Using a B3 Passat Cluster with a AHU.

AKAvant

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Audi A4 Avant 1.9TDI Quattro, 2002 VW California, 1998 Jetta TDI (Sold 6/16), 1997 B4 Passat TDI, 1993 Eurovan Weekender 1Z m-TDI conversion (Sold 5/12), 1992 AHU powered B3 Syncro Wagon
Hi all, I started a swap project a few months back that originally wasn't going to have any TDI content but I couldn't resist, and I have since decided to put in an AHU into my B3 Passat syncro project. Basically a manual tranny, AWD TDI wagon is my dream car and since they won't bring it over the pond I decided to make it myself.
Here are some of my previous posts:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5017953-Finally-got-a-B3-Wagon&highlight=Syncro+Swap

I'll post a more detailed thread with better photos soon on this site.

The AHU was running great in my syncro donor car but the person who did the conversion didn't do a very good job with the cluster. They just loosely dropped in the MKIII Jetta cluster. Looked awful and the speedo didn't even work.

My plan is to use my stock B3 cluster and adapt it to the harness from the MKIII (A3). I was also planning on wiring in a glow-plug light. So my question is, has anyone done anything similar and are there any recommended methods for completing this? I've begun studying the wiring diagrams for both but any helpful tips are always appreciated. Thanks!

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Just get a B4 TDI cluster and swap it in. It fits perfectly and has the functionality needed.

AKAvant

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Audi A4 Avant 1.9TDI Quattro, 2002 VW California, 1998 Jetta TDI (Sold 6/16), 1997 B4 Passat TDI, 1993 Eurovan Weekender 1Z m-TDI conversion (Sold 5/12), 1992 AHU powered B3 Syncro Wagon
How well would it mate with the existing MkIII Jetta harness?
Also, what would be needed to replace the mechanical speedometer?

GiGGer

Veteran Member
TDI
GTI TDI 130
My B3 TDI Syncro had the mk3 tdi cluster in it. A b4 tdi cluster would have been ideal but it still did a great job.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
The engine harness should have the vehicle speed sensor plug on it. You are using the TDI transmission right?

The Passat cluster harness is a tad different, I think one or two wires like for the trunk warning light and the check engine light.

-J

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
there are a few different wires but if you get the B4 TDI instrument cluster wiring too you should have it under control. When I did my swap I had to assemble the cluster wiring from a couple G60 harnesses because I didn't have the b4 wiring harness.

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
I am trying to figure out almost the same problem, except I have a 91 GTI that I am swapping a 1Z tdi out of a B4 tdi. I have a few different options but can't decide which is best..I could swap in a mk3 dash that I have and get a mk3 tdi cluster or swap in the passat cluster mounting bracket to the stock gti dash, but it seems too wide..If I get a used MK3 TDI cluster can I reset the odometer with a VAG-com? I am assuming most of em have well over 200K and my passat donor had a mere 156K or so!

starrd

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat
I know for sure the Passat B4 cluster mileage can only be changed by modifying a memory chip in the cluster - cannot be done usig VCDS. The Mk 3 cluster would be the same.

GTiTDi

TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
cluster odometer correction

So are you saying it can be done? If I end up with a mk3 tdi cluster I would like to do this..In the meantime I think I'm going to use the stock Mk2 cluster by splicing the speed sensor blue and white wire to the ecu harness, and forgo a tachometer for the time being

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
DeWhite can program the mileage on a B4 cluster, he has been doing this for a number of MFA swaps in B4 cars (mine included).

GTiTDi

TDI
DeWhite can program the mileage on a B4 cluster, he has been doing this for a number of MFA swaps in B4 cars (mine included).
can it be done with a mk3 cluster? I'm assuming they couldn't be that different, it just doesn't seem to be VW's modus operandi to make things too differently amongst the model range. If they did that I wouldn't be doing this swap!

foxracer1

Veteran Member
TDI
98 A3 TDI 5spd, 86 w/TDI 02A in prog.
I have a corrado G60 cluster i'd like to use for my TDI swap in my 86 jetta. I'm going to swap in the corrado dash which is either the same or very similar to a passat dash. I know the clusters fit in place of each other.

I'm sure i'd have to calibrate the tach. Maybe not though since they both are 4 cyl.

The cluster has MFA with boost and i think oil temp, so i'd like to make it work is it possible?

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just use the B4 TDI cluster. It requires NO work to use in a corrado dash.

foxracer1

Veteran Member
TDI
I'll get it running with the passat cluster but i will persue the MFA corrado cluster afterwards.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
you need to use an OB2 VR6 PASSAT cluster for the mfa option. you will need some of the passat tdi cluster parts for the mfa cluster conversion.

foxracer1

Veteran Member
TDI
The G60 cluster doesn't have boost and oil temp? If not i'm not worried about it then and the TDI passat cluster will work lol

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I know about the G60 cluster having owned one since 1995. The Passat Vr6 cluster swapped to TDI gives you everything the G60 cluster has except the secondary features that the G60 had when you pushed in the MFA button and turned the car off and then on. I just run a boost gauge to get the boost reading just as I did on my G60 because most of the time my peak reading is above the 16.5psi that was the G60's max boost reading.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It wouldn't be too difficult to convert the tdi cluster but here is what you would have to do:

-convert the tach signal and get a tach face off an aaz td passat or a us spec early eurovan with a 5cylinder motor
-wire the speeds sensor in the cluster to route to the ecu
-CEL light
-glowplug light
-use a speedo cable which is $75 to replace with an aftermarket piece if your oem one breaks.

I personally rather have the wire routed to the cluster as opposed to the speedo cable.

These conversion items for the G60 cluster are the same as what would be required for a mk2 cluster (less the use of the tach face)

foxracer1

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm not familiar with how the MFA works. I just have a G60 cluster and a friend told me it had boost, trip, mpg, oil temp, etc. My goal is to find a whole parts passat so i can take everything i need.

Guess the G60 cluster is better bein sold to a Corrado guy. I don't want to modify it.

Last edited:

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The G60 cluster only shows boost when you futz with it. I guarantee you nobody who drove a corrado G60 off the dealer lot in 1990 thought their corrado had an MFA that showed boost levels. Its only after reading the bentley manual that some realized how to access this feature.

foxracer1

Veteran Member
TDI
ahh well thats no fun and only reading bar and up to 16 psi is no fun either. oh well

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ahh well thats no fun and only reading bar and up to 16 psi is no fun either. oh well
it reads in millibar

255 is the max reading if my memory serves me correctly