www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Mid-west USA

Mid-west USA Local discussions for those on the Mid-West US. ( Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Kansas, Missouri)

Old April 19th, 2018, 11:09   #31
scurvy
Good Ol' Boy

TDI(s): 2006 Golf
Fuel Economy: ☠☭

My Golf continues to roll along into its 12th year. No plans to get rid of it. It needs some work on the fenders before the surface rust becomes perforations and a set of balljoints, but that's about it.

Just did the clutch, RMS, one CV boot replacement gone wrong had me swap out an entire axle with a new NAPA unit (still have the OEM, need to reboot & reinstall) this winter. Suspension refresh & 2nd timing belt two years ago.

It's a drama-free ride and when I get around to cleaning it out, washing & waxing, it looks pretty darn good too.
scurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2018, 08:04   #32
Matt-98AHU
Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor

This article gives me some hope.

First I've heard reporting of VW returning cars older and higher mileage than allowed per their CPO rules back to the roads. Via auction for 3rd party dealers, even.

The mention of them controlling release of the vehicles back to the market to ensure they don't flood the market and keep prices on the more profitable side is also not surprising. And hearing that also makes me wonder yet again if VW just might in fact return to this market with new TDIs, but not a moment before the supply of 'fixed' older cars has dried up.
Old April 20th, 2018, 09:27   #33
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Man I sure hope so.
Old April 20th, 2018, 10:58   #34
soldierguy
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-98AHU View Post
This article gives me some hope.

First I've heard reporting of VW returning cars older and higher mileage than allowed per their CPO rules back to the roads. Via auction for 3rd party dealers, even.

The mention of them controlling release of the vehicles back to the market to ensure they don't flood the market and keep prices on the more profitable side is also not surprising. And hearing that also makes me wonder yet again if VW just might in fact return to this market with new TDIs, but not a moment before the supply of 'fixed' older cars has dried up.
In my opinion, VW will be working on selling them for the next couple years. Sure, there's some pent-up demand, but to me, VW has to balance flooding the market if they offer too many at once, against the fact that cars don't do well when just sitting (increasing chances for things needing repairs), and vehicle depreciation in general.

I remember reading an article last spring (USA Today if I remember correctly) in which one dealer claimed that they had 5 offers for every TDI they were able to get. That was last spring, and that was the pent-up demand. I'd imagine that things have slowed a bit since then. Anecdotally speaking, the dealer I bought my '15 buyback Jetta from, seems to have had no problem selling them, but they also seem to sit on his lot for a bit before they go. For instance, mine shows as getting Phase One in November 2017, I remember initially seeing the car offered for sale in December, and I bought it at the end of January. But this is California, where Diesel fuel costs considerably more than gas, and there are probably a lot of people who think the fix is fake news and that the cars are still horribly polluting their babies.

I do hope that VW re-enters the Diesel market. I'm also hoping that a station near where I live or along my commute route starts offering Propel Diesel HPR. I'm not going to hold my breath for either one.
Old April 23rd, 2018, 22:25   #35
3L3M3NT
Veteran Member

I still have my 04 Jetta that I purchased June of 08 and actually picked up a bit of a project vehicle in a round about way. For those that don't know, I ended up purchasing a TDI swapped 04 R32 that was being commissioned by rspring to have Steve at Technical Diesel Innovations build a big hp AWD TDI. Unfortunately rspring lost interest due to Steve's inability to finish the car, which is when I thought I could use it as the ideal track toy. Long story, short it took the help of friends, family, and a few TDIClub members nearly 2 years to get the car tidied up and running to its full potential.

Anywho, I think it would be tough for VW to introduce new TDI vehicles here in the states after Dieselgate, not saying I wouldn't like to see it, but with countries in Europe wanting to be diesel free by 2025 it would be an uphill battle. It's great to see that they are going start selling the buy back models in the not so distant future.

Well, I might as well post this here. I'm considering having a gtg or 2 depending on the interest. Some possible dates would be June 9th, June 16th, September 1st(Labor Day weekend), or October 20th. If there was enough interest, I'd be willing to do a spring gtg in June or a fall gtg the Saturday of Labor Day weekend, and the final option is having a gtg on October 20th. If quite a few people are interest in attending the gtg on Labor Day we could call it Midwest Fest

Jason let me know if you want me to start my own thread about having a gtg. I just figured this could be a starting point.
Firefox fix
RTDI Build Thread
3L3M3NT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2018, 06:02   #36
Mythdoc
Veteran Member

The pent up demand has been satisfied. There has been a significant market correction and I think it is still underway. Just bought my son a Golf to add to the stable. In for the long haul, I hope.

2015 Golf TDI SE, Lighting Package, 16K miles
2011 Touareg TDI (sold back, May 2018); 2015 Golf TDI S (totaled, Oct 2018)
Mythdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2018, 14:19   #37
vwgtiglx

Fuel Economy: 40-55 MPG

Hey, I have an "04 R32 and a "04 Chevy Cruze TD. Maybe we can get together sometime and commiserate on how you accomplished that feat. If I come to the gtg, I'm torn to which car I should bring along.
vwgtiglx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2018, 21:55   #38
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 75.0/53.0/38.4

Still have the Jetta and TT - will keep them going as I really like the Mkiv platform, however I test drove a Tesla Model S back in December. I think my next vehicle might be electric.

I'm as die hard of a car guy as most, but there are inherent advantages to an electric setup that are undeniable (<10% of the parts is one of them and damn those electrons move fast ).
03 Jetta, Cat 2u, DG Steel SP w/MOGolf Mod, 3"DP, 4"EXH, EaBP100 Bypass, Euroswitch, ECodes, Driving Light, PD Lift Pump, R520's, RC5,RC6, TDTuning, Malone, ScanGaugeII, 3" TIP, 2" TOP, HE221W Compounded with GTC1444VZ, 6 Bar MAP, VR6 MAF, Vented Fender Liner, Battery Cover Mod, 11mm, Monster Mats, 215/55/17 (27.9/53.0/75) Monthly MPG Links, Euro Trunk Latch, IDParts RSB, SDI or ALH Intake, ARL Ceramic Pistons, Rosten Rods, DRW, Wavetrac, SBC, FSD's, Beef Springs, Rebuilt Head, Recaro's, Colt II, DG Sigma 6, RMT200
Fix_Until_Broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2018, 22:50   #39
3L3M3NT
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwgtiglx View Post
Hey, I have an "04 R32 and a "04 Chevy Cruze TD. Maybe we can get together sometime and commiserate on how you accomplished that feat. If I come to the gtg, I'm torn to which car I should bring along.
I vote R32
Firefox fix
RTDI Build Thread
Old April 29th, 2018, 13:43   #40
3L3M3NT
Veteran Member

For anyone that still has their TDI and is interested in attending a GTG in Sturgeon Bay, WI please weigh in on when you are most likely to attend a GTG.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=488487
Firefox fix
RTDI Build Thread
Old April 30th, 2018, 16:55   #41
JohnTso
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 51/47/42

I've still have my 98 and 03 Jettas. The 98 is a strong runner, but the brake lines are rotted. The 03 has 209k miles and needs nothing, except some paint work due to failing clear coat and scratches.

My problem is too many projects around the homestead.
JohnTso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2018, 06:38   #42
shadowhand
Veteran Member

Haven't been on here in ages, due to having a kid (3 years old) and building a house (just moved in!) I parked my TDI last winter due to some developing rust. Finally started driving it and figured it was time to finish the build. New injectors/nozzles, SMIC, and BRM intake manifold conversion on the way.

It's a shame that Dieselgate crushed the TDI boom. I don't plan on getting rid of mine until the wheels fall off, despite the fact that I seem to spend too much money on it every summer.
Old May 10th, 2018, 06:47   #43
bf1967
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2005 Golf
Fuel Economy: 44 mixed

My 05 Golf is in my barn waiting for me to replace the transmission. I bought a '14 Chevy Volt in the meantime which I actually really like (much more than I thought I might). I also have a Tesla model 3 reservation, but at the rate they are going I may never see the configuration I'm waiting on.

I really love my Golf, but its got 340k on it and all the little annoying things are going wrong with her. While I enjoy working on it, I jsut don't have the free time I used to have.

Mods so far: RC1+, G60/VR6, Bilstein TCs, Zerostart Htr, ScanGauge II, DG Panzer Plate/FMJ , euroswitch, blue euro mirrors, (Vent,Muffler)ectomy, WD Collar Mod, Sirius
bf1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2018, 07:30   #44
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Still have my 10 JSW. In my support of diesel, I went out and bought a 17 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel. No gassers in my driveway, except when the kids are home.
Old May 10th, 2018, 13:18   #45
bf1967
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2005 Golf
Fuel Economy: 44 mixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjclow View Post
In my support of diesel, I went out and bought a 17 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel.
Hopefully Fiat has worked out all the DEF system issues by now. We bought a '14 GC Ecodiesel Brand new. Great engine, but the DEF system sucks. All my trips to the dealer have been for DEF related repairs. I don't normally buy extended warranties, but I'm glad I did for that car.

Mods so far: RC1+, G60/VR6, Bilstein TCs, Zerostart Htr, ScanGauge II, DG Panzer Plate/FMJ , euroswitch, blue euro mirrors, (Vent,Muffler)ectomy, WD Collar Mod, Sirius
bf1967 is offline   Reply With Quote