www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI (Diesel) Emissions

TDI (Diesel) Emissions This is a discussion about emissions from TDI's. Pro's cons of Diesels (including biodiesel) effects on the environment and how they compare to Gasoline and other fuel sources for Internal combustion engines.

Old March 14th, 2020, 12:18   #16
turbovan+tdi
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by da.hs View Post
My 2004 Touareg cost its first owner $99k (I have a photo of its window sticker), around $129k today corrected for inflation. If someone has money and inclination to buy new, why not?
That is true, but most don't, finance it etc, make stupid monthly payments. New vehicles are way over priced and too complex.
turbovan+tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2020, 06:45   #17
GlowBugTDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43 mpg average

here's my question as now epa is going after tuners. Whats the difference or why is a dirty diesel worse then a jet, or a cargo ship? how is that possible even when there's many thousands of tuned diesels? is a diesel really any worse than one of those lambo's that can catch themselves on fire because of unburnt gas they can spew from the exhaust when reving hard? or any worse then NASCAR (or similar) races would be for the environment? (and no i don't dislike nascar or anything) I also hate it when people go after the farmers diesels, because they unfortunately think food, and milk grows i the store and don't understand how hard farming is....
it just doesn't all make sense to me...
GlowBugTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2020, 07:35   #18
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Nothing is worse than the other really in the big scheme of things. Things pollute. But what else can you do for a jet or cargo ships? Not all that much really right now. But some gains can be had with cars and trucks. Blame the soot spewing a**hats for the problems here. Otherwise, for the most part, tuned people would be invisible. When you bring attention to yourself from doing really stupid illegal things, right in front of people, expect to get hammered.
Old March 23rd, 2020, 11:25   #19
prsa01
Veteran Member

Local vs global impact. Many of the car emissions restrictions are in place for areas crowded with cars and/or prone to inversions. In the less crowded areas the trade-off of lower mileage for lower NOx emissions is (mostly) counter productive. However, in a city where they form ozone and smog it becomes a local health issue.

Last edited by prsa01; March 23rd, 2020 at 11:31.
prsa01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2020, 16:22   #20
GlowBugTDI
Veteran Member

yep, that all makes sense.
Old March 23rd, 2020, 20:58   #21
KERMA

EPA and CARB presented a seminar at the SEMA show. They said the "delete tune and straight pipe" trucks, when considered together were THE single largest source of air polution in the country right now, bar none. Not even close, more than every other polution source COMBINED. As hard as that may be for you to believe, and as much as you may wish it to not be so, it is their position and belief, which is what matters. Eliminating this source of polution is their number one enforcement priority at present.

More detail in this thread
No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical. - Niels Bohr
KERMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2020, 21:31   #22
DivineChaos
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KERMA View Post
EPA and CARB presented a seminar at the SEMA show. They said the "delete tune and straight pipe" trucks, when considered together were THE single largest source of air polution in the country right now, bar none. Not even close, more than every other polution source COMBINED. As hard as that may be for you to believe, and as much as you may wish it to not be so, it is their position and belief, which is what matters. Eliminating this source of polution is their number one enforcement priority at present.

but the lowe emissions required kills trucks causing more to me made. More parts made. more fuel used to transport said items. More fuel burned to produce electricity. What ends up being worse?
DivineChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2020, 06:12   #23
GlowBugTDI
Veteran Member

Quote:

I don't deny that diesels aren't great for the environment, i just find it interesting that they go after the avg american. What about scrubbers? or the coal mines in other country's? or trucking? (i think truckers are great, and it's still the best way to transport goods efficiently) I totally get trying to do our part to clean up after ourselves, but i think maybe they took it a lil to far. interesting thread thanks for making that. As turbobrick240 said further down on that one I kinda wonder if their going after the crazy HP, and high soot coal rollers...

I bet you the EPA would love to get their hands on whistling diesel!
I'm almost sure he's on there wanted list lol

Last edited by GlowBugTDI; March 24th, 2020 at 06:24.
Old March 24th, 2020, 06:20   #24
GlowBugTDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineChaos View Post
but the lowe emissions required kills trucks causing more to me made. More parts made. more fuel used to transport said items. More fuel burned to produce electricity. What ends up being worse?
Which makes electric look better, and sense it's cheaper to fuel (right now), and less parts then people will switch (makes sense), but is it impossible to run a country with even half of everyone runing EV right now. There just isn't a way to make that much electric. plus once all the "dirty petrol vehicles" are gone you think electric will stay as cheap as it is now? lol
Old March 24th, 2020, 06:34   #25
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

If you aren't one of the minority of those who have tuned their cars (coal rollers especially) or deleted emissions equipment, life goes on normally just like before. Get in and drive your gas/diesel/hybrid/electric car and enjoy life. Fuel is cheap right now so enjoy that for the time being. It will be quite some time before electric cars make up half of the vehicles out there. Currently they are way too expensive for the average person to even afford and not suited to many peoples driving requirements. But the day is coming at some point in the future.
Old March 24th, 2020, 07:38   #26
GlowBugTDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
If you aren't one of the minority of those who have tuned their cars (coal rollers especially) or deleted emissions equipment, life goes on normally just like before. Get in and drive your gas/diesel/hybrid/electric car and enjoy life. Fuel is cheap right now so enjoy that for the time being. It will be quite some time before electric cars make up half of the vehicles out there. Currently they are way too expensive for the average person to even afford and not suited to many peoples driving requirements. But the day is coming at some point in the future.
yup, i agree!

curious tho if the EPA is going after the tuners like i have read will that effect what tunes we are able to get?
Old March 24th, 2020, 09:16   #27
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

EPA will have a hard time getting to anyone outside the US. It's dealers though could be a target. But with OBDII tools the DIY method will still work. Political pressure on Canada and other countries that are friendly to the US may come into play too. As the EPA goes after more and more companies I think you will start to see things dry up. I think they are only going after the more egregious examples though and hoping others will fall into line. I don't know at what point a tune becomes illegal or non compliant though. Rolling coal or obvious smoking will certainly draw attention though. The better tunes don't do this though from my experience.
Old March 24th, 2020, 12:31   #28
iamatt
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45

Quote:
Sure they said that at a car show for car people but I'm in the oil and gas industry and calling 100% bull**** on their claim as targeting tuned vehicles as the largest pollution source. Just take a ride down the Houston Ship Channel towards the refineries.
2014 Jetta TDI sedan (new) ,2014 TDI Jetta Sport Wagon 6MT (Flooded) Amsoil HDD3000 20K OCI, GSP Mod (RIP Rosie 4/4/2015), 2011 Toyota 4 Runner SR5 (Flooded), 2007 Duramax (Flooded), slightly modded GSPv2 is here, Bellatrix "Bella" Hunting God's County, katygsp.com
Amsoil Dealer -
http://www.texas-synthetics.com
iamatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2020, 14:38   #29
DivineChaos
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlowBugTDI View Post
Which makes electric look better, and sense it's cheaper to fuel (right now), and less parts then people will switch (makes sense), but is it impossible to run a country with even half of everyone runing EV right now. There just isn't a way to make that much electric. plus once all the "dirty petrol vehicles" are gone you think electric will stay as cheap as it is now? lol
oh dont get me started on how many resources are burned producing the batteries for the ev..
DivineChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2020, 15:02   #30
GlowBugTDI
Veteran Member

Hahaha!, lol i won't

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk