Tucson, AZ Stealership Warning For '09 TDIs

GoneDiesel

Veteran Member
For those with the '09 CBEA 2.0 Liter Common Rail TDI, Chapman VW in Tucson has been using non 507.00 VW Spec oil for oil services. Straight from the horses mouth they use Castrol TXT 505.01 for all TDIs. I stopped in to purchase a quart of the 507.00 to have on hand if needed. I gave the parts guy the part number (GVW052195M2) for the 507.00 spec oil and after a few minutes of looking around he asked what vehicle it was going in. I told him the 09 common rail diesel and that it should be 507 spec. He messed around with the computer and then came out with the wrong oil. I mentioned that was for the PD TDI engines and the new CR TDI required 507 spec. He said they have never had any of this 507 spec and that all TDIs no matter what year required the 505.01. I said the owners manual states only 507.00. He said they have changed many 09 TDIs and never used it. So my wife ran and got the owners manual while I walked over and spoke with the service manager. Same exact story from him. I showed him the manual. He left and returned with about 20 pages of oil charts supplied from VW. He had the page open to the Jetta GLI and pointed to the 502.00 or something. I said that was a gas engine and not the TDI. He said yep it is see 200hp and the 502.00 superceded 505.00. I grabbed the paper and flipped it to the Jetta Sportwagon and pointed out the CBEA engine (140hp) CR TDI and pointed to 507.00. He was silent for a while and then said this is pretty embarrasing. You know more about oils than we do. He also mentioned they have filled all TDIs with the 505.01. He said they would be getting the 507.00 in and have a meeting to get everyone on the right page. I will wait a few weeks and stop in again to see if they have any in stock. So if you have had any service done at Chapman VW in Tucson you may want to take a look at the oil they used and keep your service receipt handy. Please stop in and check up to see if they have the 507.00 spec in stock. Hopefully they will start stocking and using the correct oil if several people are in there requesting it. GD

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
At least they admitted their mistake. I wonder how much of these issues are the dealer's fault, or VWoA for not providing the information.

Sip'n Diesel

Veteran Newbie
San Joaquin Valley, I have VCDS (KII-USB)
TDI
2003 ALH: 254,000 miles
GoneDiesel said:
So if you have had any service done at Chapman VW in Tucson you may want to take a look at the oil they used and keep your service receipt handy.
... have a lawyer handy as well:cool:

:rolleyes:this is going to be a huge problem for at least 1 year... think how many owners are not even aware of the 507 requirement:(

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
More than one year. Some dealers even today can't use the right oil in PDs, or sometimes even VEs *Oo*

velociT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI *sold*
Bob_Fout said:
More than one year. Some dealers even today can't use the right oil in PDs, or sometimes even VEs *Oo*
So true.

Dealer = Murphy's Law = Expect to get screwed.

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
The current VW 505.01/502.00 oils are already low "SAPS" (sulfated ash, phosphorus, sulpher), formulations, based on the generic ACEA "C3-08" Spec. In fact, the BMW LL04 and Mercedes 229.51 specifications (for their DPF equipped engines), allow the same level of SAPS as the VW 505.01 spec.

The take home message is that using a VW 505.01 oil in a 2009 VW TDI is NOT going to cause an issue with the DPF. In terms of comparitive wear protection, the 5w-40, VW 505.01 oils may actually perform a bit better.

The reason for all the dire warnings from VWOA is so folks don't use a very high ash, HD diesel oil in this App. By high ash, I mean an API/CI-4+ chemistry which can have up to 1.6% sulfated ash - compared to 0.6% for a VW 507.00 product.

grizzlydiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 speed
again, has alot to do with salespeople.

As i stated in a different thread, whenever i had a TDI customer, i bought them a quart of 507.00, told them about the ULSD requirement, B5 limit, and some of them i actually referred here to this forum ;)

GoneDiesel

Veteran Member
The Stealership Had The Right Document

He tried to show me I was wrong by using a document provided from VW. He just didn't know how to use it. He had the page open to the GLI and tried to tell me this was the TDI and kept pointing to the "200hp."

I called the local Jeep stealership to see if they had the Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30 and they said come on down we have 15 quarts. I get down there and they actually only had one quart and said Jeep has switched to Pennsoil Ultra Diesel 5w-30. This unfortunately is a 505.01 spec oil. So I guess I will be buying online if the VW stealership doesn't get some in. GD

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
I doubt any of the 09 cars will suffer any harm from a couple of OC of 505.01 - TS is correct

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
GoneDiesel said:
He tried to show me I was wrong by using a document provided from VW. He just didn't know how to use it. He had the page open to the GLI and tried to tell me this was the TDI and kept pointing to the "200hp."

I called the local Jeep stealership to see if they had the Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30 and they said come on down we have 15 quarts. I get down there and they actually only had one quart and said Jeep has switched to Pennsoil Ultra Diesel 5w-30. This unfortunately is a 505.01 spec oil. So I guess I will be buying online if the VW stealership doesn't get some in. GD
LOL....sad....really sad. You can give em charts, put stickers under the hood, put out TSB, etc. etc. If they can't or won't read it....oh well.

CsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 TouaregTDI, '15 JettaTDI
It is ironic in this case, that the very people "trained" to tend to the needs of the vehicle are the ones responsible for its demise.

You are your vehicle's only hope!

Bet the stories will roll in here down the road of VWs failure to accept responsibility for failed DPFs?