Stolen..... :(

pcieslak

TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI
Well, I don't post on here very often, just needed somewhere to vent.

My wife's car was stolen today while it was parked at the GO station - it was our first car, a silver 2005 Golf TDI. We had just replaced the intercooler too (at no small cost). What a pain in the ass.

If anyone sees it around let me know I suppose....purchased from MartinGrove VW.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Sorry to hear this bit you'll have to have to post a little more info on the car than this.

benchote13

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000
***!! This sucks. Seems like this is becoming a trend. I just saw another thread about a guy getting his TDI stolen at a GO station. I used to think no one would steal a TDI, but I guess with gas prices being what they are, they're in high demand and their transplanting the engines or shipping the whole car off to other continents.

Which GO station was this at? Note to self never take GO train.

DRVRFWND

TDI
2011 JSW TDI 6spd
Well, I don't post on here very often, just needed somewhere to vent.
My wife's car was stolen today while it was parked at the GO station - it was our first car, a silver 2005 Golf TDI. We had just replaced the intercooler too (at no small cost). What a pain in the ass.
If anyone sees it around let me know I suppose....purchased from MartinGrove VW.

where did you last get your car last serviced?

i had one of my cars stolen just after doing a major service at a VW dealership in Toronto.

i always suspected that the person who serviced the car made a key to it.

sorry for the loss

Vic.

pcieslak

TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI
where did you last get your car last serviced?
i had one of my cars stolen just after doing a major service at a VW dealership in Toronto.
i always suspected that the person who serviced the car made a key to it.
sorry for the loss
Vic.

Interesting take...actually, just had the intercooler replaced at MartinGrove VW...hmmm

It was stolen from Clarkson GO. Car was in mint condition, nothing aftermarket, plate # BHJA486, had Jarama wheels.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
What colour, was the car, were the rims black or silver centered, any other unique intentifying features (lowered, tinted windows or tail lights, etc.)

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
Sometimes I wish my car would get stolen, but it's always there waiting for me when I get off the train. :D

Sucks to hear! The GO transit lot is a haven for thieves! Cars parked there all day long with no security. Also know that no one is showing up to their car until the first train. Number of times I've heard about radios stolen, rims gone, car gone, etc. My cousin's RSX was broken into at a GO transit lot about 2 weeks ago. They even jammed the ignition tumbler to get it to turn. I guess they couldn't figure out how to start a manual transmission car as it was still there when she got back to it, but had a flat battery.

I hope this isn't a trend that TDIs are becoming hot commodities....means our insurance is about to go through the roof. Time to buy a safe car....something that gets 10 MPG on premium fuel....

Honestly, once it's stolen, for me the best situation would be that it never gets recovered. If you take good care of the car and someone joy rides it, you never know if something got damaged. So, sure the car is returned, but you may have extra repairs. On the up side, if they drive it hard, you may get a free "italian tuneup". :) I hope the situation works out well for you and that in the end all will be okay. It sucks to lose a car like this, but worse things could happen in life...it's just a car.

Last edited:

amit9

Veteran Member
TDI
None...
Ever since I started seeing these "stolen tdi's" threads on the forum, I've started using a MasterLock steering wheel double claw lock. Highly recommended and well worth the $'s spent!

e300d

Veteran Member
TDI
2xBEW wagon 1xALH wagon..both gone...no more diesel for now..have few Mercedes CDIs in family..but now its a Miata and Suburban for me lol...miss the TDI game
A few years ago, it was all about VR6 powered cars. Now its TDI....

Damn thieves.

Right now I am away for 7 day and my car is parked in a parking lot .....Hopefully its still there as I got basic insurance only

CmdrData

Veteran Member
North of 401, where the snow double/triple up!
TDI
2001 Golf - used to
Sorry to hear OP's car being stolen.

As Vento said GO parking is a ""free for all" supermarket for car thieves, no monitoring, no security. I think most of these stolen cars are toll away, not driven away since the thieve will have to break thru the immo first which is time consuming. With that said, no steering wheel lock can stop them once the car is in their hands/hidden shop, just cut thru the wheel and it is out.

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
Saw a show once where an ex thief was going over how he stole BMWs. He had a computer with some software that once he got inside, he could hook up to the OBDII, disable the alarm and bypass the immobilizer. Some quick work with the tumbler and he was driving off with a BMW.

The MKIVs have some security issues which I won't describe but are available on the net. Honestly, if the thief is somewhat organized, they know what cars to take and how to take them.

As stated, possibility that they are just being towed away. Who questions a car being loaded onto a tow truck/flatbed.

sudhir saxena

TDI
2011 Golf TDI, DSG comfortline, 2009 Jetta 2.5 High line
I am sorry to hear your loss. I also lost my 2000VW Jetta on 3rd June 2011.
After going through hassel with my insurance, recently I got settlement but not enough. I cannot even buy a similar car.
I hope you have better luck with Insurance.

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
I know the perfect car for you - an RX-8 :D
Sounds good...but if it's anything like it's predecessor, I don't want to have to rebuild the engine every time I turn the key. :D

As for the security issues, they have been talked about ad-nauseum on forums around the net, I'm not bringing anything new to the forefront here. These only came to light as thieves exploited the issues to begin with, so guess what, the thieves knew about them BEFORE they were discussed.

pcieslak

TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI
I am sorry to hear your loss. I also lost my 2000VW Jetta on 3rd June 2011.
After going through hassel with my insurance, recently I got settlement but not enough. I cannot even buy a similar car.
I hope you have better luck with Insurance.

I'd be interested in hearing your story getting your insurance settlement - sounds like I should prepare myself for a pretty small cheque.

I've been researching online, and '05s seem to sell for $15k....so I feel i'll be lucky if I even get $10k from insurance for it, which is half of what we paid 2 years ago...arghhhhhhh....

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Geez - I had pretty decent luck when my car was totaled. The insurance company (ING insurance in BC) looked for same make model in the area - getting prices on five cars from dealers and five from private sales and gave me the average.

I was so impressed, I continue to use the same company for insurance, even though it costs me a few $$ more each year than ICBC.

Good luck with the insurance company - I hope they treat you right.

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
Insurance in Ontario is different unfortunately, and find every opportunity to short-change you.

That being said, be prepared for a low-ball offer. Be reasonable with your expectations, and be open with the negotiator to a point. When my MKIII was written off, I actually dealt with a third-party rep who gave me the offer, and negotiated with me. They obviously came in low, and I had some discussions with them, sending them similar cars listed (which was difficult for MKIII TDIs as they were pretty limited).

That being said, STRESS the fact that your car is a diesel as they may try and use pricing on 2.0L gas cars to value your car. Remember, the idea of insurance is that if your car is totaled/lost, it is SUPPOSED to get you sufficient money to afford a similar replacement (at least that's the theory). When given an offer, also ask if the price includes tax or not. Like I said, the recovered funds is supposed to give you enough money to replace the car including tax.

Reality is that the offer will likely come in low. After some discussion, I gave them an offer which I would be happy with and got a cheque for that ammount. Wan't anything to write home about, but that was because I got a cheque for the car after buying it as salvage. Turned around and sold the car to a guy at the body shop. Kicker was that the guy got a good deal: the salvage title paperwork got lost somewhere along the way and the car ended up being his with a clean title.

So, remember, be prepared with information, expect a lowball offer, and be prepared to have to negotiate (and some back and forth). That being said, it can sometimes work out. My wife totaled a car a number of years ago. She bought the car used, totaled it two years later, and ended up being offered pretty much what she paid for it initially. (pretty much first offer, too)

hendre

TDI
'00 Golf TDI
I had a Jetta TDI stolen last year downtown Toronto in a condo building at Lakeshore/Bay. Settlement wasn't that bad - it was actually more than what I paid for the car.(I'm insured with Belair)

6 months later, my parent's Audi Q7 TDI got stolen out of their driveway in Etobicoke. It was leased so VW finance settled with insurance.

I am absolutely appalled at this city - I grew up in South Africa and we had less cars stolen!

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
Looks like the TDIs are getting hot. I talked to a guy once who was hit by a towtruck overnight. Had his Porsche stolen...funny thing is that he didn't have a garage, so blocked the thing in with his SUV. Towtruck towed SUV onto front lawn and then picked up the Porsche. Strange that no one saw it....