slightly hard start after changing oil and fuel filter

add2700

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf GLS TDI
After changing the oil and fuel filter (I did not prime the fuel filter) I let the car sit the rest of saturday and sunday. Monday morning I go to start it and it won't start. I just here the starter turning over. then the oil light comes on. I turn off the ignition and repeat no start and the oil light comes on. I have plenty of oil.

Again ignition off and on, each time wait for the glow plug light to go out, and the starter just keeps turning. So I start repeating this process but also pressing the gas. Finally after 5 or 6 tries it starts. That was Monday. Tuesday car seemed fine. Wed. and now thurs. the car is turning over longer before it starts. Did I burn out the fuel primer mechanism?

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
pull off supply line off the filter and point it in a container. Cycle the key and see what comes out. If OK check the thermo tee on top of the filter for cracks. You may be getting air with your fuel.

add2700

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf GLS TDI
I had to jam the T down into the new filter so I bet that's it. Thanks.

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
I was thinking more if the hose is removed from the plastic tee it would break. A small amount of rubber safe grease like syl glide will make removing a hose way easier.