Volkswagen Canada kills diesel for 2017 model year

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Volkswagen Canada kills diesel for 2017 model year

Volkswagen Canada will not sell diesel vehicles for the 2017 model year, a company spokesman said late Wednesday.

Thomas Tetzlaff of Volkswagen told Automotive News Canada the decision is a direct result of the company’s admission to equipping diesel vehicles with software designed to cheat emissions tests.

Volkswagen sold about 100,000 affected vehicles in Canada from model years 2009-2016. A full list is on its website.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Of VWs? That's what I thought was the case in Canada. I guess if you have 10% of the people and sell 20% as many cars, that's not bad.

I'm surprised there was even any question about selling '17s in Canada. That went by the boards here a while ago.

ProPAL

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Bora TDI GLS Black/Black & 2003 Golf TDI GLS Silver/Black
As I posted here in another forum, my statement is looking good. Post Dieselgate our TDI's will be worth a lot more now (resale) that they are not selling new ones....

Dealerships keep emailing me how they want to buy it back and get me in a new model. Not going to happen.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
If they aren't selling them in the USA, then of course they aren't selling them in Canada.

We literally use the very same US EPA emissions limits.

I guess the one difference is if they violate the regulations in Canada, nothing really happens to them. No buybacks or anything really costly. Maybe a small fine. But in practice, they don't risk violating Canadian law without also doing it in the USA. So we're not going to get TDIs in Canada if the USA doesn't also get them.

Last edited:

Scratchy101

Veteran Member
TDI
Returned 2012 Golf TDI, now 2015 Mazda CX-5 & 2018 Nissan Leaf SV

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
If they aren't selling them in the USA, then of course they aren't selling them in Canada.

We literally use the very same US EPA emissions limits.

I guess the one difference is if they violate the regulations in Canada, nothing really happens to them. No buybacks or anything really costly. Maybe a small fine. But in practice, they don't risk violating Canadian law without also doing it in the USA. So we're not going to get TDIs in Canada if the USA doesn't also get them.
Not sure about that, Canada has its own reg's. Stuff is allowed here that you can't have in the US and vice versa. Guess we'll see in the long run.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Canada has an "environmental policy" (set of do good initiatives and statements) that covers the country in general.

http://www.canadainternational.gc.c...iques/environment-environnement.aspx?lang=eng

Each provincial government has written rules for air, water, waste management, etc. Some provinces have more stringent environmental rules than others (Alberta is pretty tough and mirrors US EPA rule making).

It's kind of a mess as there is no strong governmental rule-making agency like US EPA which has written laws like the Clean Air Act, RCRA, The Clean Water Act, etc. that are required to be the framework for all US states.

I don't recall any rules in Canada that would be more restrictive than what we deal with in the states.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
Not sure about that, Canada has its own reg's. Stuff is allowed here that you can't have in the US and vice versa. Guess we'll see in the long run.
Yeah, Canada's regs say to go look at the EPA regs.

Vehicles or Engines Covered by an EPA Certificate

19 (1) Every vehicle or engine of a specific model year that is covered by an EPA certificate and bears the U.S. emission control information label referred to in paragraph 35(1)(d) may, if the company so chooses, conform to, instead of the standards set out in sections 11 to 17, the certification and in-use standards referred to in the EPA certificate.

(2) For the purposes of subsection 153(3) of the Act, the provisions of the CFR that are applicable to a vehicle or engine referred to in subsection (1) pursuant to the EPA certificate correspond to the certification and in-use standards referred to in subsection (1).

(3) For the purposes of subsection 153(3) of the Act, the EPA is the prescribed agency.

SOR/2015-186, s. 18.
Previous Version
Vehicles Equivalent to Vehicles Covered by an EPA Certificate

19.1 (1) A vehicle of a specific model year that is not covered by an EPA certificate may be considered equivalent to a vehicle that is covered by an EPA certificate if a company submits the evidence of conformity referred to in section 35.1 in respect of that vehicle instead of the evidence of conformity referred to in section 36.

(2) The equivalency of a vehicle is determined by the Minister on the basis of the evidence of conformity referred to in section 35.1.

(3) Every vehicle of a specific model year that is determined to be equivalent to a vehicle covered by an EPA certificate and that is sold in Canada during the period for which that EPA certificate is valid in the United States shall conform to, instead of the standards set out in sections 11 to 17, the certification and in-use standards referred to in that EPA certificate.

SOR/2013-8, s. 9; SOR/2015-186, s. 19.

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
Percentage wise? Not even close in actual numbers.
Yes, market share as a percentage of actual national sales. You're right, actual Canadian sales numbers wouldn't even come close to the USA. There are more cars sold in the state of California annually than there are in ALL of Canada annually. (There's more people in California than there is in all of Canada as well...and they have more money to buy more cars...lol).

I believe we have more VW's on the road in Canada per capita, but that's it.

We do get some oddball car/motorcycle models,etc in Canada once in a while that are not offered in the US, but they have nothing to do with emissions...it's typically just a marketing decision.

There's a hundred or so of the quarantined 2015-2016 TDI cars in a fenced lot around the corner my my office, and when I drove by on Friday I saw the hoods were up on all of them. Must have been giving them their monthly start-up or whatever it is they do. I thought it was already a known fact that there weren't going to be any 2017 TDI models.

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I'll continue to fix mine. Don't fancy the new ones. I'm looking for an 06 with a bad DSG. Most are too damn far...

DangerBoy

TDI
2010 BMW X5 35d, 1997 A6 Wagon AEL 2.5L TDI quattro 01E Six Speed Manual (Salvaged 2018)
In regards to an example of a vehicle that was allowed here but not in the US?

Smart OM660 Diesel comes to mind.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Yeah the smartCar "cdi" diesels always confounded me: Close to $20K for 3.4L/100km vs. the ALH ~4.5L/100km...and instead of being able to drive you and a passenger, and throw a loveseat in the hatch - and CLOSE IT!! - it was you and a passenger and a Whole Foods grocery stop (don't even think about a Costco run).

Not to mention noisy as hell, utterly powerless, scary as hell when a semi went past you on the freeway...smartCar was the ultimate "look at me!" car for the people who couldn't afford a "look at me!" car. :D

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
FourTwo’s make good electric, city-only cars. They should be banned from highways. I’ve been in one on the highway. I agree, you flinch when even a midsize SUV goes by!