www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Fuel Economy

TDI Fuel Economy Discussions about increasing the fuel economy of your TDI engine. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old May 14th, 2004, 16:33   #1
sparetimetoys

Fuel Economy: 47.8 MPG avg
Default 700 Mile club Who\'s in?

I did it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] 700 miles on a tank. fuel light came on with a little way to go but I hung in for the big 700 [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Did a bunch of coasting in neutral this car rolls great. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Im vented, and egr off, 8 oz power service, 42 psi in tires. What range do you get and how do you manage to do it.
sparetimetoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2004, 17:02   #2
Arthur
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 04 jetta

715 miles - 16.11 gallons

This was my best score and furthurst distance travelled. I ran 35 psi, 75 % highway driving at 60 mph almost never over that speed, powerservice + regular diesel.
Arthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2004, 17:27   #3
martytdi

After a trip to upstate ny and the rest driving to work and back I got 712 miles before my fuel light came on. I filled up and got 46.5 MPG. Not record breaking milage but with venting and getting decent milage 700 miles is easy. The challange is 800 miles. A trip with minimal stops and not traveling too fast, keeping it around 65 mph I can see getting 800 miles on a tank. I want to try...
martytdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2004, 17:35   #4
greenskeeper
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 53mpg

[ QUOTE ]
Did a bunch of coasting in neutral this car rolls great

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd actually get even better milage if you left the car in gear (provided you've got a manual) with the engine over-running...results in zero fuel consumption.

This comes in handy for my commute as I travel a 5 mile long hill on the way to work....of course it takes a little more fuel coming back up in the afternoon.
greenskeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2004, 18:29   #5
mannytranny
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 Jetta

Every tank...
mannytranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2004, 19:19   #6
gern_blanston
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 51/47/40 (Same as the CBR)

756.8 on 15.01 gallons yesterday.
(Did I ever mention that I love this car?!?)
gern_blanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2004, 19:29   #7
TDI_Convert
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50 mpg average

Dang it, missed by 25 miles. But, that tank had 140 miles towing a JD tractor - tractor/trailer combined weigh 1785#.
The hitch says 2,000# max! [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] filled up with 15.85 gal. That tank also had quite a few miles @ 75-80 mph. (USA)
TDI_Convert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2004, 12:19   #8
Vhunter
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: TDI - rarely under 50 MPG

Last year I went 782 miles after filling with venting, before the low fuel light came on.
Was running about 65 MPH all highway for all but about 15 miles of that, coming from Dayton OH
to back home. Decided I should fill up then instead of trying to get into the 800 mile club
since the next diesel station at that time of night was about 50 miles up the road and I
didn't know if it would be open when I got there..

Another time comeing from Rock Springs, WY to home, I went 745 miles with no low fuel light.
At that time I was running 78 MPH, according to GPS. For the first 640 miles of that trip I
didn't have to even touch the clutch after getting on I-80. After that, low bladder capacity
caused a pit stop about 100 miles from home.. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Its amazing how many times the same people
will pass you on a trip like this. I think one car passed me doing about 85 MPH 4 times
before I had to pull off the I'state.. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Several others passed me 2-3 times.. I wonder
who was actually making better time! haa haa!

Car has Mich. MXV-4's, 5 speed, .205 injectors, RC 3.1 chip, EGR got lost someplace too.. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Best to be driving with the wind too. One time with 3 bikes on the back, 30+ MPH head wind
and running 70 MPH I got about 39-40 MPG over a 400 mile highway jaunt... that sucked!

Drive ON!
Vhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2004, 13:01   #9
weedeater
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 54/43/38

800 is attainable on the highway. I've gotten over 700 before, I just didn't pay attention.
weedeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2004, 19:01   #10
Couleetdi
Veteran Member

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] <font color="blue">Just filled tonite on way back from Minnesota, visiting my cousin. Would have gone for the 800 mile thingy, but had not run the gauge this low before. Had plenty of room, even though just above empty line.
51.1 mpg/775.3 miles on 15.167 gallons. Filled with Cenex Roadmaster Premium XL Low Sulphur at $1.859. Prices went up three cents since this am. First 545 miles (about) were all in town and back and forth to work. </font>
<font color="purple">This tank was run with the Milligan Canola oil additive, first tank. I had two guys asking me about mileage while filling up. After filling, I started her up, and they could not believe how quiet the engine was, well me either. So both had to sit in the car and play for a few minutes. I paid for the fuel, then they asked to go for a short ride. Did that. I think we have two more winners. One guy had an older Rabbit diesel and loved it. </font>
So we'll see what happens with future tanks on Milligan diesel fuel conditioner which uses Canola Oil. So far I'm sold, it sure has made the engine quieter.
Couleekid
Couleetdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2004, 19:26   #11
mycruiseagent

Fuel Economy: 56.4/45.1/36.0

If you stick to the speed limit 700 should be attainable on almost every tank in a A4 Golf or Jetta. The sticking to the speed limit thing is the bigger achievement! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] If you can do that, 700 is a non-event.

MCA
mycruiseagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2004, 20:03   #12
PlaneCrazy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Gone...

700 miles is even easy if you drive like a madman. My last tank was driven, shall we say, with enthusiasm [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I filled up at 684 miles but the low-fuel light wasn't even on. I only refuelled today because it was convenient and I had a 200 km drive today.

And this is with the supposedly thirstier PD. All you ALH or older folks, should have absolutely no trouble seeing 700 miles, in fact my previous ALH routinely gave me 750 miles. Provided you vent properly to fill to max capacity.
PlaneCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2004, 20:32   #13
mobe
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Golf

If you are ventectomized and averaging 47.8 MPG as you list in your profile, you should hit 700+ miles/tank every time you fill.
Perhaps this is the first time you've let the fuel light come on? If not I would get the fuel light recalibrated with a VAG-Com.
mobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2004, 20:35   #14
VelvetFoot
Veteran Member

Filled up today at 884 miles with 15.7 gallons. Probably had a gallon left.
(ps, that's a 2000 Beetle with RC3.1 and RR.205)
VelvetFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2004, 20:58   #15
gern_blanston
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 51/47/40 (Same as the CBR)

[ QUOTE ]
884 miles with 15.7 gallons.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow!
gern_blanston is offline   Reply With Quote