installed 02a ctn tranny to stock alh motor and clutch fork is grinding

damac

Veteran Member
TDI
none
i have a mtdi in mk2 golf and was driving around but pulled tranny due to leak and nasty grinding noises. clutch pedal release seemed a bit low at pedal but i drove it around like a madman for about 30 miles total tuning thnigs.
i pulled it apart and the pieces were intact but the clutch fork looks like it hit rivets and face of pressure plate grinding into the fork. i assume it wasn't done but because of the noises while in use.
the donor car was a 2000 jetta with alh motor and manual tranny. no clue history except it running and driving. im trying to look for a part number but only see sachs.
i have new pivot ball, spring, fork and bearing just in case but obviously something is wrong with the tolerances and i misread because i thought it was bolt on? thanks for any info all i need is to get this solved and install the exhaust i made during downtime then drive it and tune it.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
two things, the DMF could have failed pushing the center mass along with the pressure plate toward the trans and release fork, or the disc facing could have come apart, double stacked and bulged the pressure plate outward (yes it happens)

damac

Veteran Member
TDI
none
does that seem likely since i had the donor jetta driving for months and only had my mk2 on the road for some test driving?

any idea what clutch kits will work with alh mated to 02a? since im stuck with it apart perhaps its smart to start fresh. not sure if current pressure plate would even be safe with all that grinding?

damac

Veteran Member
TDI
none
i installed a quiet sachs kit with single mass flywheel and it does have some noise with no wheels and car in the air but i assume thats tranny rattle. when i put it on the ground it sounds fine and the clutch pedal is fine and car works. my leak seems to be fixed and i figure i will just drive it like this until something happens. taking just the tranny out of the mk2 golf was hell for me because of all the custom parts i guess. next time im definately taking the front member off and taking out the whole engine to deal with a clutch job.

i also found i couldn't get the bolts out of the dmf when i took things apart and it looks like there was too much wear on the parts if the youtube videos i watched were correct. so much for trusting previous owner about a clutch job but oh well. i had to cut apart things with a grinder to get to the bolts. my dewalt impact had no problem zapping those out.