Rad Fans

esqilax

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf, 03 Jetta.
I had a nice smoke show today. Wife and I drove to my work to get tools to change the TB on my 94 golf. I left the car running with the AC on ( wife and child were in the car) while I went in to get the tools. When I got back in the car about 10 minutes later, there was a funny smell like burning wires. My wife said she smelt that a few minutes ago and turned the AC off. I popped the hood and looked down at the cooling fan and there's smoke coming up from the back of the motor. I jumped back into the car, looked at my scangauge, Temp says 97C (I've never seen it that high). Started driving right away engine cooled off, back to 88 - 91C.

So, I ordered a new fan, 85 bucks. Mine is dead, the bearings seized.

I'm wondering why my fuse didn't go? I'm hoping that my wiring isn't cooked. Any of you come across this before? (probably)

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
esqilax said:
I'm wondering why my fuse didn't go? I'm hoping that my wiring isn't cooked. Any of you come across this before? (probably)
I'll go for the obvious answer...the motor must not have been bad enough to pull enough amps to blow the fuse. If it had gone longer it probably would have blown the fuse.

Inspect all the wires. They're probably OK.

esqilax

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf, 03 Jetta.
Yea. It usually never goes over 91C.

I took the fan out. It is barely turnable by hand, definitly toast.

Wiring looked all Ok too. Hopefully that fan comes in by friday.