I don't love the DSG

Maristic

TDI
2010 Golf
amycyclenut said:
Also note, that when you are in "auto" mode (i.e. D or S), you can at anytime change gears with the paddle shifters and the car will temporarily go into manual mode. If you don't make another change in X amount of time, it will automatically switch back to "auto" mode.

I use this method all the time. A good example of using this is the corning situation Maristic mentions.... when I'm in the corner and know I will need power now, I hit the downshift paddle and I've got power. Roll out of it and the car will take back over.
I've found that the timeout is too long for a lot of the driving I do (I think it's about 10 or 15 seconds). That's why I came up with the shifter-wiggle trick to have it take back control sooner.

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf, DSG / '11 A3, DSG (both went buyback) - '15 GSW SE
amycyclenut said:
Also note, that when you are in "auto" mode (i.e. D or S), you can at anytime change gears with the paddle shifters and the car will temporarily go into manual mode. If you don't make another change in X amount of time, it will automatically switch back to "auto" mode.

I use this method all the time. A good example of using this is the corning situation Maristic mentions.... when I'm in the corner and know I will need power now, I hit the downshift paddle and I've got power. Roll out of it and the car will take back over.

Also works on the highway.... need a little quick power, hit the paddle shifter, get what you need and the car will take back over.
that kicks a$$!:D
thanks for pointing that out, amy - can't wait to try said method.

Windjammer

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 & Mk5
Maristic said:
I've found that the timeout is too long for a lot of the driving I do (I think it's about 10 or 15 seconds). That's why I came up with the shifter-wiggle trick to have it take back control sooner.
Press & hold the right up shift paddle & the system will go back to auto.

Windjammer

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 & Mk5
St.Hubbins said:
so i call out "the big arniedog" for what remains a really lame post, and you "quote" some bs i obviously never said and make yourself look even more of a chump?!
lol. It's probably best to just put him on your ignore list. It's not like he is going to give you any constructive help.

Maristic

TDI
2010 Golf
Windjammer said:
Press & hold the right up shift paddle & the system will go back to auto.
As I explained in my earlier message, that doesn't help if you were using the paddle shifters to change down, because when you use the + button, it changes up the moment you press it taking you out of the gear you want to be in.

amycyclenut

TDI
2010 Golf w/DSG
If you need to upshift before the car has resumed full auto, just hit the + paddle to upshift a gear and continue on. You don't have to stay in the gear you downshifted to just because the car didn't take back over quick enough. And if you continue shifting through the gears the car will remain in manual... once you stop shifting the auto will pick back up.

So you can downshift to pass someone, and once passed upshift to the right gear and forget about it, the car will take back over.

Windjammer

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 & Mk5
Maristic said:
As I explained in my earlier message, that doesn't help if you were using the paddle shifters to change down, because when you use the + button, it changes up the moment you press it taking you out of the gear you want to be in.
If you go to auto it's coming out of the gear you want anyway.

Elfnmagik

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently De-Dub'd
Derrel H Green said:
:)

When I want to go from sixth to fourth and then perhaps a little later to third, I will very quickly
activate the switch in the Tiptonic position hitting the - switch twice rapidly, and I am now in
fourth.
For clarification purposes, I believe the 'switch' that was referred to by the OP and myself pertains to the "kickdown" switch located on the accelerator pedal. Unless I'm mistaken, you're referring to the shifter.

Last edited:

Elfnmagik

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently De-Dub'd
Derrel H Green said:
:)

I am wondering if there is a slight difference in your DSG progamming and mine. I have a '10.

If I make what we here in California call a 'rolling' second gear stop, I am down to less than five
mph, and if I gently apply throttle, I will still be in second speed. It will stay in second gear.
This is when in straight 'D.' However, if I have the lever in the Tiptonic position and do the same
thing, the transmission will downshift into first gear much earlier than it does when in straight 'D.'

Could this be what you are referring to? :confused:

:D

D
Yes, it will also do it in 'S' mode too. I've stated before that the auto-downshifting programming for 'T' & 'S' should have been the same as 'D' for the 2nd to 1st downshift.

Maristic

TDI
2010 Golf
Windjammer said:
If you go to auto it's coming out of the gear you want anyway.
That's just not true. If you have your foot off the throttle and change down for engine braking, if you then do the shifter-wiggle to get back into D it'll stay in the gear you put it in. That's the whole reason for doing it.

Maristic

TDI
2010 Golf
amycyclenut said:
If you need to upshift before the car has resumed full auto, just hit the + paddle to upshift a gear and continue on. You don't have to stay in the gear you downshifted to just because the car didn't take back over quick enough. And if you continue shifting through the gears the car will remain in manual... once you stop shifting the auto will pick back up.
My way of doing things is that I want to override it for the least amount of time possible. I only want to change the gears myself I know something it doesn't.
So you can downshift to pass someone, and once passed upshift to the right gear and forget about it, the car will take back over.
Frankly, for passing I find that it does the right thing all by itself. Just push on the gas pedal and it'll do just fine.

If I did want to be sure it was in low gears for passing, I'd just drop it into S mode rather than changing the gears myself.

I guess my rule of thumb is
  • Usually, be in D
  • If you want to be in a lower gear to get plenty of “ready power”, drop into S for the duration (e.g., coming into a sharp bend where you want to power out)
  • If you want to engine brake, paddle shift down, use the shifter-wiggle to resume D once the car has slowed sufficiently
  • To upshift early, paddle shift up, then hold to resume D.