Swapping a 01 TDi in a 99.5 Jetta 2.0L 5sp chasis

johnfm3

TDI
2000 Jetta 2.slow transplant
And so starts my TDi swap project long in the waiting.

I have a beautiful black 99.5 MK4 Jetta 2.0L 5sp with black and tan leather interior which has not been on the road for several years due to a wiring issue caused by coolant migration (where the wiring harness sucks up the coolant via the coolant sensor plug).

The donor car is a 2001 (Nov 01) MK4 Jetta with a TDi and 5sp. Wrecked head on. Not salvageable.

Both cars have the same accessories package.

This week I started the work on this. As of today, I have the 2.slow and 5sp removed and the TDi and 5sp (with a single mass flywheel) installed in the 99.5 chassis. And I starting to dig into the donor car and pulling electrical from the engine compartment. I am hoping to have the fuel tank and exhaust system removed from the donor car this weekend and installed in the 99.5 as well.

I was under the impression (wrongfully) that the MK4 harness was one solid piece from head light to tail light until today when I started digging into the donor car.

So digging into this, I am wandering why do I need to replace the entire harness if it is modular? Is it possible to leave the harness going to the rear section of the car alone? Are there any good pin outs to determine if I can just move pins around in my 99.5 harness to match the 2001?

I have done some looking for threads on this topic, and was more confused than when i began. So I am starting this build thread and asking the questions I have. Biggest problem I am running into is many of the build threads are older and pic's have been removed.

Hopefully I can get thru this to the end with a running car that I can be happy with.

Thanks for the help and support in advance,
John