Mass air flow sensor removal

RedTDIowner

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi A6 3.0 TDI
Anyone know what type of bit I need to remove it? My torx set does not have the right one. Here is a pic of the screws I need to remove. My T25 is the closest fit but still won't work.

mr.loops

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta, 2003 Bora 1.8T
You’ll need to get a security torx bit ( has a hole in the middle).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mk116v

TDI
2001 jetta tdi
A nice big pair of pliers or vice grips work also. Clearly, you'll have to install new screws after. Preferably a standard torx or Philips.

RedTDIowner

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi A6 3.0 TDI
Why do you want to remove it? When you buy a replace it comes as an assembly.
My daughters Lexus is throwing a code and so I bought a can of mass air flow sensor cleaner to hopefully eliminate the code on her car and then I got to thinking that maybe I should also clean mine since I bought it several years ago and the can says to clean the MAF sensor every time you change the air filter.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
The people that sell MAF cleaner are inclined to put that on the side of the can of MAF cleaner. ;)

The truth is that they are not the traditional hot-wire style but rather hot film, with much closer tolerances... and very tricky to clean without making them worse.

I personally would only clean one as a very-last-ditch effort, with the full expectation that I'm gonna end up buying one anyways. Certainly wouldn't do it as preventative maintenance. Just my opinion, of course.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
To the OP:

those screws are Tamper Proof Torx Plus

Torx: 6 points, no pin

Torx Plus: 6 rounded points, no pin

Tamper Proof Torx: 6 points with a pin

Tamper Proof Torx Plus: 5 rounded points with a pin

Hope this helps anyone wanting to know the proper terminology.

I have a set of these TPTP bits, but honestly the only thing I can recall ever using them on is Bosch MAFs, so I think I only ever use the one size. :eek:

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
Cut a slot with a Dremel tool and use a screw driver.

workinman

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta 2001 Jetta 95 Dodge diesel 4x4
My daughters Lexus is throwing a code and so I bought a can of mass air flow sensor cleaner to hopefully eliminate the code on her car and then I got to thinking that maybe I should also clean mine since I bought it several years ago and the can says to clean the MAF sensor every time you change the air filter.
I only repeating what I have seen and heard on U tube , there is several and the one I watched lately I Scanner Danner, a smart guy to say the least , he teaches at a collage and also does trouble shooting for shop including dealers on electrical systems. Pretty interesting and very helpful . He uses scopes , meters , test lights ect to see what the problem is not a parts changer . From what I seen the air mass can get dirty and not meter the air proper and I seen the air mass cleaned and it worked . I want to see if the ground and ref voltage is proper. I not sure how the system works on your application , a wiring diagram might help . I watched Paul and one of his ex students , a master vw tech trouble shoot a TMC module and it was very helpful . It cost nothing for me or very little to watch these guys

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Cleaning a hot wire type MAF is fine, but cleaning a hot film type is not recommended, and you run the risk of ruining it.

Fortunately, the later Bosch hot film MAFs are more robust than the older ones, and do not fail nearly as much, if ever.

alex_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI GLS, 2001, Blue
I sprayed some MAF cleaner on mine. Didn't fix/improve anything. But a new Bosch new style MAF seemed to have solved my low power problem.

If you really want to try the cleaner, I think you can just take off the whole housing. The cleaners usually come with a long straw that should allow you to reach where you want to spray.