2014 Jetta TDI to get IRS

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Tesla Model S85, 2017 Chevy Bolt
Its about time, one of the few reasons I could see for the Jetta Hybrid over the TDI is solved.

RLS1400

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI DSG Prem Nav
I'm wondering if the engine changes coming in late 2014 will include the SCR/urea aftertreatment system that is on the Passat. My guess would be a yes, since the article mentions improved MPG and emissions.

wbclassics

TDI
No TDI - VW Bought it Back (Dec 4th 2017)
I find this infuriating as a relatively new owner (mid-March 2013) of a 2013 TDI Premium. The rear IRS upgrade would have been a major reason for me to wait for the 2014s.

Something very similar happened after I bought my 2002 Jetta 1.8T new, which was the 150hp gas 1.8T. A few months later it gets announced that 2003 and forward models would have an uprated 180hp 1.8T. That difference was substantial enough that I ended up trading the 2002 back in and ordering a 2003.

Last edited:

pdt165

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta 6 speed (Bought Back)
I find this infuriating as a relatively new owner (mid-March 2013) of a 2013 TDI Premium. The rear IRS upgrade would have been a major reason for me to wait for the 2014s.

Something very similar happened after I bought my 2002 Jetta 1.8T new, which was the 150hp gas 1.8T. A few months later it gets announced that 2003 and forward models would have an uprated 180hp 1.8T. That difference was substantial enough that I ended up trading the 2002 back in and ordering a 2003.

All of the reasons you bought your car are still true. You could always get a better one by either spending more money or waiting for more time. But you didnt, no reason to kick yourself for it.

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Independent Rear Suspension.

The current Jetta in TDI form has a rear beam suspension. I think the current Jetta GLI has IRS.

The 2005.5 - 2010 Jettas (prior body style) have IRS.

With IRS in 2014, I would consider upgrading to a 2014. Was holding back due to the suspension, and had on the short list the Passat (but it is a bigger car, the Jetta is just the right size for what I need).

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I was talking with mrchill this morning and said if the Jetta TDI had IRS and the new engine with Urea I'd think about swapping my Golf for one. Maybe that will happen.

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
(Formerly) '11 Jetta 6 speed, Alltrack 6MT

Same thing happened when I got my '01 GLX VR6. Literally a month later I read in a magazine the GLI was coming out with the 24V VR6, 6 speed, and more HP.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
No, but getting rid of the more complex emissions programming and potential for IC icing is a good thing. I don't think any of this will impact HPFP reliability, but I also don't think it's as big an issue as others say.

And I do ask myself why I'd want a Jetta VI when my '97 B4 runs great, gets 48 MPG like clockwork, and is much less fussy about what fuel goes in it.

soot1

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none. Formerly: 2010 VW Jetta TDI 6M, 1993 Dodge Ram W250 Cummins 5M 4WD, 1990 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1986 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1980 VW Uabbit Diesel 4M. Currently driving 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD.
I was talking with mrchill this morning and said if the Jetta TDI had IRS and the new engine with Urea I'd think about swapping my Golf for one. Maybe that will happen.
Pardon my ignorance, but doesn't the 2012 Golf actually have independent rear suspension, as opposed to the 2011+ Jettas? If I'm not mistaken, the Golfs are still made in Wolfsburg, right?

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
Golf

Pardon my ignorance, but doesn't the 2012 Golf actually have independent rear suspension, as opposed to the 2011+ Jettas? If I'm not mistaken, the Golfs are still made in Wolfsburg, right?
No more Wolfsburg Golf or GTI for North America. Production has ended. 2015 Golf and GTI production commences in Puebla, Mexico sometime in first half of 2014.

IRS on current Golf.

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Tesla Model S85, 2017 Chevy Bolt
When I purchased my MKV Jetta TDI they had a 2011 Jetta sitting right beside it on the showroom. Knowing there was no IRS on the 2011 model made my purchase decision easy, I drove home in the MKV.

If I wanted something without IRS I would buy a Mustang.

mhouck

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta, 2010 Jetta
In a larger car, automatic only.
A co-worker has a 6, and its really not any bigger than my TDI. As far as the automatic thing goes, I'd say a vast majority of TDI's and folks interested in this range of cars is probably going that direction.

pdt165

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta 6 speed (Bought Back)
A co-worker has a 6, and its really not any bigger than my TDI. As far as the automatic thing goes, I'd say a vast majority of TDI's and folks interested in this range of cars is probably going that direction.
One big draw for me to VW and the TDI was the fact that it came in a manual. When shopping I went to many different dealers and only came across 2 other manuals out there. ( tried ford, honda, toyota and nissan)

mhouck

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta, 2010 Jetta
One big draw for me to VW and the TDI was the fact that it came in a manual. When shopping I went to many different dealers and only came across 2 other manuals out there. ( tried ford, honda, toyota and nissan)
Oh yea, I definitely understand. Just would have been nice to see a 200 hp TDI :D

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
As far as the automatic thing goes, I'd say a vast majority of TDI's and folks interested in this range of cars is probably going that direction.
Doubtful. You'd be surprised at how many people are buying Passat TDIs with the manual, even though they'd rather not give up the sunroof.

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
(Formerly) '11 Jetta 6 speed, Alltrack 6MT
What year 6? They've grown...

soot1

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none. Formerly: 2010 VW Jetta TDI 6M, 1993 Dodge Ram W250 Cummins 5M 4WD, 1990 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1986 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1980 VW Uabbit Diesel 4M. Currently driving 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
Yes, the Golf has IRS. I think IBW is interested in the new Jetta if it has the urea injection rather than the DPF, etc. In other words he'd make the swap based on the emission controls, not the suspension change.