when you say if I had waited until the first of next month?? I have not turned in my car yet, and I do have the option to change the date or maybe by exceeding the 2000 km, force a re-evaluation. Before I do any of this though, I would be looking for more specific details. How can I be sure that waiting until the 1st of next month will get me my $1800 back?

dataiv

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Wagon TDI 6MT
Your best chance of success is to hold on to the car until you earn that $1800 dollars back. The buyback amount is a function of time and mileage. Check the calculations you're using to figure out when the time threshold is for you gaining the $1800 back. If it's only a few months can you delay your turn-in?

Yes, if you are close to the threshold where it goes back up by $1800, waiting a bit should work. You get 2000km per month of additional "allowable" kilometers, I believe. So waiting would put you back up, if you can delay a month or two (or a few).

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
I am interested to understand more when you say if I had waited until the first of next month?? I have not turned in my car yet, and I do have the option to change the date or maybe by exceeding the 2000 km, force a re-evaluation. Before I do any of this though, I would be looking for more specific details. How can I be sure that waiting until the 1st of next month will get me my $1800 back?
since your tables aren't published, the best bet would be to go back in with your extra account and change turn in dates along with mileage until you get the 1800 back. Input current odometer reading and then keep changing your turn in date until it increases your offer, then keep increasing your mileage until it drops your offer and that will be the upper mileage limit before you must turn it in.

Armby

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf
I am also right on a km limit for the Canadian buy back. In my case it would make $1250 difference if I go over 86,000 km or if I return it before July 1.

The only way to figure out the thresholds seems to be at Step 11 (& you can’t go back to step 11 once you pass it). As suggested you may be able to use a different email address to start over, but I don’t know if a new application with a duplicate VIN would be an issue.

In my case I got lucky and one of my front coil springs broke and was diagnosed at 85,985 km. I wasn’t about to pay to repair the spring and my mechanic said it would be dangerous to keep driving, so I drove it home (5km) and it’s been parked since (about 4 weeks ago). I played with the numbers and times at Step 11 and found out if I waited until July 1 for the buyback and stayed under 86,000 I would collect the extra $1250. I don’t take credit for it working out for me. I just got lucky news at the right time and km.

I have a buyback appointment scheduled for July 9. RicePoint called to confirm my current mileage a few days ago. I told him 85,990 and got a updated offer including the extra $1250. The offer allows you 2000km more than what you declare in your phone call but I am not sure if the extra 2000 puts you over a threshold they wouldn’t try to adjust the $ amount down, so I am not going to test that.

My drive to the dealer is 7 km, so I will be rolling it at 85,997 km.

By the way, the spiel by the RicePoint rep on the call said that all factory equipment must be returned, including wheels. I long ago gave my alloy wheels to my son and will be showing up on steelies with bald winter tires. When I queried him about the wheels all he would do is repeat the script. I’ll let you know what happens at my buyback.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dataiv

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Wagon TDI 6MT
I am returning my 2011 tomorrow. I will post to let you know about the wheels, as I too don't have the originals that came with the car more 7 years ago (two were bent in potholes towards the end of one winter 3 or 4 years ago, in an unlucky stretch of road). When I replaced them, I used aftermarket ones. I told that to the Ricepoint person and I got a similar response but also was told it should be okay, and "do you have the receipt?".

SteveHaller

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
Yes, if you are close to the threshold where it goes back up by $1800, waiting a bit should work. You get 2000km per month of additional "allowable" kilometers, I believe. So waiting would put you back up, if you can delay a month or two (or a few).
Excellent advise from you and others on this thread. Can't thank you enough!!
Now, it turns out with my current mileage, and just chaning my offer date to July 21 ( the first available date in th etool), I am able to reclaim the $1800, at least based on what the tool tells me when I regenerate. I assume this is accurate.
So now, my appointment is 2 days from now on Jun 28. Does anyone have any advice on the best way to cancel this and take advantage of the regenerated offer? I am not sure if just moving my appointment out is enough... Or is it? Or do I need to go through the offer acceptance & signing process again? Hopefully someone has some input on the best way to appraoch this with Ricepoint. Thanks again!

SteveHaller

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
I am also right on a km limit for the Canadian buy back. In my case it would make $1250 difference if I go over 86,000 km or if I return it before July 1.

> My drive to the dealer is 7 km, so I will be rolling it at 85,997 km.
>
> By the way, the spiel by the RicePoint rep on the call said that all factory equipment must be returned, including wheels. I long ago gave my alloy wheels to my son and will be showing up on steelies with
> bald winter tires. When I queried him about the wheels all he would do is repeat the script. I’ll let you know what happens at my buyback.

Let me know how this goes with the wheels, I considered the same, and then put it asside based on the Ricepoint blurb on this. With my potential rescheduled appointment in about 3-4 weeks, I may do the same.

Last edited:

dataiv

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Wagon TDI 6MT
Excellent advise from you and others on this thread. Can't thank you enough!!
Now, it turns out with my current mileage, and just chaning my offer date to July 21 ( the first available date in th etool), I am able to reclaim the $1800, at least based on what the tool tells me when I regenerate. I assume this is accurate.
So now, my appointment is 2 days from now on Jun 28. Does anyone have any advice on the best way to cancel this and take advantage of the regenerated offer? I am not sure if just moving my appointment out is enough... Or is it? Or do I need to go through the offer acceptance & signing process again? Hopefully someone has some input on the best way to appraoch this with Ricepoint. Thanks again!

I think, if you can still, just log in and change the appointment to sometime after that date. Then they'll do the pre-surrender call again and update the value based on the date and mileage. If you can't cancel it online, just call the claims number and explain that you need to change the appointment to later. Then log in and reschedule. I do not think you need to re-do the process because in the process it says all values are estimates, until they send you the update after the pre-surrender call. So at the time of your pre-surrender call for the new appointment date you should get a correct updated value.

dataiv

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Wagon TDI 6MT
Let me know how this goes with the wheels, I considered the same, and then put it asside based on the Ricepoint blurb on this. With my potential rescheduled appointment in about 3-4 weeks, I may do the same.

No problem with my non-VW alloys. They were my old winter wheels. No mention of it after they inspected the car. Still an external employee that travels around the different local dealers here to handle the appointments. The whole process took about 10 minutes from me walking in the door, to walking out with the cheque.