What could go wrong? Advice, pls?

stixnskis

TDI
Audi A3 2011
I have had my 2011 A3 for three months now. Purchased with 36,000 miles. Am up to nearly 39,000 at this point. Yes, new about emissions situation- thought this would be my chance to try a nicer car than I had ever had, with great gas mileage, and a body style I love. And have a buyer in a few years.

What could go wrong?

Last week I noticed reduced power on acceleration, just 1/4 mile from home, looked at dash to see flashing glow plug. Got home, jumped on TDI club forum (where I lurked endlessly when buying the car), decided to test brake lights. Car started, kids confirmed brake lights functioning, but with driver door open I could hear roughness from engine, a cyclical possibly metal on metal noise. When spouse got home, went to show him, car cranks normally but won't fire.

Friend tries to read codes with what seemed like a good scanner (no, not a VCDS)- no codes. He checked timing belt, it was fine. Didn't see anything else amiss, but did think fuel wasn't pressurized as it should be. Only German repair shop in town recommends I get it towed to dealer- 100 miles away. Next nearest town with German or diesel specialty is 60 miles.

Audi dealer confirms car is covered for HPFP to 120,000 miles. Joined AAA so that I can have it towed that far (in a few days).

So, finally, question. Is it worth getting it to dealer in case it is HPFP, without knowing for sure? What are odds... I am sure it could be many other things, but my story reads like every story in the HPFP thread. As a total car novice, can I get to the top of the HPFP to look for the metal?

Thanks very much for opinion!!
Sarah

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
On the VW's there is a screen/plug that can be removed to check for shavings. You will have to read through/search the threads for how to do it though as I don't have it at my fingertips. Metal in the fuel filter may be observed as well.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Sounds like a unique situation. You might try looking hard for a local mechanic that understands TDIs vs towing to an unknown 100 miles away.
Or get that code read and try a little self diagnosis. It could be as simple as a loose hose.

miningman

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
Somebody else better chime in here. Sure this vehicle is well under the 120,000 mile warranty, but is there a time limit as well?? How many years???

stixnskis

TDI
Audi A3 2011
Thanks for the thoughts, everyone.

The only independent mechanic recommended in the area who services TDI's has now also told me to tow to the Audi dealer. And, he doesn't own a VCDS (!!!).

I may spend 10 minutes calling every garage in town looking for that one tech who geeks out on TDI's (who very well may not exist), but at this point I suspect my car will be visiting the Audi dealer.

Searched as well as I could through how to's and stickies and can't find directions to check the top of the HPFP myself....

And, have verbal confirmation from two Audi rep's that the car is def. covered for HPFP failure (10year/ 120,000 miles). No mention of bad fuel or any other dis-qualifiers.

At least they can (hopefully) diagnose quickly at the dealership?

stixnskis

TDI
Audi A3 2011
Update: Was HPFP! Audi dealer replaced whole fuel system, no questions asked, and car is ready to pick up 5 days later.

Now, can anyone give me a ride ;) ?