So I decided against the whole Nice Cars thing... Why? Read on

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5 spd TDi, 2003 Jetta GLS Indigo blue 5spd wagon. 2003 Jetta GLS Candy white wagon 5 speed
Zzzzz

Zzzzz

Last edited:

0die

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon B4V
Have you actually bought the MKIV or just decided to look for one?

that much for an old car? yes...it needs to be perfect...

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Sold a head yesterday to an 80-year old guy that was fixing a B4 that had a TB go and trash the head 10 minutes after buying from Nice Cars. I seem to remember he said it was about $17k. They were told that since it was driven off the lot they owned it, so tough luck.

I was pretty flabbergasted over the whole thing...
-BB

Chris Tobin

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
Sold a head yesterday to an 80-year old guy that was fixing a B4 that had a TB go and trash the head 10 minutes after buying from Nice Cars. I seem to remember he said it was about $17k. They were told that since it was driven off the lot they owned it, so tough luck.

-BB
WOW, talk about lousy customer service!!!:eek:

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
Yes, Leonard is the anti-Bob. And he'll no doubt have even more Nice Cars stories!

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Nice Cars seems to be the Prothe of the VW B4 market.

Good call on not going there.

If I bought a car, even a used one, and it trashed the head within 10 minutes of me buying it, I'd see the seller in court.

From the Implied Warranty on Used Cars on the wa.gov website:

"Every used car sold by a dealer in the State of Washington for personal (not
business) use has an implied warranty of merchantability...

...a used car must be reasonably fit for ordinary driving for a
reasonable period of time. If the buyer has major problems with the vehicle, the
consumer can request that the dealer fix the problem or refund the purchase price of the
car. If the dealer refuses, that may be a violation of the consumers implied warranty of
merchantability."​

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Keep in mind you've gone from one of the rarest TDIs to another extremely rare one. A4 Jetta Wagons with manual transmissions are difficult to find and expensive, typically. There are a fair number of automatics out there, but fewer manuals. And those of us who have them usually don't want to part with them.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Me, too, with a B4, 2-door Golf, and '02 wagon. The good news about the A4s is they're far better in avoiding rust. Not immune, but last a lot longer. Check rockers, front fender arches, and around the window on the inside of the tailgate. Those are the common places.

If you're prepared to jump on one sight-unseen and to travel to get it, and you may get lucky.

tripl-e

Veteran Member
TDI
b4 sporting a new ET 6th gear!
I'd never heard of Nice Cars until stumbling across this thread so I went to their website to snoop around. You know the old saying about first impressions? And the one about something that looks too good to be true? Well, my first impression is that Nice Cars is too good to be true. I'm sure the decision to look elsewhere is the right one. I wanted a 'v' in the worst way when I was looking for my B4 but just couldn't find a decent example for real world money so I settled on a sedan. It has been a great car but I know I'd have preferred the 'v'.

TDeanI

Veteran Member
TDI
'97 Passat TDI Wagon w/ 286K mi.
I have seen a lot of former Nice Cars for sale on craigslist Seattle.
The owners start by asking $14k then $12K, then $10K then $8k 6 months later before the ad will disappear from craigslist. Nice Cars used to post their cars on craigslist also, they were continuously flagged as they always were violating craigslist terms.

I also see a lot of craigslist ads parting out a bunch of gasser B4s and A3s in the Bellingham area where the Nice Cars chop shop is. Obviously the remnants of the hulks they stole the GLX parts from to make their "nice cars".
I wonder how many of their "low mileage" Nice Cars left their lot with same odometer it came in with :rolleyes:?
I would never buy a car that the insurance will only pay out 1/2 of what you paid for it. There is no resale value of any of their cars.
If you want an old TDI that new, you'd be better off buying a $5K car and paying a guru here $7K to fix it up.

0die

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon B4V

-BB
I thought Nice Cars claimed they replaced the timing belt on EVERY car they sold??? guess not....

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I thought Nice Cars claimed they replaced the timing belt on EVERY car they sold??? guess not....
They replace a lot more than that! I'm waiting on the update from Peter from when he visited Nice Cars yesterday (had to satisfy a curiosity), it'll be a whopper. I won't spoil the fun, but I'm pretty astonished.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
He will, he's in Cali, so a few hours behind us and I don't know what his work schedule is. Give him time. The story is worth the wait.

Bopper, he said he was going to give you a call when we got off the phone. I'm glad he did.

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5 spd TDi, 2003 Jetta GLS Indigo blue 5spd wagon. 2003 Jetta GLS Candy white wagon 5 speed
But I'm not.... heheheh Stay tuned for one hell of a story.

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
See the new post... and save yourself! lol

quantum_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
R320 CDI, '96 B4V (for sale)
Too bad they aren't actually passionate about these cars. I'm returning to the land of A4 wagon slowly as I just can't keep my wife loving the B4 now that we have a kid. I kept say "what about the room for trips? You loved it as the farm truck! blah, blah, blah..." I have to face that I will be putting mine up for sale soon and hopefully there won't be too many Seattle people turned off B4's by the "Nice guys"...

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
Omg I wanted one and still do badly. But finding a legitimate one in good condition is damn near impossible :(

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Omg I wanted one and still do badly. But finding a legitimate one in good condition is damn near impossible :(
Too bad you didn't get IBW's (Peter from IDParts)Indian Red one a few years ago-that was a BEAUTIFUL B4V -under 100k (legitimate)to boot. It sold to someone in South Dakota who turned around and flipped it. I saw it at a GTG I went to-he had LugNut busy fixing window issues and installing rear struts(or shocks);).....I wonder where that one is now:confused:...

Mcgink

Veteran Member
TDI
I-Red,"The Passat formerly known as Harlequin" 97 B4, a non VW GTDI too
Patience, one will turn up. Just don't let high miles scare you away from a well maintained specimen. Sometimes even one with a slightly checkered past is worth it. "I-Red" is a perfect example IMO.