Gen 1 V^ TDI EGR Mod

nascar

Registered Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
01 Golf TDI & 09 Touareg TDI
So, I was thinking outside the box one day & thought I'd experiment on blocking off the majority of the egr flow into the intake plenum of our 1st gen v6 tdi. Not that we had much build up in our intake @ 1/16” with 176kms but more so to keep some heat from entering the intake during egr request. Prior to experiment I was seeing what I call high egt’s at low speed/load driving & specially at placing transmission in Park. Always well over 500degs in winter time is high in my opinion. Even with synthetic oil, I don’t like shutting down a engine & have the turbo over 400 degs. My other diesels, less than 350 on our other TDI & less than 300 on my Cummins.

My 1st experiment was to remove the flapper disk in the throttle motor (10 min job) & put a thin blocker plate with small drill hole in middle of plate. I installed this at junction of egr & intake. Immediate P0401 CEL (insufficient egr flow). I figured as much but had to start somewhere. EGT’s were a lot lower. Drilled out hole & drove time & time again and noticed we were able to go farther & farther before CEL would show up.

Well it has been almost 3 weeks now & many miles & no CEL even in cold weather & warmer +9 deg’s C. Haven’t noticed any slower engine warm ups either. I’m at 13/32” hole size in block off plate. I now think it’s a done deal because a CEL would have shown up by now. I had done a forced regen prior to starting this test. EGT’s pre-turbo are much lower while diving & always right at 400 degs when stopping & placing trans in park, then it drops real fast to the 350 deg mark where we shut the engine down. This is better for the engine & turbo all around.

Fuel mileage is up for sure but with snow on & off, road conditions are constantly changing and outside temps all over the place -28 to +9, I’m not comfortable saying a firm amount yet.

Will do a full software DPF/EGR delete somewhere down the road but until Dieselgate is settled here in Canada, I don’t want to do something I can’t undue in 10 mins. It’s that easy & free :)