What did you do to your MKIV today?

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
4 door specific pieces would be from >2003 GLI's
2 door specific pieces can be found in the 20th AE, 337 & R32

Might be a few others, but those are the main ones.

Yes, and I've noticed that not all GLI's have the brushed aluminum trim, but maybe I was looking at some pre-2003 models.
Also, some of the Jetta GLX models have the wood trim, maybe it's related to year, but I've seen some GLX with and some without the wood trim.

You need to upgrade the radio cage, if you want to install the vertical brushed aluminum trim, adjacent to the radio. I have collected the radio cage and radio trim but I'm not quite ready to disassemble the dash.

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS Sedan Platinum Gray
There are a few resellers on eBay that sell whole kits of used GLI interiors, both the brushed aluminum parts and the black fabric parts.

However, it can be pretty challenging finding the brushed aluminum trim pieces in good condition, especially the driver's door handle. It's almost impossible to find one that isn't dinged and dented. It's also pretty hard to find any of the other door handles with good soft touch, so going the brushed aluminum route isn't a good idea if you're trying to restore an interior to like-new. With that said, you can usually find most of the other pieces dent-free.

If budget isn't as big of an issue, you can still find some of the NetOptic trim pieces brand new, though you need to be careful because there are a few different shade of NetOptic and it can be easy to mix and match them. One example would be part numbers ending in VNF. They seem to be somewhat easy to find and are similar in color to the brushed aluminum. The NetOptic pieces maywear better over time since it's a covering on top of a metal surface underneath. If the thought just popped into your mind to buy NetOptic pieces and peel off the coating to get something approximating the brushed aluminum trim pieces, don't bother. The end result is a shiny and cheap looking metal.

There's also a "silver blue metallic" variant, which is a darker non-brushed metal trim. The part numbers end in RBA instead of NPX. I saw a near-mint set on eBay recently, but it was for manual AC controls instead of Climatronic so I didn't buy it. On the Vortex "rare parts" thread, there's someone with a "gunmetal" trim, but I wasn't sure if it was the same as the silver blue metallic.

In all cases, the passenger doors use the same pull handle part number front or back. So, parts from a 2-door will work in a 4-door. That isn't the case, though, for the driver's side since the driver's door handle came in two versions to support 2 or 4 window buttons.

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't know as much about the wood trims, but I think there are at least three, burr walnut, myrtle and black myrtle. There might be others.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
View media item 139403Volkswagen lane... These are some of the daily drivers for my coworkers and I. One of my coworkers just got the white 2009 tdi for $700! Someone thought it had a bad engine, but it was just a bad battery.
Yeah, I realize only one is an mk4, but that's mine. There's another one on the other side of the building too.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Apparently this is one way the bottles fail. Way back in early MKIV days this was a problem with the coolant bottles, and coolant could migrate up the harness and kill the cluster. That's been fixed, but bottles can still release coolant into the connector (which is part of the car) in some situations.
Yep, I had that years ago. Fortunately in my case, it only knocked out the speedo. Soon as I got the car back from getting the cluster's connectors cleaned and the coolant ball replaced, I pulled out and threw away the seal gasket from the connector that goes on the bottle, and did the "weep hole" mod on the bottle (see here). Both together means that if the seal around the terminals does fail again, any leaking coolant will just harmlessly dribble out to the ground instead of going straight up the wires.

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
I don't know as much about the wood trims, but I think there are at least three, burr walnut, myrtle and black myrtle. There might be others.
Yes, it's a never ending "chase" to find the type of trim you want and get the full set. I have plenty of "fair" condition pieces of sets, but not sure I ever had 1 complete set.

For me some of them were functional improvements, the headlight switch and HVAC surround with the contrasting aluminum bits made the areas easier to see in low light, or in bright lights when out of th car and wanting to "make sure" the HL's were off, as my door chime wasn't functioning.

One of the few pieces I never installed and need to find/list for sale is a Passat flat mirror switch that supported folding mirrors.

Here's a sample pic from google

Image would not hot link, bummer

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
Thanks.

My initial post contained the IMG tags to hot link, but it showed as a broken image, so I assumed hot linking was not an option.

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
Re sideview mirror switches, there are also the ones that Matt Litke sells that are "brushed." I think he actually makes them by combining different knobs with different switches:

(His online store goes by ClustersByLitke on Facebook.)

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
Re sideview mirror switches, there are also the ones that Matt Litke sells that are "brushed." I think he actually makes them by combining different knobs with different switches:

(His online store goes by ClustersByLitke on Facebook.)
I was looking at those, yesterday! Which one do you think would be more appropriate in a MK4? The knurling on the Audi knob kinda matches the knurling on the vent dials but I kinda like the look of the MK5/6 knob.

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
I got the Audi one, but it was because it made sense to me since I was also adding Audi auto-dimming glass to my power-folding mirrors.

I personally think either would look fine in a MK4. Either would pair well with a brushed Euro light switch too.

I don't think the size in the photos matters because I think he swaps the knobs. He also doesn't show the pic for the version that supports power-folding mirrors.

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
Noticed something on the jetta today never seen used anywhere else. The bead on the plastic vacuum nipple on my vnt actuator is only beaded 180 degrees around. I had my vacuum line on it only over the bead and it wouldn't hold a vacuum. Took the actuator off and on the bench I saw the 180 degree bead. Anyone else notice this? Actuator will lose vacuum if the vacuum line is not pushed down past the bead onto the neck.

Midwesthick

Veteran Member
TDI
A3, GSW, 02-Golf
Went to the local pick n pull and got a rear shock with unknown mileage for $9.63 off of a 2000 golf 2.0.

Swapped it with my blown one and works like a champ. Waiting for the new setup from IDParts but couldn’t stand the bouncing in the mean time.

CableJockey

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS
2002 Golf.

Electrical:
-Installed a custom built, 6-pole, hairpin, 280 Amp alternator.
-Upgraded under-hood wiring to heavy 1/0awg stranded copper. ("Big-3": alternator to battery(+); battery(-) to engine; battery(-) to body/ground).
Modified battery tray and installed huge group 49 (H8) FLA battery.

Lights NEVER dim now. (and the old Alt needed replacing anyway: bad brushes and bearings)

Intake:
-Installed PD150 intake manifold (w/ EGR-ASV).
-Alloy boost piping from turbo to manifold.
-All-aluminum intercooler.
-Silicone boost hoses.

I finally seem to have solved an endemic boost leak... (I gave up and replaced "everything")

Fuel:
-Replace rubber fuel lines from filter to hard plastic lines with new (black) rubber hosing.
-Replace filter-to-VE pump fuel lines (the clear/black ones) with Tygon clear tubing (5/16" inside, 9/16" outside.)
-Drill out check valve in fuel pickup/sender.

Officially stopped air bubbles! (which improved response and pump timing advance).

Exhaust:
-Patched a cracked weld at the back of the cat.

Annoying drone greatly diminished.

I declare it a productive weekend!

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
2002 Golf.

Electrical:
-Installed a custom built, 6-pole, hairpin, 280 Amp alternator.
-Upgraded under-hood wiring to heavy 1/0awg stranded copper. ("Big-3": alternator to battery(+); battery(-) to engine; battery(-) to body/ground).
Modified battery tray and installed huge group 49 (H8) FLA battery.

Lights NEVER dim now. (and the old Alt needed replacing anyway: bad brushes and bearings)

Intake:
-Installed PD150 intake manifold (w/ EGR-ASV).
-Alloy boost piping from turbo to manifold.
-All-aluminum intercooler.
-Silicone boost hoses.

I finally seem to have solved an endemic boost leak... (I gave up and replaced "everything")

Fuel:
-Replace rubber fuel lines from filter to hard plastic lines with new (black) rubber hosing.
-Replace filter-to-VE pump fuel lines (the clear/black ones) with Tygon clear tubing (5/16" inside, 9/16" outside.)
-Drill out check valve in fuel pickup/sender.

Officially stopped air bubbles! (which improved response and pump timing advance).

Exhaust:
-Patched a cracked weld at the back of the cat.

Annoying drone greatly diminished.

I declare it a productive weekend!
Dang that's quite productive. 1/0 is thiiickk! Pretty sure I used 1/0 and 2/0 in my Cummins when I built my battery cable set haha.

It's nice peace of mind stuffing that H8 group in there also. Easy mod too, glad a did it a while back!

CableJockey

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS
Dang that's quite productive. 1/0 is thiiickk! Pretty sure I used 1/0 and 2/0 in my Cummins when I built my battery cable set haha.

It's nice peace of mind stuffing that H8 group in there also. Easy mod too, glad a did it a while back!
1/0awg is thick.
I have the same gauge wire running to the rear hatch feeding a power-distribution block (multiple amplifiers and audio processors: don't criticize, I like my music...)
Running it through the firewall was tricky, as well as getting it through the car.

New electrical was a big help getting the car started today: -15F this morning, and -5F leaving work. Voltage held strong through pre-glow and the engine fired instantly (although pretty ragged for a minute until a little heat got into it).

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I drove mine in the snow yesterday. Also put in a ecm I got with a rocketchip stage 4+ tune. I'm wanting to try that one and see how it compares to the Malone stage 4 I had in it before. It has the dynamic idle, which is nice for warming up, and it seems to idle down differently. When I go to shift, it doesn't drop the whole way like it did with the Malone tune. Also have a set of 764 injectors I'm planning to put in, since that's what the ecm is tuned for.

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
1/0awg is thick.
On a related note, I now have a hydraulic cable crimper, so if anyone in the Pacific Northwest (Seattle/Tacoma, maybe even as far as Portland) areas needs any terminals crimped and don't want to buy one, I don't mind meeting.

As far as things done to my Mk4, nothing much. Driving it and enjoying the new tires grip!

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
On a related note, I now have a hydraulic cable crimper, so if anyone in the Pacific Northwest (Seattle/Tacoma, maybe even as far as Portland) areas needs any terminals crimped and don't want to buy one, I don't mind meeting.

As far as things done to my Mk4, nothing much. Driving it and enjoying the new tires grip!
I ended up brazing my ends but was still looking into one of those hydraulic crimpers.
Have you done anything thicker than 1/0 ?

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
With much help from Matt Litke, I enabled the monitoring system for my auto-leveling Xenon headlights today in my ColorMFA cluster. It only took three round trips from Portland to Ohio for my cluster so that two diodes and a wire could be added to it:

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
Not so much what I did to it, but more what I discovered - there's a new clutch in my future. Pretty sure it's the original clutch in this 01' NB and it's slipping with just a Malone stage 1 when I tromped on the throttle in 5th. Now I know what that feels like. Time to research how big of a PITA it is to replace a clutch on a NB, and to be careful with the throttle until then.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Research quickly.
Mine did not last long after it started slipping.
The last trip to the shop it barely made it over the lift bumps.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Not so much what I did to it, but more what I discovered - there's a new clutch in my future. Pretty sure it's the original clutch in this 01' NB and it's slipping with just a Malone stage 1 when I tromped on the throttle in 5th. Now I know what that feels like. Time to research how big of a PITA it is to replace a clutch on a NB, and to be careful with the throttle until then.
Not much worse than any other MKIV to be honest. But I've only done one NB before.

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
I think I have some time as long as I’m careful with the ‘fun pedal’. The clutch felt solid until this tune and at first it was holding.

Nero, I hope you’re right. The beetle does appear to have a lot more crap over and above the transmission side compared to my Jetta.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
What did I do today... got my car to operating temp slowly after going to the post office, and stayed home. Everyone else being affected by this storm/sub-freezing - please stay safe and don't go out unless you absolutely have to.

Mozambiquer

TDI
Research quickly.
Mine did not last long after it started slipping.
The last trip to the shop it barely made it over the lift bumps.
It really depends... My 99 Jetta started slipping after a stage two tune, we ordered a new clutch, but never got around to installing it, it ended up getting installed in my brother's gti, and the jetta is still being driven 50k miles later. It's not slipping anymore. I think the main reason it was slipping was my one brother who drove it rather fast and loved the pedal to the metal feel...