Is New Beetle feminine?

FlashT

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 NB - sold
We should all rest easy anyhow since Top Gear put the new beetle on their "cool" chart. Jeremy Clarkson, however, said that even though the new beetle is a cool car, "No man with any dignity would ever drive one." Hearing that made me drop something very heavy on my toe.:(

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
I rarely take a look at the NB photo gallery because I tend to find the car to be a bit feminine. It just doesn't appeal to me. That doesn't mean I'm calling those of you who drive one "girly".

However, last April I did see a local guy's gasser NB called the RUF BUG, and I thought it was rather cool. The RUF BUG guy certainly dumped a lot of money into his NB.

If you're interested in the RUF BUG, here's a link: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4529380

I did own a '73 Super Beetle for a little while when I was a teenager, but that was a lot different than a NB.

Edit: I just realized that this thread was started in 2007.:eek:

Last edited:

MichelleRoze

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 New Beetle
Yeah RUF BUG has a thread on the newbeetle.org as well. It's a nice car. Not my taste though. There are lots of cars on the .org that are anything BUT girly. It's amazing how agressive you can make these cars look. Mostly helps when you get a good body kit to change the look of the front and rear bumper. Gets rid of that "round-cute" look. That's my next step. Wide Body RSI kit....if I can ever find one :(

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
Yeah RUF BUG has a thread on the newbeetle.org as well. It's a nice car. Not my taste though. There are lots of cars on the .org that are anything BUT girly. It's amazing how agressive you can make these cars look. Mostly helps when you get a good body kit to change the look of the front and rear bumper. Gets rid of that "round-cute" look. That's my next step. Wide Body RSI kit....if I can ever find one :(
Yup. Here's that link too: http://newbeetle.org/forums/photos-new-beetles/38058-presenting-ruf-bug-stage-ii.html

I agree. A body kit or a few cosmetic changes make a big difference in the look of the NB, Jetta, and almost any other vehicle. Sometimes, folks overdo it, like many Japanese car enthusiasts.

woofster

TDI
TDI
I've never thought the NB was ever a girly looking car. Most people's comments are simply that the car was cute. I have no issues whatsoever driving it though, even with its flower in the vase and all!

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
I had a NB as a rental a few years ago, and commuted to trade school with an other guy, got a few comments like , when are you two getting married? who's the pitcher who's the receiver?

So I personally think the NB is a little feminine in a stock state, could man it up a little with a ground effects kit(notice I didn't say skirt) and not like the green one in pics above, some wheels and lower it.

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
I had a NB as a rental a few years ago, and commuted to trade school with an other guy, got a few comments like , when are you two getting married? who's the pitcher who's the receiver?

So I personally think the NB is a little feminine in a stock state, could man it up a little with a ground effects kit(notice I didn't say skirt) and not like the green one in pics above, some wheels and lower it.
Color, I think, has something to do with it, too. I've never gotten any comments about my car being girly. Of course, with the diesel hammering under the hood, it doesn't sound too girly.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Color, I think, has something to do with it, too. I've never gotten any comments about my car being girly. Of course, with the diesel hammering under the hood, it doesn't sound too girly.
A 1.8T isn't exactly a girly motor either. The 2.0 might be :D :eek:

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 PG 5m Jetta GL Sedan, 2003 RS 5m Jetta GLS Wagon (Golf Variant)
i answer in the affirmative. original beetle, no.

jimlockey

Veteran Member
TDI
14 TDI Jetta & 09 TDI Sportwagen
It's what YOU make it. I never had a problem with my 02 New Beetle. It was one of the most fun cars my wife ( of 50 years) and I owned. I may get another if VW will ever make another diesel. Here that VW.

simoco

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI S
It's what YOU make it. I never had a problem with my 02 New Beetle. It was one of the most fun cars my wife ( of 50 years) and I owned. I may get another if VW will ever make another diesel. Here that VW.
And that is why it is not a girly vehicle to you. The New Beetle is femine, but who says a masculine person cannot drive it. Plus does it not make you more of man to not think what others think. To be honest even though I did say it is femine, if I was looking for a dependable amazing gas mileage car I would never rule out an older New Beetle. You cannot beat the cost per savings a used New Beetle has.

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
Plus, it's just a fun car to drive. I tend to drive mine a bit more spirited than when I had the big Grand Marquis. Once you learn how to drive the torque in the TDI, they are all fun cars to be in.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
If you have to worry about it, don't buy it. Save your money for some counseling to improve your self esteem :)

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
Save your money for some counseling to improve your self esteem :)
Or save some money for male enhancement surgery. I saw a cute chick on the highway with a bumper sticker that said, "Nice truck! Sorry about your small penis." :eek:

Too bad she turned off at the wrong exit, I might have been able to get a date. :D

Stevestyle67

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI; 1972 Chevelle (Malibu) Convertible
Chicks dig guys in sporty Jettas and Golfs, that's a fact. I know a girl who would love to have a TDI beetle, except she doesnt have money for a car, and wouldn't take care of it. I've seen lots of women driving beetles, but can only think of two or three guys that drive them. I'm sure there are lots of guys driving new beetles around, and if I had to guess, I would definitly believe that there was a greater percentage of women nb drivers to men nb drivers. The results of my statistical analysis here: http://www.autoblog.com/2009/03/10/barbie-gets-em-another-em-car-for-birthday-pink-vw-new-beetl/

Surferchick2

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle, 2013 Golf
Chicks dig guys in sporty Jettas and Golfs, that's a fact.
Really? If the guy's an insecure putz, chicks don't give a damn what he drives unless its a Bugatti and she's a golddigger. Any car that's pink can be feminine. Theres a pink Barbie's Jeep Wrangler also, but I wouldn't call it a girly truck in general because they made one in her honor as your analysis suggests.

Here, I see it 50/50, and it depends on the color. I guess I never really thought of it as feminine at all, and I think it's hot when I see a guy driving a Beetle because it's a great car and he has good taste. The only thing I'd tell him to lose is the plush flower, unless it's a gruesome shade of black.

TheDon

TDI
shopping
I'm considering a black NB tdi because it has a good price and all the regular work done to it by the owner, records, and recent t-belt job. 45 mpg is way better than working stupid hard to get 25-26 mpg.

jimlockey

Veteran Member
TDI
14 TDI Jetta & 09 TDI Sportwagen
I got rid of my 02 Beetle. Mistake, mistake, mistake. If I could only get a PINK Beetle tdi, I would drive it without caring what some stupid guy thinks or says. I've raised two daughter, help raise four grandkids and working on raising four great grandkids. How childish to care what people think. After all that, I still live with my wife of 50 years. We are both in good health, workout 5 days a week. Life is short.

Last edited:

TDI_bubble

Veteran Member
TDI
98 tdi bubble
I get more looks than when I had a 350z, a lot more girls are like ' what thats a dude! '

stagman

TDI
2005 NB
I drive an '05 and in the summer months my wife's original (white!) Cabby. Last time I checked I still had all my male bits, thank you.

MyWifesTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GL 5M (sold), 2002 Jetta Wagen GLS 5M (sold), 2015 Golf TDI S 6M
Anthropomorphism-that's what people do when assigning gender to an automobile. I have owned cars reminded me of my coworker by their ability to not work so well, but male/female attributes of a vehicle elude me. TDI NBs may be considered cute, but just past the metal shell hides a true engineering marvel that cannot be (IMHO) considered either feminine or masculine...On a side note:

Hey jimlockey, have you ever viewed the movie The Big Lebowsky? Google 'Dudeism'...and chill!

hpc

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 NB TDI, 2013 GLK 250 BlueTec
I make runs to/from Indy-Mississippi - home being Indy and work
being in MS.

I can guarantee with 99% certainly that if my black NB-TDI (with
the Turbo S front) passes anything, that within 1-2 miles said vehicle
will pass me. Never fails.

I cruise at mildly elevated levels so as NOT to attract undue attention
from radar. I'll see (virtually any) vehicle ahead and eventually pass -
sedately passing it. If it's a minivan, SUV, pickup, anything Japanese, or
even Korean, it will speed up and shoot by within 1-2 miles after I
pass it.

After a few more miles, I'll repass it - still on cruise.

Acuras are probably the worst - they are so "vastly superior" (in their
own minds). They will dog the rear bumper in spite of a couple/few
throttle dips to induce the momentary black cloud.

Finaily, a serious dip of the throttle and BYE! Naturally, after backing
off and pulling into the right lane, they come blasting by...I can only
laugh - took them a long time to catch up.

Like Rodney said "I get no respect".

Don't have the same problem in the Passat TDI.

I, too, notice more females driving NB's than males - same for Mini Coopers.

Torque is too fun!

WardB

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB
I'm an old guy and don't give a shut what anybody thinks. Turbo diesel and mountain roads in a NB are fun. Yes, I still have my attitude.

I hang with another old guy who is legend around here for building hot cars (drag race). He drives HP and I drive torque. Torque is more fun.

PS I'd look real good in the car pictured above.

Last edited: