Injector Balance

Rowingfish87

TDI
04 Passat TDI
Having a stumble while the engine is cold and a miss every now and again at idle. No active or logged codes.

Checked injector balance with vcds, #1 is around +2 where #2 3 4 are between -0.80 and -1.05. Injector solenoid value is way off on #1 as well -43 vs - 10 avg on cylinders 2-4. Pulled the valve cover and cam lobes are still in great shape.

Seems like I'll need a new injector for cyl #1 at around $450.

Is there any reputable company who can rebuild this injector? I've seen where karma tdi will "balance" the injectors but was wondering if this one is too far gone to be balanced.

Any other ideas?

Rowingfish87

TDI
04 Passat TDI
I'll check torsion tmrw. What should it be set at?

163000 miles on the car. Intake was cleaned about 15000 miles ago as well as a timing belt and full egr delete. The injectors are all original Bosch injectors with sequential serial numbers. All cam lobes look good to the naked eye (injector and valve lobes). Never hard to start cold or hot.

I unplugged and checked the injector connector while I had the valve cover off and it seemed fine and similarly tight to the other 3 injector connectors.

Last edited:

Rowingfish87

TDI
04 Passat TDI
Torsion was at 0.0. Set it at +1.0 and it helped bring #1 cylinder down to around +1.50. The other 3 cylinders are between -0.12 and -0.80. I will update on the cold miss / stumble at idle tmrw after a cold soak

highmileage

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat bhw tdi (presently), 2001 jetta alh tdi (previously), 1998 jetta ahu tdi (previously)
iNJECTOR REBUILD

I do like QuickTD's response that he has never seen a PD injector fail, as this is what I am driving now. However, I have had two injectors fail in the past, one for the AHU and one for the ALH.

They were rebuilt by a company in Oregon. I believe it was Oregon Fuel Injection in Eugene. I do not know what their current policies are, but IIRC about 5 or 6 years ago I paid about $150.00 each for the rebuilds.

Rowingfish87

TDI
04 Passat TDI
Just an update this issue came back but a little bit worse and only when the engine was up to operating temp. This was accompanied by a p0301 cyl 1 misfire. Checked torsion and it was at 0.5 so I bumped it up to 1.5 to see if it would help, no change. Injector 1 was way off of other 3 cylinders. Ordered a couple injector seal kits & non-stretch hold down bolts. Pulled valve cover, rocker shaft and injector 1&2. Found the bottom oring on injector 1 had some visible wear on it. Resealed both and swapped #1 to #2 and #2 to #1. Put everything back together. Started her up and all injection quantities were hovering right around 0 +/- 0.3. Took for a test drive while watching inj quantities and everything stayed right on the dot. Put another 50 miles on it today and everything is still in spec.

Kravt

TDI
2005 Passat
Rowingfish, would you mind giving an update on this? Did the symptoms come back or are you still cruising along just fine? I am having similar symptoms at 190k.