towing?

baun

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf
wasnt sure where to post this. has any body towed a small trailer with there tdi. if so how hard is to temporarely mount a trailer hitch? im moving here soon and dont want to rent a truck im moving about a hour and a half away. im thinking like a small uhaul trailer.

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
Do a search, you will find more than you need.
BUT, in short

Yes you can pull a small trailer and many people have pulled much more than a 'small trailer' although it is not recommended

As far as hitches go I believe there are two main players: hiddenhitch and drawtight....hiddenhitch seems to be the best system. Self-install in a few hours.

Good Luck

DIESELprogrammer

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2003, Silver/Gray
baun said:
wasnt sure where to post this. has any body towed a small trailer with there tdi. if so how hard is to temporarely mount a trailer hitch? im moving here soon and dont want to rent a truck im moving about a hour and a half away. im thinking like a small uhaul trailer.
Lots of towing going on - do some searching on my user name to get you started. I really don’t think you are going to find any temporary hitch. North American hitches requires drilling, and the European hitches require the removal of the rear bumper.

11+k miles towing this.

1+k miles towing this.

20 miles towing this.

JetPuf

Veteran Member
TDI
White '98 Bug, Gray 2010 GL350
I chose to go with the Draw-Tite option. I believe it to have better attachment points then the hidden hitch. I will say that the hidden hitch is more "hidden" though.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Fortuna Wolf said:
I would have loved to see the look on people's faces seeing a car tow another car.
Here's a couple pics from TDItech's cross-country move (from Washington state to Virginia).