www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old February 14th, 2020, 08:37   #1
blackdogtdi

TDI(s): 2011 Golf
Default Towing

I've looked through countless threads it feels like and I'm still fairly unsure about the topic.

I'm looking to get a hitch to pull a small trailer with a motorcycle across the country. It looks like Curt is what would be easiest to get and install, however, they only have a product for the Sportwagen gas car, whereas I have a manual Golf (TDI obviously).

Are there any others that are quick / easy to obtain?

Do rear springs (or any other components) need to be stiffened/upgraded/required to be added?

Any help or info would be greatly appreciated!
Old February 14th, 2020, 09:48   #2
murphyslaw
Veteran Member

https://torkliftcentral.com/

Look at the ecohitch

2014 JSW Sunroof/Nav non-DSG
murphyslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2020, 07:08   #3
dandywriter
Veteran Member

Good discussion on heavy duty springs/struts in this thread:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...tiguan+springs
Old February 15th, 2020, 11:25   #4
JELLOWSUBMARINE
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyslaw View Post
https://torkliftcentral.com/

Look at the ecohitch
<---

Well worth the extra $. actually it can/will eliminate the spring helper cost. Eco hitch not only gives class III 2" receiver (can always size down) but sits higher, virtually eliminating need to add expense and harsh ride.

http://pics.tdiclub.com/showgallery.php?cat=7100
Old February 15th, 2020, 14:14   #5
blackdogtdi

TDI(s): 2011 Golf

Thanks for responses! Looking at the ecohitch, it only shows Jetta or Tiguan...I could be wrong, but aren’t those both wider than a non-sportwagen golf?
Old February 17th, 2020, 16:38   #6
pkhoury
That guy with the goats

Rear towing springs are fantastic when towing, but my ride quality is $#it when I'm not towing. Thankfully, changing rear springs really only requires 2 hydraulic jacks and maybe 20 minutes of my time tops.

If you want to tow legally, you're going to need trailer lighting. AFAIK, the only solution is a trailer module that plugs into the CAN bus, and mine was over $300 shipped from PF Jones in the UK. You might be able to get something cheaper; I don't know for certain. This was programmed via VCDS, and allows me to get a brake output signal for my Tekonsha brake controller.

As for hitches, I think Drawtite and Curt have options, but I wouldn't ever use one of those. I use a Bosal hitch, but sadly, IDparts stopped carrying them, so you'd need to import it from overseas.

I probably have close to 100K miles towing with mk4 and mk6 TDIs, so I speak from experience, and I've towed anywhere from my first trailer (5x10 single axle) up to a 83" x 20 Big Tex tandem axle (yes, it works, even on DSG, but it's not ideal).My regular trailer is a 5x14 tandem and a 5x10 single aluminum livestock trailer.
pkhoury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2020, 20:40   #7
JELLOWSUBMARINE
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkhoury View Post
and I've towed anywhere from my first trailer (5x10 single axle) up to a 83" x 20 Big Tex tandem axle (yes, it works, even on DSG, but it's not ideal).My regular trailer is a 5x14 tandem and a 5x10 single aluminum livestock trailer.
EEEHAW that's some real towing. Kinda reminds me of a pumped Pinto I tow dollied a 79' Trans Am and a 78 VW pop top bus
Old February 18th, 2020, 03:55   #8
dandywriter
Veteran Member

For wiring, my trailer has hydraulic surge brakes, so I don't need a controller. I used https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and the install was pretty easy. It draws power from the battery directly and CANBUS is happy with the lights.
Old February 18th, 2020, 14:27   #9
PRY4SNO
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Impressive

I personally found the Tiguan+Towing springs improved the ride, but offer two caveats. 1) The springs were paired with Bilstein Touring shocks/struts and 2) the OEM suspension had 200k miles (320k km) and were toast.

Not doubting pkhoury, just a different experience or data point. Our roads could be much worse up here too, lots of frost heaves from long winters.

- 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 24v Cummins 4x4
- 1992 Audi 80q 20v: the 20vt winter sled (long term project)
- 1990 Audi Cq 20v: #becauseracecar
PRY4SNO is offline   Reply With Quote