Ecodes or HID or other options?

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
There's no such thing as an e code HID. The e code is the layout of the light cutoff. E codes are a great upgrade form stock, me personally I'm going to HIDs. I ordered a set from Midwest Lighting, they showed up Friday. I'll most likely be installing them tomorrow, and I'll upload photos as I go.

As for plastic lense fogging up, there's this UV protectant called 303 aerospace. One application every three months keeps them from yellowing out. I almost went with the glass upgrade, but was worried about breaking. Plastic can be sanded and polished up. Glass you have to replace.

Does this 303 product work on heavily scratched lenses also?

John-TDI

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI
I would recommend VX Tuning i just got my lights in on Friday sadly the install will have to wait till my cluster and keys get back from Matt at Cluster by Litke.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
John, I'm guessing the dual turns option does away with the fog light?

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS Sedan Platinum Gray
I second the recommendation for VXTuning. I have the "bi-xenon" headlights that look to the untrained eye like OEM HID's. The main difference is a bigger projector. They are different than the ones posted above which are the "retrofit" style. However, it looks like they are out of stock. When I purchased them, the options existed for glass or plastic lenses and various VXTuning or Morimoto add-ons, making the kit plug and play. VXTuning is about to release a "quad-xenon" option that replaces the high beams too, so that might be why the "bi-xenon" option is unavailable. They come with leveling motors and wire up to the OEM dimmer/leveling switch easily. I also bought the ECS fog kit but replaced the lights with Morimoto "universal" fogs that temperature-match the VXTuning HID's (they're both 5500K.) You can't tell in the photo though because I put yellow Lamin-X on them. For the fogs, you have to expand the bolt hole in the metal ears of the bumper inserts that come with the kit, but otherwise they fit perfectly. I plan on purchasing the quads from VXTuning as soon as they are released. If you want not just HID's but an OEM HID look, the bi-xenons (if they come back in stock) might be the best option. In some ways, they may even be superior. The projectors are 2.5 inches instead of 1.75 inches on the OEM version.

Last edited:

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
VX Tuning?

Anyone have a good way to contact VX Tuning? I placed an order and received an email saying the order was received. I noticed an error in what PayPal sent them and want to make sure they have the correct info. I sent two attempts to contact using the contact form on the website but they have gone unanswered.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
I have just used the website contact. It works, though those folk sometimes take a little bit.
cheers,
Douglas

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, I sent my THIRD one today using the form so I guess I'll try the sales at vxtuning dot com email next.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, I sent my THIRD one today using the form so I guess I'll try the sales at vxtuning dot com email next.

OK, sent the email last night; based on their track record so far, I'll be surprised if they respond.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
OK, sent the email last night; based on their track record so far, I'll be surprised if they respond.

:eek: I was wrong, as I received an email today. So I suggest not using the web form for contact but rather use the sales email address.

WolfgangVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI - Manual
Do you have a mk4 golf or jetta/bora? The euro golf ones are glass, the bora ones from plastic. With the glass ones we recommend the oem hella, bosch , valeo e-code versions. Combined with some 65w osram bulbs it will outperform any xenon/hid system :)
Just posting again on this thread as it's warmed up and in the next month going to pull my car in the garage and do some work. Frans so i have the 2003 MK4 Jetta. Is there a chance you could post a link to the ecode lights and bulbs you recommended here? Thanks in advance!

And thanks again for all the input from everyone! Any more input is always welcome! Leaning towards ecodes again but always open to suggestions. Not as worried about looks but mainly nighttime performance.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
While e-codes are an improvement over the stock headlights, there's an exponential improvement you get by putting HIDs into good quality built-for-HID projectors.

If you're getting new lights, I'd opt for the latter, particularly for those dark night drives in the Alberta hinterlands.

McGuillicuddy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon (5MT)
While e-codes are an improvement over the stock headlights, there's an exponential improvement you get by putting HIDs into good quality built-for-HID projectors.

If you're getting new lights, I'd opt for the latter, particularly for those dark night drives in the Alberta hinterlands.
Can you recommend any particular setup/vendor? Link would be fantastic.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
You should check out the guy I have in my sig, I'm very happy with them, and they're good enough it convinced my dad to buy a pair as well.

WolfgangVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI - Manual

Hey thanks Nuje. As well can you post a link or options for lights you would recommend? Appreciate you understand the dark night drives in Alberta! Cheers

WolfgangVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI - Manual
You should check out the guy I have in my sig, I'm very happy with them, and they're good enough it convinced my dad to buy a pair as well.
Thanks Nero. And thanks for all the posts on this thread! Can you provide a link to your lights after you installed? I seem to remember you started your own thread after the fact, I just can't find it. As well I can't make the link in your sig work again, most likely my BlackBerry lol. I'll try again when I'm home later on my computer.

As well on a side note is it possible to take the plastic lenses off my current ecodes and replace with glass lenses??

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Here's the link to my thread.

Their website is still working for me. Must be your phone.

As for changing the lense covers, yes you absolutely can do that. It's easier with the headlight off the car, but just heat up the edge of the plastic. That black gooey stuff will soften up, and eventually you'll be able to pull it off. Just glue in new glass covers and call it good.

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
Last weekend, I ordered e-code headlights with glass, from Midwest Lighting. Part of what motivated me to make the purchase was the link in Nero’s signature.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've ordered twice from Midwest, and both times, the lights arrived damaged - Jeff (Midwest guy) said that he has that problem with one of every four sets ("no joke", quoting Jeff) he sends to Canada. And the last set took over six weeks to arrive in Canada.

Personally, I wouldn't get any aftermarket lights you find on eBay or Amazon or whatever - having tried three sets, the projectors in those are garbage. Keep in mind that a good set of projectors alone are like $120, so keep that in mind with the price of the whole light assembly: If the headlights are $150...you're not getting top-quality components.

If I want better lights on my Mk4, I'm building my own.
(Sent you a pm, WolfgangVW)

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've ordered twice from Midwest, and both times, the lights arrived damaged - Jeff (Midwest guy) said that he has that problem with one of every four sets ("no joke", quoting Jeff) he sends to Canada. And the last set took over six weeks to arrive in Canada.

Personally, I wouldn't get any aftermarket lights you find on eBay or Amazon or whatever - having tried three sets, the projectors in those are garbage. Keep in mind that a good set of projectors alone are like $120, so keep that in mind with the price of the whole light assembly: If the headlights are $150...you're not getting top-quality components.

If I want better lights on my Mk4, I'm building my own.
(Sent you a pm, WolfgangVW)

Sounds like you should have taken a road trip to Columbus, OH and got them at the source!

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
romad said:
Sounds like you should have taken a road trip to Columbus, OH and got them at the source!
After getting nailed with over $100 in import duties and taxes, probably would've been cheaper as well as faster. :)

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
After getting nailed with over $100 in import duties and taxes, probably would've been cheaper as well as faster. :)

Yep, you would not have had to pay the duties & taxes on the lights then, especially if you installed them in Columbus! Did you get refunds for the duties/taxes after they arrived broken?

WolfgangVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI - Manual
Here's the link to my thread.
Their website is still working for me. Must be your phone.
As for changing the lense covers, yes you absolutely can do that. It's easier with the headlight off the car, but just heat up the edge of the plastic. That black gooey stuff will soften up, and eventually you'll be able to pull it off. Just glue in new glass covers and call it good.
Awesome thanks! I know this is a bit of a repeat question from me I'm just finally getting to the point to do it now that it's warmer!

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
If you are going to go the projector/HID route, go with a D2S projector, and a quality relay harness and ballast. The VXTuning lights run the excellent FXR projector. WHile mini H1's are small, even a MiniD2S 5.0( or most of its variants ) will fit an e-code halogen light bucket. Only when space is sooooo limited that a D2S projector is out of the question would I consider an H1 family.

Test fit on an e-code assembly. The sealant is removed and there is adequate clearance between the lens and the projector lens. For taking apart these headlights, put the whole light into an oven that has been pre-heated to 240-250F for about 6-7 minutes. Do *NOT* heat the oven with the light inside.
cheers,
Douglas

Last edited:

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Convection oven set to 200F for 8-10 minutes has always worked for me; with convection, there's enough air circulating that I haven't had an issue with too much direct radiant heat.

WolfgangVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI - Manual
If you are going to go the projector/HID route, go with a D2S projector, and a quality relay harness and ballast. The VXTuning lights run the excellent FXR projector. WHile mini H1's are small, even a MiniD2S 5.0( or most of its variants ) will fit an e-code halogen light bucket. Only when space is sooooo limited that a D2S projector is out of the question would I consider an H1 family.

Test fit on an e-code assembly. The sealant is removed and there is adequate clearance between the lens and the projector lens. For taking apart these headlights, put the whole light into an oven that has been pre-heated to 240-250F for about 6-7 minutes. Do *NOT* heat the oven with the light inside.
cheers,
Douglas
Convection oven set to 200F for 8-10 minutes has always worked for me; with convection, there's enough air circulating that I haven't had an issue with too much direct radiant heat.

Thanks for this oven trick info. I watched a video on replacing just the lenses and this was what was done. Good to know thanks!!

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf

cheers,
Douglas
Just as a heads up, from the tangent point of the projector glass to the mounting flange of the D2S is slightly shorter than the counterpart H1. So actually, in a confined space where the headlight lens is compact to the headlight housing, the D2S fits better than the mini H1.

I know I don't have a Jetta, but I've completed 1 DIY for my MKIV Golf using a mini H1 and I'm currently working on my second DIY retrofit using the D2S projector. Golf's are notoriously a bit more tricky for retrofit because of the headlight lens clearance.

V1.0 (Complete): http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=491034
V2.0 (In Work): http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=498130

where2

Veteran Member
TDI
One '13 JSW_TDI & One '04 Variant_TDI
Is it possible to take the plastic lenses off my current ecodes and replace with glass lenses??
The answer to this is: Absolutely! When I got my Ebay knock off E-codes, I dismantled them before they ever went on my Jetta_Wagon, and installed glass lenses. I just used a heat gun to gently warm the housings to separate the lenses from the backs. For those worried about breaking glass lenses, My '80 Scirocco, and '90 Corrado had factory glass lenses, and I never broke one while driving. The LaminX on the glass Jetta lenses is now cloudy after 6+ years... (the Ebay Ecodes have very poor copies of Ecode reflector optics based on the Ecodes I had on the Scirocco and Corrado). I'm looking for upgrades as well, that's why I was reading this thread.

Incidentally, one of the mounting pegs was broken when I received my knock off Ecodes back in 2012, so don't blame the border crossing for breaking the Midwest upgrades. I think it's a shipping thing with these lights in general.