www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old February 18th, 2020, 06:38   #1
cscmc1
Veteran Member

TDI(s): n/a
Default 2011 SW 6MT owner -- school me on tunes and EGR delete

Good morning, all -- just picked up a 2011 Sportwagen with manual transmission, and am interested in tunes. I will go with a basic tune to start, and keep the emissions equipment in place for warranty purposes, then after the emissions warranty expires, I'll likely delete. As I understand it, I can buy a tune and the box ("Flashzilla," if I were to go with Malone) and tune/detune my car at will (i.e. if I need to have warranty work done and want to go back to stock).

I'm confident that I understand this part correctly, but what I don't understand is whether the basic tunes that retain the DPF eliminate or reduce EGR function, and whether doing do is detrimental to anything else. I read the tune descriptions for stage 1, stage 2, etc... and that part is unclear to me -- apologies if I simply overlooked this, but I am hoping that someone here can clarify this for me.

I know that my '98 Jetta TDI was MUCH happier with the EGR deleted, and would like to think that the '11 would be too. That said, I don't want to do anything that might hasten the clogging of the DPF either. Any reason NOT to reduce/eliminate EGR function at stage 1? Will it clog the DPF faster?

Thank you!
Old February 18th, 2020, 08:54   #2
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

If you read any threads on tuning fixed TDIs here, you'll notice that most people feel that a tuned car risks voiding the emissions hardware warranty, even if you flash it back to stock before taking the car in for work. The ECU counts how many times it's been re-flashed, and the dealer can check this against their records for the car. As long as you realize that you may be denied warranty coverage, the tune helps a lot.

You should talk with the tuner you like about the EGR. These cars have both a high and low pressure EGR, and as far as I know tuners leave them operational.
Old February 18th, 2020, 09:08   #3
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Yeah, you should contact one of the guys at Malone tuning. They have a dynamic egr calibration that allows for faster warm up with gas recirculation but then reduces recirc. once the engine is up to temp.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2020, 09:44   #4
cscmc1
Veteran Member

Thanks, folks. Yes, I did see where some folks warn that the ECU can report number of flashes; thanks for bringing that up. I've been searching to see if I can find examples of anyone being denied warranty claims for that reason. It's worth considering.

I have contacted Stevenson and Malone with these very questions, and will see what they say. Thank you again!
Old February 18th, 2020, 11:30   #5
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

I recall reading of a few here. But the rule of thumb is, if the warranty is important to you, leave the car alone. Otherwise do as you like. I believe VW will do just about anything to get out from under these court ordered warranties. Tuning just gives them a legitimate excuse.
Old February 18th, 2020, 12:37   #6
tjg

I bought my '14 sportwagen specifically for the warranty... but it took so long to get some warranty parts (6 months for a new secondary cat) that I said screw it and went full malone stage 2/DCT tune/Exhaust.

The car is amazing and once I do the timing at 120k, I'll probably upgrade the fuel pump to CP3 and finish mitigating all major reasons for the warranty.
tjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2020, 06:26   #7
cscmc1
Veteran Member

Thanks again, everyone. I appreciate the input; it's certainly giving me plenty to consider as I decide how to proceed.