www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General VW Discussion

General VW Discussion This is a place for General VW topics (the company, not your vehicle). General topics about a specific vehicle should be posted in the General TDI Dicussion Forum sections for that vehicle platform. A4, A3 & B4, B5, etc.

Old March 4th, 2012, 17:30   #1
TimeTrap

TDI(s): 2011 6M TDI
Default Bank loan

I'm looking at buying a used car a few states away and to make the transaction I'm going to have to make 2 trips out of it. My dad has offered to front me the money if I pay him back with the money I'd get from the loan (which would mean I could do this in 1 trip). Does anyone know if a bank would finance you after someone else has fronted you the money? Is it still an auto loan? (I'm already approved for a loan, I just want to see if anyone knows the answer before I drive down tomorrow.)

Last edited by TimeTrap; March 4th, 2012 at 17:37.
TimeTrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 20:27   #2
Sergeant TDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 32/47

Yes. It's still an auto loan. I'm pretty sure that the VIN and title acts as proof of sale. Make sure and review this with your bank first. I've found that credit unions do a better job and have more competitive rates than banks IMO.
Old March 5th, 2012, 14:26   #3
Just Adam

When I was working in the world of car loans I didn't know of any banks that would pay your father in the situation you described- but you should call your lender and see if it can be worked out. If you're already approved for the loan, why not just go ahead with it traditionally?

If you qualify for USAA you should give them a try- they often have the lowest rates.
Just Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 17:04   #4
msgross
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 1996 Passat
Fuel Economy: TBD

how much are you spending?

do you have a credit card?

USAA lets me take a cash advance, for no fees, and put it in my checking account. I can then take a cash advance with my debt card, for no fees, and I have a 7% personal loan that's on my CC.

My advice is to never borrow money from friends or family, Thanksgiving dinner taste different when you owe them money! quote from Dave Ramsey...

Most banks have a year cutoff for auto loans, check with them first. Cash also usually gets you a better purchase price.
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2012, 02:37   #5
FowVay
Veteran Member

You could make it simple and just let your dad buy the car. Bring it home, get all of the paperwork settled, then you buy the car from dad. The seller gets their money and they're out of the picture. Dad gets his money and Thanksgiving dinner is saved, and you get your new car and the bank gets their title.

Transaction time might be two weeks for your dad to receive the title but once that's in then you're set to go to the bank and get your loan.
FowVay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2012, 05:02   #6
msgross
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 1996 Passat
Fuel Economy: TBD

technically you could have your dad front you the money, own the car outright, then refinance it with the bank and give him that bank check. You would then have to send the title to the bank since they have a lien on it.

How much money are we talking about though? And how long will it take you to pay off? If it's only a few thousand and your paying it off in 12 months then a personal loan interest rate won't hurt you that bad, plus you keep the title in your hand. Some banks won't do car loans for cars older than a certain year either.

Last edited by msgross; March 9th, 2012 at 05:06.
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2012, 05:32   #7
tditom
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Golf: 54/48/43.5 B4 Passat: 52/48.5/45 B5.5 Passat: 30 mpg mixed

The way I've done this before with a credit union is to get a personal loan that was converted to a car loan when the title was in hand.
Why I recommend fuel additive.
tditom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2012, 12:26   #8
TimeTrap

TDI(s): 2011 6M TDI

Thanks for all the responses. It turns out my bank is ok with paying my dad instead of the original seller as long as there is a purchase agreement and they get the title. It's a credit union actually, and I have to say they're pretty awesome. A bit overwhelmed so customer service is a bit slow, but they're really flexible on these sorts of things.
TimeTrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2012, 04:34   #9
pknopp
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeTrap View Post
Thanks for all the responses. It turns out my bank is ok with paying my dad instead of the original seller as long as there is a purchase agreement and they get the title. It's a credit union actually, and I have to say they're pretty awesome. A bit overwhelmed so customer service is a bit slow, but they're really flexible on these sorts of things.
Credit unions generally are easier to work with and to work with you. If you had said that you were having problems doing what you were wanting to do, I was going to suggest trying a credit union.
pknopp is offline   Reply With Quote