Washed my hands off of this diesel econobox Saturday morning - my buyback experience

DUBPL8

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 CW Golf TDi, '92 Honda Civic VX (wrecked), '96 Honda Civic CX hatchback (non-TDI)
Yes, another one of these threads.

Went in early to Autobahn VW for my buyback appointment which was at 10am. But due to the 9am appointment flaking out, I was able to be taken care of 20 minutes before 10. The guy responsible for the buyback was very kind and helpful, presenting the offer to me which was consistent with my calculations based on mileage of 74,0xx. Signed some paperwork, gave me the chance to retrieve any belongings (though I had that done the weekend prior), took photos of the mileage and the head unit (to which he informed me that vehicles without head units will not be accepted for the buyback), and the staff even inquired on whether I want to take a look at what they have offering at the moment.

Of course, as I'm in the market for a house, no new cars for me until I move in to one. Since I bank with Chase, I expect to receive my payment pretty soon. Furthermore, as I have made 5 payments since I had everything approved, the contractor also emphasized that I check my VW Credit account daily and once it is fully paid off, that I immediately contact them ASAP and have them mail out the check covering the last 5 payments, including interest.

Lastly, he also let me know that I should present the receipt of the transaction to the local DMV to prevent any future headaches as the vehicle is no longer in my possession.

To add, they were also courteous enough to offer me a ride back to my house as it was done on a Saturday, but luckily I had a homie give me a ride back.

Overall, a very pleasant experience to wash my hands off this polluting econobox. Hard to resist an offer of $21k, so with that I say GURL, BYE!

Last edited:

Vidgamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI (turned in)
Well, it's the most fun "econobox" I've driven, and I don't know if the pollution is all that horrible, but yeah -- it's a nice chunk of change. Lots of reasons to turn it in. I miss the mileage a bit, but I found something even more fun to drive.

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Odds are whatever you found pollutes far more, especially when you factor in the the pollution from producing said vehicle. Probably got yourself a Prius, one of the highest polluters out there. Jeremy Clarkson had the best solution for those.

My '81 Rabbit is one of the cleanest cars out there running on bio; its carbon footprint was produced ages ago and on bio its carbon neutral.

Whatever, not like any of us will convince you otherwise. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

DUBPL8

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 CW Golf TDi, '92 Honda Civic VX (wrecked), '96 Honda Civic CX hatchback (non-TDI)
Odds are whatever you found pollutes far more, especially when you factor in the the pollution from producing said vehicle. Probably got yourself a Prius, one of the highest polluters out there. Jeremy Clarkson had the best solution for those.

My '81 Rabbit is one of the cleanest cars out there running on bio; its carbon footprint was produced ages ago and on bio its carbon neutral.

Actually genius, I have a '96 Civic hatchback that's more reliable and much cleaner than any TDI out there. Not to mention cheaper to maintain on top of it. :rolleyes:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e

The myth of the Prius being "one of the highest polluters out there" was debunked long ago.

gcodori

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 NB TDI plus CPO 2013 Passat TDI SEL Prem.
Actually genius, I have a '96 Civic hatchback that's more reliable and much cleaner than any TDI out there. Not to mention cheaper to maintain on top of it. :rolleyes:
You do know that Honda's built between 1995 and 1997 were found to have the emission systems disabled in order for them to cheat the EPA tests?

They were fined and forced to repair the systems in 1.6 million cars. If you have under 150,000 miles you get a free inspections and a new emission system from Honda...

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Probably got yourself a Prius, one of the highest polluters out there.
That's been debunked for basically a decade now.
Don't be so sure about that: https://m.phys.org/news/2016-08-biofuels-decrease-heat-trapping-carbon-dioxide.html

In any case, even if your CO2 emissions are lower (and you are correct that the manufacturing footprint is long paid for, but that's a relatively low percentage of lifecycle CO2 emissions), how are your NOx or PM emissions?
How's your VOC, NMHC, CO, and PM emissions? NOx, OK, maybe, but...

Last edited:

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf

What are you talking about Aaron? The Prius has practically no carbon footprint whatsoever. Mining the batteries has zero impact on the environment, and the ICE produces no tailpipe emissions, which is why nobody has to do emissions checks on it. Hell, why buy a CNG vehicle when you can buy a Prius? Not to mention it's the most fun driving experience ever!

On a serious note, I do wonder what the net environmental impact is for hybrids and electric vehicles, both prior to first sale, and over the life of the vehicle, assuming in the case of an electric vehicle, that not all power used to charge the car will be provided from renewable energy sources.

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
What are you talking about Aaron? The Prius has practically no carbon footprint whatsoever. Mining the batteries has zero impact on the environment, and the ICE produces no tailpipe emissions, which is why nobody has to do emissions checks on it. Hell, why buy a CNG vehicle when you can buy a Prius? Not to mention it's the most fun driving experience ever!

On a serious note, I do wonder what the net environmental impact is for hybrids and electric vehicles, both prior to first sale, and over the life of the vehicle, assuming in the case of an electric vehicle, that not all power used to charge the car will be provided from renewable energy sources.
Our very own wxman has provided that data on several occasions, some posts even include fun graphs and charts.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I could tell from the title this thread would be a whine session. Hopefully the op runs back to Honda and doesn't grace this forum with his negativity again.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
I could tell from the title this thread would be a whine session. Hopefully the op runs back to Honda and doesn't grace this forum with his negativity again.
LOL.

And it seems he and the VW rep made a mistake - DMV doesn't handle vehicle registrations in Texas - it's all down by the tax office. And if you don't register your vehicle when it's due, nobody really gives a s#!t. I didn't register my farm trailer for 5 months past when registration was due. What did I pay? $2.75 late fee.

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Hey, even I have to drink some Kool-aid sometimes. Isn't Top Gear the best source of news out there?...fair enough.

Seeing as the Caddy only drives about 500 miles a year thus far it's still pretty clean...I've only put two tanks in it since owning it. Dang gauge won't go down.

gcodori

Veteran Member
TDI
You do know that Honda's built between 1995 and 1997 were found to have the emission systems disabled in order for them to cheat the EPA tests?

They were fined and forced to repair the systems in 1.6 million cars. If you have under 150,000 miles you get a free inspections and a new emission system from Honda...
I find it funny dub has been pretty silent after informing him that his beloved Honda also had cheated emissions.

I love dishing out sweet sweet irony on a hot platter.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

DUBPL8

Veteran Member
TDI
I find it funny dub has been pretty silent after informing him that his beloved Honda also had cheated emissions.

I love dishing out sweet sweet irony on a hot platter.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Whatever helps you sleep better at night. Personally I don't care because for the record it's already got the work done ages ago from previous owners. Honda got what it deserved and after that, I don't recall Honda engaging in any activity since. But you're comparing apples to oranges, as Honda's impact was nowhere near as severe as VW did on a global scale and eventually hastening the demise of the diesel powerplant.

Many of you act like TDI's are freakin' Lambos or Bugatti's. They're just econoboxes like my 2 decade old Civic hatch. VW dropped the ball and you guys want to act like they've a victim of a witch hunt by the big-bad regulators :rolleyes:

gcodori

Veteran Member
TDI
Whatever helps you sleep better at night. Personally I don't care because for the record it's already got the work done ages ago from previous owners. Honda got what it deserved and after that, I don't recall Honda engaging in any activity since. But you're comparing apples to oranges, as Honda's impact was nowhere near as severe as VW did on a global scale and eventually hastening the demise of the diesel powerplant.
Many of you act like TDI's are freakin' Lambos or Bugatti's. They're just econoboxes like my 2 decade old Civic hatch. VW dropped the ball and you guys want to act like they've a victim of a witch hunt by the big-bad regulators :rolleyes:
Honda has been pretty clean since in terms of auto scandals...as long as you avoid mentioning Takata (which Honda had a controlling share before trying to distance themselves).:eek:

Enjoy driving your 1996 Honda Irony. Luckily you won't have to deal with the airbag trying to kill you.:D