Just picked up a 2002 Forester 5-speed for the wife

thechoochlyman

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1997 B4 Sedan
Came across the car on Craigslist as a "mechanic special" in Cincinnati, 180 miles from where I live. I just so happened to see the ad the very day we were set to leave for Pittsburgh, and since we had to drive through Cincy anyway, I decided to check it out. It was giving a trouble code for a bad knock sensor, and two engine misfire codes. The owners claimed it had a clutch problem and wanted to die while idling. I test drove it, no problems at all. Gave them a $200 deposit through Pay-Pal. I finally got around to driving up to get it yesterday, with a mechanic friend of mine. Gave him the other $1800 I owed him, swapped out the knock sensor in under 10 minutes, and fired it up. Had a really terrible miss, turns out the coil pack wanted to malfunction when it was warm outside, and was only hitting on two cylinders. I called a couple of parts stores, got the new coil pack for $100, swapped it on, and got all the way home with it with no issues. The car has 133k miles with no shakes, noises, or leaks, and tires with 75% tread. The repair shop quoted them about $800 to fix what I took care of with $120 and 20 minutes of work.

I have a list of minor things to take care of (the greatest of which is a P0420/Catalytic Converter high output), but aside from that I'd feel safe driving it anywhere. Now to get my wife learned on it! :cool:

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Yeah,that P0420 is a common code-son has it on the 98 Legacy wagon. I think it's one of the O2 sensors, some people use spark plug non-foulers to help clear code. He's been driving it like this since we bought the car 5 years ago, code stays off long enough to pass inspection. Head gaskets common problem, and any info when the timing belt was last done? Looks like you got a good deal,especially if the tb and head gaskets have been done.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
My brother has 2 Subaru's both have nearly 300k miles on them. I've not changed a timing belt on one yet but it looks like I may get my chance. He's tired of paying someone big bucks for doing it and we've talked about it, he has a belt change coming up.

Nice find, and a 5 speed too. Makes it even better when you can solve what seemed a major problem before you even get it home.

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
PO420 on a Subaru is quite common. Subaru had a reflash on some models to make the ECU a little less jumpy, to some effect. If you do put on cats, do no make the mistake of aftermarket ones, they do not work! (not only on Subaru)

I have seen good results with the rear O2 spaced out of the airstream a little.

I have measured up a couple of Subarus for potential TDI swaps, but the hood height is prohibitive.

thechoochlyman

TDI
1997 B4 Sedan
Yeah, I'm probably gonna put some spark plugs defoulers between the O2 sensor and the exhaust bung. Also, from the power and mileage I've been getting, I'd say the cat is probably clogged up pretty badly already. No telling how long the car was run only firing on two cylinders. Plus, for some reason, the engine oil was 1.5 quarts high! I've already taken it out, but that could have also damaged the cat.

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
Put the defouler only on the rear o2. Cat plugging is rare, check exhaust pressures to be sure. More likely causes of power and mileage issues are the MAF, or the air fuel ratio sensor. (front O2).

These things do not get the stellar mileage you come to expect after owning a TDI. Somewhere in the 20's is acceptable, and torque is not their strength either. They are pretty tough cars however outside of the engine, which likes to eat headgaskets, although later ones like this are usually external leakage at least.

thechoochlyman

TDI
1997 B4 Sedan
Put the defouler only on the rear o2. Cat plugging is rare, check exhaust pressures to be sure. More likely causes of power and mileage issues are the MAF, or the air fuel ratio sensor. (front O2).

These things do not get the stellar mileage you come to expect after owning a TDI. Somewhere in the 20's is acceptable, and torque is not their strength either. They are pretty tough cars however outside of the engine, which likes to eat headgaskets, although later ones like this are usually external leakage at least.
Right, the MAF is on my list of things to check out. Does this car happen to have an EGR as well?

So far I've gotten a bit over 200 miles on slightly less than 1/2 tank, so I think I'm probably good for now. I do want to try to defouler on the rear O2 just to get ride of the code.

...Head gaskets common problem, and any info when the timing belt was last done? Looks like you got a good deal,especially if the tb and head gaskets have been done.
Don't think the HGs have been changed, but the engine shows no signs of trouble as of yet (milky oil, coolant seepage, etc). The TB was supposedly changed not too long ago, and I'm expecting to get a full maintenance transcript in the mail soon. Won't stop me from removing the inspection cover for a look, though.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
The 2.2 we have gets 25-28mpg consistently, not sure what the 2.5 gets. My son's '10 WRX gets in the low 20's,but needs premium gas.