Imported TDI's and 'dieselgate'

delta18

TDI
2012 Golf Comfortline 6MT
I, and I am sure others, am in an interesting situation as dieselgate unfolds.

I originally purchased my 2012 Golf in Canada and when I moved to the US for work in 2015 I imported my car. As was discussed here in another thread those of us with imported TDI's are not eligible for either Goodwill program.

This grey area with the Goodwill program makes me worry that whatever compensation, fix, buyback, etc. is decided upon by VW also won't apply to those of us with imported TDI's.

I thought I should start a thread for those of us who imported TDI's (either from Canada to the US as I did or from the US to Canada) to have some discussion about our unique situation.

One thing that has me worried is that part of the basis for a legal importation of a vehicle to the US is that it conforms to EPA standards (as indicated by the sticker under the hood). As we all now know the TDI does not conform to EPA standards. I worry that if the EPA really wants they could use this as justification to revoke my car's legal status in the US and force export. Given that the car also now does not conform to Canadian standards what then happens to my car?

Not sure what will happen but I hope we don't fall between the cracks like we did with the Goodwill program.

A bit tongue-in-cheek but if anyone in Canada has a comparable US TDI they want to trade let me know. It could solve both of our problems :)

hex_915

TDI
12' TDI Sedan
I would say a lawyer educated in the matter can answer all those questions :)

dmarsingill

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Sportwagen Turned in , 2000 Z3 Coupe, 2003 Ford Expedition
It has not been officially announced that they don't meet standards. The EPA has said they are safe and legal to drive until further notice. Personally, I would just keep driving. You already have your importation papers......they won't take them back. It's now up to Nevada to decide whether your car is legal to register every year. I don't see that as a problem either.

Donald

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
If you legally imported the vehicle I see no reason why the result of an EPA action would not cover your vehicle. It would be treated the same as a safety recall.

delta18

TDI
It's now up to Nevada to decide whether your car is legal to register every year. I don't see that as a problem either.
Except that I am moving to California next year...

If you legally imported the vehicle I see no reason why the result of an EPA action would not cover your vehicle. It would be treated the same as a safety recall.
They may fix it sure, but will they honour the warranty on said fix? Any warranty from VW is not valid on imported cars.

If they end up doing a buyback will they buy back a Canadian VW in the US? Especially if a different solution is reached for Canada vs the US?

Given that I am not eligible for either Goodwill program I am also skeptical that I will be eligible for any compensation from VW.

If I end up having to take it back to Canada I doubt they will compensate me for the costs associated with re-importing the car and my expenses in getting it there.

You can see why those of us with imported cars may have a bit more to worry about than your average TDI owner.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
No one is going to take your car away. The import process hasn't changed because of dieselgate, it's business as usual.

norcorider

TDI
2013 Passat TDI (Buyback completed Dec 21st)
I am in the same boat as OP. I moved to Canada from US and imported my 2013 Passat TDI via RIV process. I am not worried about not getting owners credit package as much as being in a limbo about actual fix. I certainly hope there is no buy back since I don't want a new car loan since I have already paid off Passat.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
Canadians are moving to USA.... BUILD A WALL!!! :D

Seems like all the Canadian actors, comedians and singers end up in USA...

That is OK.... but....

please take Celine Dion and Nickleback.... back....

Last edited:

delta18

TDI
Just wanted to bump this thread for discussion on this now that the settlement documents have been released.

Currently there is no information on the settlement site and if you own a Canadian VW like mine then you will get nowhere when you enter your VIN on the site.

As an added FYI, I phoned VW of America to ask about what will happen to imported TDI's like mine. Currently they have no information on what will happen. They say "if you go back to Canada there is no problem." I pointed out that I am not moving back to Canada anytime in the near future as I have a job in California and my car is registered there. I was told "I don't know you would have to ask VW of Canada."

I will wait until whatever the Canadian settlement is before I call VW of Canada.

I was wondering if there is anyone here with a US VW currently in Canada who has any information from VW of America what to do about their vehicle?

My big concern is that folks with imported VW's fell between the cracks for the goodwill program (as in we weren't able to get it). I really hope we don't fall into some no man's land in terms of the settlement.

Rubbertree

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Highline
I wanted to join this thread as I'm in the same boat as delta18. Canadian, moved to the US with my Jetta and now am getting nowhere with VW. I have called VW Canada countless times inquiring about the "Goodwill Package" only to be told that they have not yet come to a solution to the problem of cars in the US. I think it is pretty clear that there will not be a solution...at least not when it comes to the goodwill package.
Frankly...I don't see what the issue really is. Every American with my car got $1000. Every Canadian with my car got $1000...but because I'm a Canadian in America this simple issue somehow becomes insurmountable.
Interestingly I asked VW US what they did for US (military members mind you) owners that were out of country and they told me they simply cut them a cheque.
I'm hoping that there is more clarity when the final details of the buy back are announced.

delta18

TDI
Update from today. I called VW and got through to someone in their special TDI settlement group. I was told that Canadian VW's that are registered in the US are eligible for the settlement. We still can't register online because the Canadian VIN comes up as ineligible but I was told that they are working on getting the VINs of Canadian vehicles registered in the US put into the system and that I should check back in 1 week. I will remain skeptical until I see it happen but at least this sounds promising.

Not Happy With VW

TDI
Jetta TDI
Update from today. I called VW and got through to someone in their special TDI settlement group. I was told that Canadian VW's that are registered in the US are eligible for the settlement. We still can't register online because the Canadian VIN comes up as ineligible but I was told that they are working on getting the VINs of Canadian vehicles registered in the US put into the system and that I should check back in 1 week. I will remain skeptical until I see it happen but at least this sounds promising.
That is great news to hear.

Now I just need to find a southern neighbor in New York State that would like to buy my TDI, according to the online calculations my 13 Jetta TDI should get $21300 USD. I will sell to any American for $18300 USD. That's an easy $3000 pay day for the buyer

Freeze Plug

Veteran Member
TDI
Turd Sandwich
That is great news to hear.

Now I just need to find a southern neighbor in New York State that would like to buy my TDI, according to the online calculations my 13 Jetta TDI should get $21300 USD. I will sell to any American for $18300 USD. That's an easy $3000 pay day for the buyer
no one would ever do that due to 50% restitution payment reduction

delta18

TDI
Another update. Doesn't look good.

So Despite being told on two different occasions by people working at the VW customer care TDI line that my car would be eligible because it was registered in the US. Today when I spoke to them they had changed their tune.

Now I have been told that no in fact that is incorrect my car is not eligible because it was not sold in the US and that I would have to contact VW Canada for their settlement.

Which is a bit of a joke because VW Canada does not have even a settlement proposal on the table yet.

My concern here is that I will be stuck in the same situation I was with the Goodwill package (only worse) where VWoA told me I wasn't eligible because my car was purchased in Canada and VWoC told me I wasn't eligible because my car was registered in the US.

Is there anyone on here with a TDI originally purchased in the US but registered in Canada who can let me know what you are going through? It seems like the reason they say my car isn't eligible is on page 8 of their settlement document and if you read that section then anyone with a car not registered in the US is also not eligible.

(2) registered with a state Department of Motor Vehicles or equivalent agency or held by bill of sale by a non-Volkswagen Dealer in the United States or its territories as of June 28, 2016; (3) for an Eligible Owner, is currently Operable or ceases to be Operable after the date set by the Court for consumers to opt out of the Class Action or the Effective Date, whichever is earlier; and (4) have not been modified pursuant to an Approved Emissions Modification. Eligible Vehicle excludes any Volkswagen or Audi vehicle that was never sold in the United States or its territories.
I wouldn't worry about this as much and would consider it a way to avoid having to get my car fixed or bought back but I live in CA...

Any other imported car owners feel like joining me in our own class action suit? I'm sure we could find a lawyer interested in taking the case.

Last edited:

Airpizz6

Veteran Member
TDI
Now TDI-free, but there now is a 15 MB E250 BT in the driveway
Any other imported car owners feel like joining me in our own class action suit? I'm sure we could find a lawyer interested in taking the case.
Suggest you pose your question on the Dieselgate Canadian Edition thread. And get ready to be blasted for invading their space.

GetMore

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat TDI, 2010 Jetta Sportwagen
I know this does not help the American owners of Canadian cars, but it should (in my opinion) be good news for Canadians with American cars. They should be able to collect on the American Dieselgate Payout. (TM to come)
The VIN is part of the records.

I know it is possible that the lawyers could have messed that up, but from what delta18 said, it seems reasonable.

delta18

TDI
I know this does not help the American owners of Canadian cars, but it should (in my opinion) be good news for Canadians with American cars. They should be able to collect on the American Dieselgate Payout. (TM to come)
The VIN is part of the records.

I know it is possible that the lawyers could have messed that up, but from what delta18 said, it seems reasonable.
In theory yes except that if they are being sticklers for the same passage they quoted me saying my car is not eligible this line might not make that possible.

[QUOTE =] (2) registered with a state Department of Motor Vehicles or equivalent agency or held by bill of sale by a non-Volkswagen Dealer in the United States or its territories as of June 28, 2016;[/QUOTE]

This is why I worry that even though they are telling me to wait for the Canadian settlement that just like with the Goodwill program anyone with an imported car is screwed.

chadbag

Veteran Member
TDI
2x 2013 JSW (1 manual BOUGHT BACK 12/20/16, 1 DSG BOUGHT BACK 1/14/17), Audi A3 e-tron gas-plugin-hybrid, gas Volvo V60
In theory yes except that if they are being sticklers for the same passage they quoted me saying my car is not eligible this line might not make that possible.

(2) registered with a state Department of Motor Vehicles or equivalent agency or held by bill of sale by a non-Volkswagen Dealer in the United States or its territories as of June 28, 2016;

This is why I worry that even though they are telling me to wait for the Canadian settlement that just like with the Goodwill program anyone with an imported car is screwed.

"State Department of Motor Vehicles or Equivalent Agency." I would think a provincial motor vehicle department is an "Equivalent Agency."

delta18

TDI
"State Department of Motor Vehicles or Equivalent Agency." I would think a provincial motor vehicle department is an "Equivalent Agency."
Possibly. I would be curious to hear from someone with US VW that was imported to Canada and what answer they have gotten from VW.

I might post this very question over in the Canadian forum to see if anyone there is in this situation and can provide any insight.

Airpizz6

Veteran Member
TDI
Now TDI-free, but there now is a 15 MB E250 BT in the driveway
Justin Bieber first!!!
Thank God there is only one Justin Bieber to deport. The real curse dropped on us from our friends to the north is the disgusting Canada goose. Responsible for more waste and pollution than any number of VWs.

sbt007

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
Same thing happened to me. 2014 Passat TDI purchased in Ontario, moved to California for work 2015. Imported the Passat, registered in CA. Using the letter provided by VWoA, I might add. In August, they said anyone registered here is covered. Now the lawyers are reading the fine print and saying no.
According to them, I should wait for the Canadian settlement. That seems dicey. The class action lawsuit seems to say "residents of any province"? And even if the car was eligible, will they import it back?

Another update. Doesn't look good.

So Despite being told on two different occasions by people working at the VW customer care TDI line that my car would be eligible because it was registered in the US. Today when I spoke to them they had changed their tune.

Now I have been told that no in fact that is incorrect my car is not eligible because it was not sold in the US and that I would have to contact VW Canada for their settlement.

Which is a bit of a joke because VW Canada does not have even a settlement proposal on the table yet.

My concern here is that I will be stuck in the same situation I was with the Goodwill package (only worse) where VWoA told me I wasn't eligible because my car was purchased in Canada and VWoC told me I wasn't eligible because my car was registered in the US.

Is there anyone on here with a TDI originally purchased in the US but registered in Canada who can let me know what you are going through? It seems like the reason they say my car isn't eligible is on page 8 of their settlement document and if you read that section then anyone with a car not registered in the US is also not eligible.

I wouldn't worry about this as much and would consider it a way to avoid having to get my car fixed or bought back but I live in CA...

delta18

TDI
For those that care according to the VW lawyers in order for a VW TDI originally purchased in the US to be eligible it would have had to be registered in the US between Sept 18 and June 28th

Rubbertree

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Highline
So according to the "eligibility criteria" the car ...
" must have been registered in Canada at any point from September 18, 2015 through January 4, 2017; "
So from what I can tell...I'm about to get screwed by VW one more time.
Anybody else have thoughts on this?

Fourplay

, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2014 A8L
It may have been answered previously, but did you ever try to submit a claim for the US buyback?

The people answering questions on the help line are generally clueless, so I wouldn't rely on them for anything, especially determining whether or not your car is eligible. I think your car is eligible under the US buyback, as it was registered here in the states during the required time period.

Rubbertree

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Highline
I'll try that when I return from the holidays and see what happens. I really hope that vw will step up by in not holding my breath. Either way I'll keep everyone posted in case you are in similar circumstances. Everyone else in my situation, please keep us informed if anything happens as well.

Rubbertree

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Highline
Just a quick update...
I spoke with the VW settlement hotline and was told that I would be ineligible for the settlement because although the car was registered in Canada in Sept 2015, it was not registered "through" Jan 4 2017.
I'm hoping this is a language barrier thing ...