3.0 liters-should we hear some info by 1-31-17?

zhang1d

TDI
2015 Touareg
2.38. “Eligible Lessee” means (1) the current lessee or lessees of an Eligible Vehicle
with a lease issued by VW Credit, Inc., (Generation One vehicles) or VW Credit, Inc., or Porsche
Financial Services, Inc. (Generation Two vehicles); (2) a lessee or lessees of an Eligible Vehicle
who had an active lease issued by VW Credit, Inc., (Generation One vehicles) or VW Credit,
Inc., or Porsche Financial Services, Inc. (Generation Two vehicles) as of September 18, 2015
and/or November 2, 2015 and who surrendered or surrenders the leased Eligible Vehicle to
Defendants, or otherwise no longer possesses, the Eligible Vehicle, after January 31, 2017, but
before the Claim Submission Deadline; or (3) the owner of an Eligible Vehicle who had an active
lease issued by VW Credit, Inc., (Generation One vehicles) or VW Credit, Inc., or Porsche
Financial Services, Inc. (Generation Two vehicles) as of September 18, 2015 and/or November 2,
2015, and who acquired ownership of the previously leased Eligible Vehicle at the conclusion of
the lease after January 31, 2017.
For avoidance of doubt, no person shall be considered an
Eligible Lessee by virtue of holding a lease issued by a lessor other than VW Credit, Inc., or
Porsche Financial Services, Inc.
2.39. “Eligible Owner” means the owner or owners of an Eligible Vehicle on September
18, 2015, or the owner or owners who acquire an Eligible Vehicle after September 18, 2015, but
before the end of the Settlement Benefit Period, except that the owner of an Eligible Vehicle who
had an active lease issued by VW Credit, Inc., (Generation One vehicles) or VW Credit, Inc., or
Porsche Financial Services, Inc. (Generation Two vehicles) as of September 18, 2015 and/or
November 2, 2015, and purchased that previously leased Eligible Vehicle off lease after January
31, 2017, shall be an Eligible Lessee.
For avoidance of doubt, an Eligible Owner ceases to be an
Eligible Owner if he transfers ownership of the Eligible Vehicle to a third party. A third party
who acquires ownership of an Eligible Vehicle thereby becomes an Eligible Owner if that third
party otherwise meets the definition of an Eligible Owner. An owner of an Eligible Vehicle will
not qualify as an Eligible Owner while the Eligible Vehicle is under lease to any third party,
although any such owner, including any leasing company other than VW Credit, Inc., or Porsche
Financial Services, Inc., who otherwise meets the definition of an Eligible Owner would become
an Eligible Owner if such lease has been canceled or terminated and the owner has taken
possession of the vehicle. In exceptional cases, specific arrangements may be made with the
leasing company, in consultation with the Claims Supervisor, such that, (1) without canceling or
terminating the lease, the leasing company may be treated as an Eligible Owner and obtain (a) an
Emissions Compliant Repair plus Lessee Repair Payment or (b) a Reduced Emissions
Modification plus Owner Restitution, as appropriate, and (2) a lessor that takes possession of a
leased Eligible Vehicle after the Claim Submission Deadline...
Thank you sir. So I guess my statement (assumption) is right? The Off-Lease Owners (those who lease the car before Jan 31, 2017 and buy the car after the lease ends) are only considered as eligible lessee and can only get $2,000, but if they transfer the title of the car to their family/friend, then their family/friend will be considered as eligible owner and get the full compensation minus the $2,000.

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
So if you purchase the car after the lease is up and transfer it to your wife's name she should be eligible for the money. Would she have to pay taxes on the vehicle? Or will the DMV let you transfer it to a spouse without your name on the title without paying taxes on it?

Michael A

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Touareg TDI Executive
So if you purchase the car after the lease is up and transfer it to your wife's name she should be eligible for the money. Would she have to pay taxes on the vehicle? Or will the DMV let you transfer it to a spouse without your name on the title without paying taxes on it?
If you purchase a vehicle from the leasing company the buy out or purchase price will be taxed or should I say tax will be part of the buy out amount.

Then technically if you sell the car to anyone else your the new owner is supposed to pay tax on the purchase amount. In NY we have the option of indicating it is gift and no money collected.

843tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Audi A3 Premium Plus, 2015 Passat SE Tdi
Can someone let me know if below is correct?
If I lease my TDI 3.0 from April 2015 to April 2018, and retain my ownership from April 2018, I will be eligible lessee and receive $2,000.
And then I transfer the title to my wife at May 2018, and my wife will become an eligible owner, and receive $6,000 ($8,000 - $2,000).
Is this correct?? Thanks!!!
I have not read through the whole 3.0l settlement but I'm pretty sure no this would not go down this way. VW only hands out money after an action is satisfied. So the only way to collect money as an eligible lessee is to have an emission modification done which at the point no one else would be able to collect any money on the vehicle or a early lessee termination at which point you would no longer have the vehicle and could no longer sell it to your wife. You will not be able to sell it her in April 2018 and claim as a former lessee either as the deadline to register for that is May of this year. I would either sell her the car now and let her register it or sell it to her in April 2018 and let her register it in the portal and just let her claim the full payment the money is the same amount if she does it that way as any money paid out to a former owner is deducted from the current owners restitution any way.

vwnewbies

TDI
2016 Touareg Lux
I own a 2016 Touareg Lux and received the flyer in the mail today. I have already registered on the vwsettlement.com to continue to receive information from them. The flyer says that owners and lessees who file a claim will be eligible to receive part of their payment right away, without having to wait for the Emissions Compliant Repair to become available. Does anyone know where I can find a claim form on the vwsettlement.com site? I'm confused as to what I should be doing and don't want to be left out of any potential settlement or buyback.

Shuiqlazam

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta - Blue, 2004 Passat - Black, 2010 Touareg Grey
got my mailer today

Got my mailer today - registered the vehicle. I own a Gen 1 Treg and in the settlement they make not statement anymore about "getting into partial compliance" as an option. I.e. it looks Like Gen 1 option is buyback or keep it as it is and get nothing.

I'm going the route of buyback. I hope we can get this badboy traded in on May 2, 2017. I'll give VW 1 day to get their stuff together.

Shui

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
I don't believe the final approval hearing is until May 11, and in any event expecting to sell the car back the next day isn't at all realistic. Consider yourself lucky if you can sell it back in early June. Approval of the 2-liter settlement was on 10/25, and the first buybacks under that program were in late November--and the 3-liter settlement gives VW a little more flexibility on the timelines than did the 2-liter settlement.

Skeptic

TDI
Touareg
I'm new to the forum and am hoping y'all can help clarify my confusion about the settlement process. I"m sure the answer is already in one of these threads, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for.

I've got a 3.0 Gen 1 Touareg and I've registered on the settlement site. I received the flyer in the mail a couple of weeks ago, which directs you to take the following steps:
1. Go to the website for info and registration
2. Select Preferred option, file claim, & schedule appt
3. Show up to appt.

I'm not seeing anything on the site that would address #2. The flyer doesn't say anything about waiting for notification or that this step isn't yet available, but I'm guessing this is just an oversight and I'm good to go for the time being.

Can anyone confirm that selecting your option and filing the claim is not something that can be done at this point in time? Thanks!

(I'm already getting screwed on mileage, so I want to get this done as early as possible before I rack up a lot of additional miles.)

Sailj22

TDI
2009 TDI Silver
There won't be a #2 or #3 until final approval of settlement in May. Right now it is only registering so they have your data and can communicate with you.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
...and really, there's only part of #1. You don't have the ability to register on the claims portal at all at this point, just to give your VIN and contact information to (in theory) receive further communication from VW/Audi as things progress.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
3.0 owners you need to get ready for the long haul on your buybacks. You make out like a bandit but they make you wait for it. Go read the 2.0 thread to read about people waiting. You wait every step of the way. About a month if you're lucky and many people waited more. Even once you finally get a formal offer letter (after multiple rounds of notarized document uploads) you probably have another month until you actually get a buyback appointment.

Prepare to wait patiently now. Or prepare for a long year of frustration.

I guess I should go register our new T3.

Skeptic

TDI
Touareg
...and really, there's only part of #1. You don't have the ability to register on the claims portal at all at this point, just to give your VIN and contact information to (in theory) receive further communication from VW/Audi as things progress.
Good to know I'm not that out of sync with the process. That gives me some time to start exploring around the forum and learning from the 2.0 experiences.

Skeptic

TDI
Touareg
3.0 owners you need to get ready for the long haul on your buybacks. You make out like a bandit but they make you wait for it. Go read the 2.0 thread to read about people waiting. You wait every step of the way. About a month if you're lucky and many people waited more. Even once you finally get a formal offer letter (after multiple rounds of notarized document uploads) you probably have another month until you actually get a buyback appointment.

Prepare to wait patiently now. Or prepare for a long year of frustration.

I guess I should go register our new T3.
In that case, I'll postpone my car shopping plans by a bit. I've got to get back up to speed on what the market looks like, but I was definitely getting too far ahead of the timeline.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
About a month if you're lucky and many people waited more.
...and a good many people, especially recently, have waited less. But per the timelines in the 2-liter settlement, they have a month from the time you submit a claim to the time they provide you an offer letter. IIRC, the timelines in the 3-liter settlement give them a little more time, at least if there's a loan on the car.

Even once you finally get a formal offer letter (after multiple rounds of notarized document uploads) you probably have another month until you actually get a buyback appointment.
If you've gone through "multiple rounds of notarized document uploads", you're doing something very wrong. But last time I looked around me, buyback appointments are 6-8 weeks out.

vwnewbies

TDI
2016 Touareg Lux
We just sold our 2016 Touareg this week. Was the first and will be the last VW TDI we will own. We had registered on the vwcourtsettlement.com website in February as an owner of the vehicle. Does anyone know if there's anything we need to do since we are no longer owners of the vehicle. As I understand it, I don't believe we would be eligible for any payout, if there is any, from VWAG since we sold the vehicle between January 31, 2017 - April 14 2017. However, our Volkswagen dealer has told us that we would still be eligible for a payout if there is one--that we would get half of the payout for the vehicle. Does anyone know if that is true and if we should do anything more. We aren't sure if the VW dealerships in the Metro KC MO area really know what is going on with the payouts.

Dr Chill

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 A8L TDI
We just sold our 2016 Touareg this week. Was the first and will be the last VW TDI we will own. We had registered on the vwcourtsettlement.com website in February as an owner of the vehicle. Does anyone know if there's anything we need to do since we are no longer owners of the vehicle. As I understand it, I don't believe we would be eligible for any payout, if there is any, from VWAG since we sold the vehicle between January 31, 2017 - April 14 2017. However, our Volkswagen dealer has told us that we would still be eligible for a payout if there is one--that we would get half of the payout for the vehicle. Does anyone know if that is true and if we should do anything more. We aren't sure if the VW dealerships in the Metro KC MO area really know what is going on with the payouts.

"Nearly everyone who owned or leased any of these vehicles on September 18, 2015 (the date the emissions
allegations first became public) or November 2, 2015 (the date the allegations specific to the 3.0-liter vehicles
became public) and anyone who currently owns or leases one is a member of the 3.0-liter Class Action
Settlement Class, unless your vehicle does not meet the requirements to be considered an “Eligible Vehicle”
under the Settlement. If, however, you sell your car after January 31, 2017 (the date the 3.0-liter Class Action
Settlement and FTC Settlement were filed), you will not receive any benefits."

All I can say is why would you throw money away and not just keep your car a little longer? The settlement pretty much spells out you won't get a penny.

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0

You could have gotten a nice (around $10K) check from VW. But you sold AFTeR Jan 31st 2017 so you are getting $0.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
First off, what was wrong with it and why will it be the "last VW TDI you will own"?

Secondly, you get nothing as you sold after 1/31/17.

Thirdly, why not ask before you sold?

Fourthly, had you held on to it you would have been eligible for some $.

Fifth, VW dealerships DON'T know whats going on. If you sold it to a dealership, they will get some compensation for it from VW when it's repaired and resold...hope you factored that in.

Lastly, do you mind sharing what model you owned and what you sold it for.

TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI Prestige
Here's what I'm confused on: if you sell your vehicle after 4/14 but before the 5/11 deadline do you get anything? The information is conflicting. The settlement website says you are in the settlement but don't get settlement benefits but the settlement specifics doesn't state that. Bosch's is even more confusing.

I'm thinking maybe I should reach out to claims adminstrator for clarification

az7000'

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI (gone), 2014 Passat TDI (gone), 2014 Touareg TDI (Amazing!)
So today is the last day to register as a previous owner with 3.0's? It would be sweet if we got our actual restitution amounts as they will probably be figured by VIN as of the court date in a few weeks?

I think the fit payment for us will be $4000 or $8000ish. Bosch as $750 or $1500? I hope they didn't register!

tydaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2003 GLI, 2003 TDI Wagon, 2010 TDI Sportwagen, 2010 Touareg v6TDI, 2005 TDI Wagon, current - 2006 v10TDI
C'mon 5/11. Show me the money!!

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
We should be able to upload the claim files right after the Thursday court hearing.

The infrastructure is already there, the personnel are already there. As far as I know the ambassadors are not that busy right now, at least not as busy as during the beginning of the year.

The 3.0L program should roll out pretty quickly. There is no reason to expect otherwise.

McFuzz

TDI
A6 TDI
Claim files? Where do you submit/file those? All I had so far was an email from Audi to register (which I did back in February) and one from Bosch...

tydaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2003 GLI, 2003 TDI Wagon, 2010 TDI Sportwagen, 2010 Touareg v6TDI, 2005 TDI Wagon, current - 2006 v10TDI
yeah... VIN is not covered yet; I guess we gotta wait till the 11th!
Yea. I haven't gotten any info other than an email after registering. I've called and was told I'll receive info after the 11th.

Anyone familiar with the 2.0 process know exactly what documents they will need?

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
Anyone familiar with the 2.0 process know exactly what documents they will need?
Registration. ID for all registered owners. If the car's owned outright, the title. If there's a loan, a consent form to contact your bank and get payoff information. That's all I remember.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
We should be able to upload the claim files right after the Thursday court hearing.

The infrastructure is already there, the personnel are already there. As far as I know the ambassadors are not that busy right now, at least not as busy as during the beginning of the year.

The 3.0L program should roll out pretty quickly. There is no reason to expect otherwise.
Willing to make a wager on this one?

Although I do agree that it should be this way, I am hesitant to believe that it will be this smooth.

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
Willing to make a wager on this one?
Although I do agree that it should be this way, I am hesitant to believe that it will be this smooth.
Give me a reason it'll not be this way. If not, it's probably not because of logistics(lack of), but VW wanting to keep their cash reserve for as long as possible. But they want to get this over ASAP right?