iRev for iPhone/iPod Touch Review (video)

daniel_mad

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 VW Golf TDI 127hp
Well, it finally came in, my OBD II module. On this thread i intend to make a full review on the iRev Software for iphone/ipod touch. For those of you who do not know what it is, hit up www.devtoaster.com and there's tons of info there, so i'm not rewritting it all. Basically, it's an app for the iPhone/iPod that resembles the scangauge II except it shows other gauges and measurements as well as allows for data-logging, so you can review the data from your runs without having to stare down at your gauges. I'll be updating this thread more and more, as i do more video reviews. But for now, here's an unboxing video, i'm just editing the setup video and then the final review video will come along.

PXL ODBII mobule Unboxing Video!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8kOwYEUhwY

(i wish we could embed videos into the forums)

Last edited:

daniel_mad

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 VW Golf TDI 127hp
A quick video on how to install iRev on iphone, using PLX Kiwi Wifi module.

There's a part in the video in which the IP needs to be configured. I left that out because it took me about 5 minutes to figure it out:S But all you need to do is setup the IP address for the PLX module inside the iRev settings. Just think of the module as a small internet router, because that's basically what it is, except it supplies ECU data and not a connection to the internet.

PXL and iRev installation/setup video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjM5eeBeVv4

Last edited:

daniel_mad

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 VW Golf TDI 127hp
If there are any questions, or any other videos you'd guys would like me to answer on this, i will be placing the answers here in post #4, with video if need be. Take it easy! Ciao

caloony

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf TDI GLS
Looks like a neat little tool to have...the revs comparison in your video was pretty damn accurate. Im thinking of buying an ipod touch just for this app...lol

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
NICE!!! If I didn't have a SGII already, I'd be all over this. Awesome! I guess I'm most curious about the logging really. Like if you log boost, does it also show boost requested vs actual? If it only shows what you ran, it's not much help IMO. Very cool toy nonetheless!

daniel_mad

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 VW Golf TDI 127hp
it shows actual only with correction for barometric pressure already calculated, but they're working on more measurement metrics for the 2.0 update, which comes with the ability to custom scaling for each measurement, so my RPM gauge will read the same 5500 as the one on my dash.

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
I'd love to know if it will show tranny temp on automatic trans cars (like the Scan gauge can do in a round about way so I hear) and also if there is anyway to get values from the passat B5.5 stock EGT probe.

lkchris

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 New Beetle
Too bad the software developer is less than forthcoming regarding "clearing codes."

As with anything else, a code can only be cleared if the problem no longer exists. Otherwise, it's coming back.

alnmike

Veteran Member
TDI
Can you show boost and EGT in the same window? Getting this would pay for itself instead of getting gauges. Wonder if it works with the Android.

daniel_mad

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 VW Golf TDI 127hp
yea, you can show boost and EGT in one window, it graphs it on a line graph.

I'm waiting for the 2.0 software release from DevToaster, i've been talking close to them, and they asked me to wait, for a few bugs the software has are being resolved, so it saves me time from posting a video twice.

alnmike

Veteran Member
TDI
I want gauges lol, I dont trust myself to read a moving graph for values while going full out up a hill.

daniel_mad

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 VW Golf TDI 127hp
alnmike said:
I want gauges lol, I dont trust myself to read a moving graph for values while going full out up a hill.
Well, at the moment, the iphone software can only display 1 gauge at a time due to it's screen size(it also allows the zooming into that single gauge so you can see the numbers bigger). If you had more than 1 gauge on the iphone, they'd be pretty small, and you'd pretty much have to stare at the phone, which doesn't result if very safe driving.

fitzski

Veteran Member
TDI
Uh... hmm... Well, none...
Have to wait and see what DashCommand ends up looking like:

alnmike

Veteran Member
TDI
The benefit of a gauge is the needle. If its pegged on EGT, you pretty much know thats bad without having to look at it for a split second. The graph that I played with in Rev-lite scaled, so was hard to figure (used the acceleration, dont have the cable).
The dash command looks nice, though cant find any info on what 'coming soon' means. The two gauges look to be about the size of my fuel gauge which is plenty.

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
I don't know, it says "fuel consumption may be inaccurate in some diesel vehicles." Reading the FAQ, it says that it's also quite the battery drainer and recommends using a charging port while using the software.

I'm not seeing anything here that Vag-Com nor ScanGauge do. Am I missing something?

It's $40.00 on the App store.

Let's see...

Vag-Com $250-350
Scan Gauge $170
iPhone $200 (+$40 for the App.) = $240
Ipod Touch $230 (+$40 for the App.) = $270

I'm not seeing a financial benefit in this. Seems like an expensive toy.

It does about half what a Vag-Com will do in that it will have zero access to VW specific controllers. (IE will it do IP timing? Will it code key fobs? Will it read ABS and SRS faults?)

It has an edge over ScanGauge because it maps and logs, but you would have to drive around holding your iPhone and staring at it.

I think if you have an 05 or newer VW (can-bus) AND you already owned an iPhone or iPod touch then, yeah it's a $40 toy no biggie. But otherwise, I don't think so.

I don't see this as an adequate replacement for a Vag-Com.

It DOES do the "gee whiz" factor quite well though, doesn't it?

On a side note, however, I wonder how much longer it will be before a fully fundtional scaner software will be availablle for the Mac Platform now? These guys are getting close.

(Are you listening Uwe? LOL)

Ookpic

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 2Dr 5spd
FL2AK-tdi said:
Let's see...

Vag-Com $250-350
Scan Gauge $170
iPhone $200 (+$40 for the App.) = $240
Ipod Touch $230 (+$40 for the App.) = $270
Don't forget the $150 for the wifi OBDII sender you have to plug in for the app to even work.

FL2AK-tdi said:
Seems like an expensive toy.
Yup, that's about it. But what a cool toy!!!

FL2AK-tdi said:
I'm not seeing anything here that Vag-Com nor ScanGauge do. Am I missing something?
Graphical representation. Would be cool if VCDS had a front end that could be loaded on the laptop to display graphical gauges.

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
Ookpic said:
Don't forget the $150 for the wifi OBDII sender you have to plug in for the app to even work.
Well that just killed it right there. I had overlooked that. Since my post, I had realized that, for most car owners, ie GM and Ford owners, who ALREADY owned an iPhone, this would be great for dealing with those annoying check engine lights, but, when one adds that additional $150 to the bill, never mind, I'll buy an Actron scanner.

egibbys

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Jetta TDI GLS
daniel_mad said:
I'm waiting for the 2.0 software release from DevToaster, i've been talking close to them, and they asked me to wait, for a few bugs the software has are being resolved, so it saves me time from posting a video twice.
When is the 2.0 update being released?

daniel_mad

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 VW Golf TDI 127hp
egibbys said:
When is the 2.0 update being released?
It's just been released, I'm testing it right now, and i'll give out a review in the next couple of weeks.