Dieselgate, The Canadian Edition

Lucsar

Veteran Member
TDI
Returned to VW: 2015 Passat Highline DSG EarlyLease Termination
the whole ownership (car part and the plate part)?
the ID section is asking for both sides.. did they accept your DL since you provided the front side only?
Yes. Whole ownership car and plate portion.
Yes D/L accepted front only.. I'm at green check mark step 15 stage... Have been for approx 1 week.

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2012 TDI Highline Manual
So I was out of town, had to wait until I got back Friday, to print off the offer. It was for a BUYBACK, not a trade....
Ouch. That's gotta suck.
Its been 2 weeks since my green check marks...can't wait till they send me the wrong paperwork...

Scratchy101

Veteran Member
TDI
Returned 2012 Golf TDI, now 2015 Mazda CX-5 & 2018 Nissan Leaf SV
That is for a purchase made after March 2013...
I wonder if a rebate is possible for a purchase made in Nov 2010?
Looking at Part E of this form, it appears the vehicle must have been returned within 30 &/or 180 days to be eligible for this rebate.
There is also this time limitation:
An application for refund must be received by the ministry
within four years from the date PST was paid.
Here is the form for purchases made prior to March 2013:
http://www.sbr.gov.bc.ca/documents_library/forms/0318FILL.pdf

Complete this application form if you purchased a
vehicle, boat or aircraft in British Columbia on or after
July 1, 2010 or brought a vehicle into British Columbia
on or after July 1, 2010, paid the 12% provincial tax on
designated property and are requesting a refund of the
tax paid.
Note, it has the same time limitation of 4 years:
INSTRUCTIONS:
• A refund application must be received by the ministry within four years
from the date tax was paid.
So in the words of the Soup ****, it appears there is "no tax rebate for you!" :(

tobianogreg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta returned
I'd still pursue a rebate even with an older vehicle. Governments certified these cars as meeting emissions regulations and their testing regime obviously was not sophisticated or rigorous enough to pick up on the fraud. How can they refuse a tax refund on tax that was obtained through fraudulent means?

If they refuse a refund, there may be basis for another class action.

Last edited:

Lucsar

Veteran Member
TDI
I'd still pursue a rebate even with an older vehicle. Governments certified these cars as meeting emissions regulations and their testing regime obviously was not sophisticated or rigorous enough to pick up on the fraud. How can they refuse a tax refund on tax that was obtained through fraudulent means?

If they refuse a refund, there may be basis for another class action.
Exactly!! As much as I would love to have a new Alltrak wagon sitting in my driveway .. I will steer far and clear of VW. I think it would probably be easier to get an organ transplant, than to go through this buyback return process...

Smokin_Joe

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI Highline returned for refund
Looking at Part E of this form, it appears the vehicle must have been returned within 30 &/or 180 days to be eligible for this rebate.
There is also this time limitation:
Here is the form for purchases made prior to March 2013:
http://www.sbr.gov.bc.ca/documents_library/forms/0318FILL.pdf

Note, it has the same time limitation of 4 years:

So in the words of the Soup ****, it appears there is "no tax rebate for you!" :(
:D
Oh Thx...another dream blown to h...lol;)
I will give them a call thou and thanks for the links:)

sydneycb

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline
Has anyone on the East coast received an offer letter yet?
I submitted my documents on May 1. They were approved on May 7. Haven't heard a thing since.

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2012 TDI Highline Manual
I submitted my documents on May 1. They were approved on May 7. Haven't heard a thing since.
Join the club. Also submitted on May 1...approved on the 9th....still waiting.

Smokin_Joe

Veteran Member
TDI
Part E:

other – Explain, in detail, your reason for requesting a refund (if more space is required, attach a separate sheet of paper):
Thanks tobianogreg
I saw that too and on Scratchy101 link
http://www.sbr.gov.bc.ca/documents_l...s/0318FILL.pdf
It falls under
5 Other –specify::D
I will be giving Victoria a call this week.
Let you know what they say....
Both forms have time limits..But I couldn't see a 30 day time limit on the after March 2013 refund application...
It wouldn't be fair for some people to qualify because they bought their cars in 2015 and others bought before 2013.
I will be carefully wording my questions to find out if ANYONE can claim for a refund due to VW's buyback. I encourage everyone who is eligible to qualify for a refund to apply...soon.
Please let us know if anyone does qualify and receives a refund.

Last edited:

tobianogreg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta returned
I rebooked/moved up our buyback date to ensure we would be under the four year deadline.

I can't find anything similar on the federal tax site but will try anyways. My estate may one day get a refund. ?

FYI: if you rebook your buyback you can reset that hokey estimated mileage at turn in portion.

Last edited:

Smokin_Joe

Veteran Member
TDI
I rebooked/moved up our buyback date to ensure we would be under the four year deadline.

I can't find anything similar on the federal tax site but will try anyways. My estate may one day get a refund. ?

FYI: if you rebook your buyback you can reset that hokey estimated mileage at turn in portion.
Good...
Now my problem is the Scrapit program has run out of slots and I now have to wait till Jan 2018 for the next possibility of a $6000 rebate for a junker I have....
In the next few weeks I will be opening up the portal and applying.
Mine will be in Jan 2018 to align with a Volt I plan on ordering, I will take some time at the calculator to see if I will gain anything by parking the tdi till later in 2018.
If I get the $11000 off the Volt with incentives/scrapit I will be very happy.
Compare the cost of the other electric hybrid options and it becomes a no brainer...nothing else compares.

https://plugndrive.ca/electric-cars-available-in-canada
Look forward to hearing if you are successful with your tax rebate.;)

YCdubber

TDI
2010 Golf Wagon Comfortline TDI
My parents have their appointment booked in Halifax this Friday for a trade in on a 2015 TDI.
We both submitted on the 29th and documents approved on the 5th, I am still stuck on the green checkmarks.

bmcmullin

TDI
2012 Touareg Execline, 2011 Jetta (bought back 6/17)
Yes. I have an appointment at Steele VW, Dartmouth for Monday, June 5 at 10AM to return car. While mere speculation, it seems that if the car is not on lease or subject to a loan, the process goes faster.

uchu

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat Highline - in VW's possession
Yes. I have an appointment at Steele VW, Dartmouth for Monday, June 5 at 10AM to return car. While mere speculation, it seems that if the car is not on lease or subject to a loan, the process goes faster.
It's probably correct. I stupidly assumed that because my loan is with VW Finance, it would've been more or less expedite. No such thing.

Now I regret it not had it paid off with a line of credit before the claim process started. The interest rate difference was not big, so in hindsight it would've been better.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
I wish. Ours is not leased, nor is there a loan on it, and we're still stuck on the green checkmarks of hell since May 10th in spite of having submitted on the very first day, the evening of the 28th of April as soon as the portal was functional and stable.

Rob_MacCara

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi Q3 gasser
I also uploaded my docs on the 28th, green checks since the 10th of May, and apparently my offer is waiting to be audited. I've got an Audi in Moncton waiting for my trade-in.

Kenshin

TDI
A3 TDI
Just made appointment in GTA for June 6th.

Tried to create account on 28th, but didn't receive activation email till 29th.
Uploaded all docs on 29th.
Called in on the 9th to confirm that all my documents were there lady escalated my claim.
Docs approved on the 11th
Offer received on the 18th.
Signed and uploaded offer on 18th
Confirmation/Appointment booked on the 22nd for June 6th

Lucsar

Veteran Member
TDI
My parents have their appointment booked in Halifax this Friday for a trade in on a 2015 TDI.
We both submitted on the 29th and documents approved on the 5th, I am still stuck on the green checkmarks.
Congrats !! Wow, that's the earliest appt I've heard of in Canada...

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Finally got our letter! Offer is exactly as per the original estimate.

And now my scanner decides to bug out as I try to upload the signed copies...

Edit: finally got the signed offer uploaded. Now another eyeball staring at me. I wonder how long this review step will take???

Last edited:

Rob_MacCara

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi Q3 gasser
I'm starting to feel left out. :(
Submitted docs on the 28th, check marks on the 10th, and still waiting for my offer.
Got a down payment on an Audi Q3 waiting for me in Moncton (I'm in Halifax).

Lucsar

Veteran Member
TDI
Finally got our letter! Offer is exactly as per the original estimate.

And now my scanner decides to bug out as I try to upload the signed copies...

Edit: finally got the signed offer uploaded. Now another eyeball staring at me. I wonder how long this review step will take???
Good stuff; just hang in there, I'm sure it'll come soon. Quick question for you: Did the letter come by email, or you got it when logging into portal, or a phone call ? I'm still at Step 15, Documents Complete since Friday May 12 after being escalated by rep. Who knows ?? Someone mentioned earlier that cases with "early lease returns or financed vehicles with loans outstanding are taking longer than vehicles that have no liens or owned outright by claimant.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Good stuff; just hang in there, I'm sure it'll come soon. Quick question for you: Did the letter come by email, or you got it when logging into portal, or a phone call ? I'm still at Step 15, Documents Complete since Friday May 12 after being escalated by rep. Who knows ?? Someone mentioned earlier that cases with "early lease returns or financed vehicles with loans outstanding are taking longer than vehicles that have no liens or owned outright by claimant.
We got an email linking us back to the portal, from where I downloaded the offer.

I've given up on figuring out any kind of order to how they process the submissions... but for the record ours was buyback with trade-in, car owned outright, no outstanding loans on it.

Cheekee

TDI
NO MORE 2012 Jetta TDI >> F150
We got an email linking us back to the portal, from where I downloaded the offer.
I've given up on figuring out any kind of order to how they process the submissions... but for the record ours was buyback with trade-in, car owned outright, no outstanding loans on it.

after uploading the signed offer , it took 3 hours to receive the email and access to setting up appointment with the dealer .... a few days later , I received a phone call from Ricepoint to verify mileage ... June 3 is the big day for me to be finally finished with VW ...... almost there !! Cheers and Good luck to everyone here ;)

icecoaster

TDI
2012 Golf Wagon
I'm trying to schedule an appointment and on the online form, it asks:

"Are the kilometres driven as of Transaction Date determinable on the vehicle?"

What the heck does that mean? Later on, it asks for odometer reading so it's not that.

I tried calling the helpline but they are not working over the holiday.

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
So I was out of town, had to wait until I got back Friday, to print off the offer. It was for a BUYBACK, not a trade..................

Called Friday night, they told me I'd need to be reset to step 8................ and reload all my documents. Argued for a while with a supervisor, I wanted them to just reset my case to the trade, which I am sure it was, and then reapprove my documents without me having to reload, rewait, etc. Can't be done apparently.

So I went back to step 8, where I was on April 28th. Not got the Blue stare going again.

What a cocked up process. It has no flexibility, even when they are making mistakes.

They should have built in an override system so someone with authority could make it right without starting over.
I got my green checkmarks for docs approved today, sent them Saturday!!!!!!!

b1jackson

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf - Gone in BUYBACK. Replaced with 2015 Golf
Approved and appointment set! Finally.

Letter of offer received May 5th, signed and sent back on the 8th and finally got to set appointment today.

kruiken

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
I'm trying to schedule an appointment and on the online form, it asks:
"Are the kilometres driven as of Transaction Date determinable on the vehicle?"
What the heck does that mean? Later on, it asks for odometer reading so it's not that.
I tried calling the helpline but they are not working over the holiday.

It's just lawyer-speak for "Has your odometer been working since you bought the car?"
Answer 'yes'