Unemployed TDI

Calidris96

TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
As I was approaching the 0.5 million mile mark on my ALH, I dodged a deer one fateful night and rolled my faithful steed. Extensive roof damage precludes any repair options, but the engine and transmission (5-speed) are fine. Selling this sweetheart for parts is distasteful to me. I've touched nearly every part of this motor and would prefer to give it a new job. Thinking jeep, tractor, runabout, generator? Whatcha got TDI Club? What would you do when your engine out-lived the body?

Dh4276

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf GLS TDI, BEW
Generator would be a good use, it could power your house for a while at a decent rpm and run very efficiently at that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Hmmm .... I'm thinking since it's nice out weather wise a Sawzall could make it a convertible for awhile as you contemplate what what to do next (assuming the car is still driveable ).

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Financially, part it out, sell the front end full assembly for $1,000 and whatever goodies you can. i personaly am at the $3,340 price tag on parting out my 98 MK3 not including the engine and suspention so....... i scrapped the body for $60 lol. see my RIP memorial video here.
im sure you will miss her and the love and care it had from you. Sorry to hear such bad fortune, especially in these times. Very glad to heat you came out ok from it and no one was hurt, Frigin deer man!
as for a swap, im personally doing a porsche 944 swap with a beefed up 350+ build with my TDI but there are lots of small trucks, geo trackers, boats, generators, and even a mini and other small cars that get a great TDI swap given to them.
My suggestion, if you have the time is a car that gets a HUGE support base in modifications, like the 944, or better yet, fox body mustang, Miatta, Boxster, and so forth. I prefer porsches because is A: pisses off porshe purists, and B: parts are will and always are available for all years regardless from the factory.
I would love to see a mini swap again! whatever you do im sure it will be awesome. maybe go find a donor body and just bring another one back to life! that would be a simplest. Plenty of people around here that have runaways or timing belt snaps or other neglectful issues. im sure you can find a donor easily, with no or little rust, might have to wait. but in your area, you should be able to find one.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Find a good chassis (gas or TDI) and swap the engine and tranny into the donor car. Worked out great when my '03 was severely rear ended. Converted a nice '03 1.8T. It's now my summer car (no salty roads) because the '01 has almost been consumed by the corrosion.