www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Eastern USA

Eastern USA Local discussions for those in the Eastern USA. (Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Maine, Washington, DC. New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia)

Old November 22nd, 2011, 07:56   #1
Lex4TDI4Life
Veteran Member

Default How Hot are TDIs? The Stealership Wants to Buy Mine!

Nothing unusual there, but I cant believe they want an 11-year old car with almost 250K miles on it. Apparently TDIs are on their "hot list" and they want to offer me a premium over "Magnum Auction" price. Even if I were to sell, I could probably do better than an auction. Sigh...

My response? "From my cold, dead hands!" This car will not leave my possession until it gets wrecked or until it becomes far more to maintain than to take on a car loan.

But, it's nice to know she is still wanted
RC2, Bosch T4-764 injectors, OMI, SBC Stg 2 Clutch, Koni FSDs, TT LCA Bushings, The Mystery Bar, Dieselgeek Panzer Plate, Elephant Hose, DG Race Pipe, Autometer Cobalt Boost Gauge, Boostvalve,Fumoto Valve, Mufflerectomy, Scangauge II
Lex4TDI4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2011, 08:25   #2
johnboy00
Veteran Member

Did you get a letter in the mail, or an actual offer after visiting them?

I think the letter is just a way to entice you into the showroom. No dealer is going to put an 11 yr old car on their lot unless it's got only 40,000 miles on it and looks brand new. Even then they might pass.

VW marketing just made you feel good about your car .... a portion of their mission has been accomplished!
2003 IBW
1999.9 Golf (for parts)
johnboy00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2011, 08:28   #3
Lex4TDI4Life
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboy00 View Post
Did you get a letter in the mail, or an actual offer after visiting them?

I think the letter is just a way to entice you into the showroom. No dealer is going to put an 11 yr old car on their lot unless it's got only 40,000 miles on it and looks brand new. Even then they might pass.

VW marketing just made you feel good about your car .... a portion of their mission has been accomplished!
Ha! Fair enough. The stealership in question has a particularly nasty reputation and I refuse to deal with them on any level. But yes, it did reinforce my commitment to my current VW. My next one, should it exist, would likely come from Langhorne or another dealership with a willing and eager internet department.
RC2, Bosch T4-764 injectors, OMI, SBC Stg 2 Clutch, Koni FSDs, TT LCA Bushings, The Mystery Bar, Dieselgeek Panzer Plate, Elephant Hose, DG Race Pipe, Autometer Cobalt Boost Gauge, Boostvalve,Fumoto Valve, Mufflerectomy, Scangauge II
Lex4TDI4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2011, 18:24   #4
Lug_Nut
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 116 mpg(e), 36 mpg gas, 100 mpg combined

No, it's not wanted, but their stockpile of cars is even less wanted.
Try to sell yours without taking one of theirs and you'll learn how little it's really worth to them.

Svante Arrhenius 1896

Cogito ergo soy (I think, therefore: Biodiesel)
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2011, 08:48   #5
tdipoet
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 1 Hojillion MPG

i don't know about that. the dealership near me has been selling jettas, passats and beetles like hotcakes. not sure about the SUV stuff though.
tdipoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2011, 06:31   #6
onlyn8v
Veteran Member

Its a rather new marketing trick that all the dealers have been doing in the past few years,

"We are getting such a high demand for your used car (or we have no new cars left) That we are offering you a huge sum of $ if you buy a new car from us!!"

Fakety Fake Fake Fake!!
98 Jetta TDI 5 speed 249k+ (Red) RC3+, Ventectomy, tint, leather interior, Porsche wheels, DRL-less, ported / polished head with matched intake manifold,3" catless exhaust, 2.5" downpipe, PP520, hybrid turbo, FMIC, smoked e-codes, badgeless grille, H&R cup kit
04 Jeep Wrangler 4.0 33K Blue 4" Fabtech lift, MT wheels, 33",Borla, sliders, snorkle, 15mpg
...Other crap Im parting
onlyn8v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2011, 07:08   #7
truman
Veteran Member

We have the lowest prices and will give you more for your trade- bad credit, no credit, upside down- no problem! Car dealers are oxymoronic.
truman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2011, 08:10   #8
Stealth TDI
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Yeah. I visited my local dealer a few years ago and the salesman seems eager to accept it as a trade. "I can sell that for $7000," he said. This was when gas was about $4.50/gal. I've been looking at the GTI and Beetle Turbo. But I recently saw their 0-60 and 1/4-mile times. To my surprise, my TDI is faster by a narrow margin. And, of course, more economical. So I'll hold off on making a new car purchase even longer than I thought.

| .M y . S t a g e . 2 . G T I . |
| Facebook | YouTube | Fuelly |
Stealth TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2011, 08:14   #9
DonL
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45 - 55, mostly around 48

Two techniques have been tried on me. First, "I will give you what you paid for your Jetta as trade in because the TDIs are in such high demand." Sure he will. He will also charge maximum full bore for the new or used gasser you get in exchange. No thanks.

The next one I got yesterday. The Chevrolet/Buick dealer will give me full MSRP for any 2000 or newer vehicle I trade in for a new car at their lot. Pretty good, right? Finally of course there are the usual conditions, such as being in good repair......and subtracting 35 to 75 cents per mile. I have 123,000 miles on my Jetta. That means they will subtract at least $ 43,050 from the about $ 23,000 MSRP when I bought it.

But, whatever gets the suckers onto the lot so they can be convinced life is not worth living without a new car.
DonL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2011, 08:15   #10
40X40
Experienced

Fuel Economy: TBD, new data forthcoming

You are in their records as a TDI owner and were part of a mass mailing to all TDI owners (of record).

I get one every year from every VW dealer I have ever bought a TDI from...

Bill
If you omit pertinent info from your question, you cannot reasonably expect a good answer.//Not affiliated with any vendors except as a customer.// Wise people lurk more.// I'm not a guru.// 'I got actual real friends in the real world'-T'sTDI/ If you were the only entry, there wasn't a race.// Grammar and spelling really are important, but I don't claim to be good at it.// Typical drivers can't.
40X40 is offline   Reply With Quote