New Modification help discussion TDI

D-cappz

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ALH, 6 speed, 4motion, fully loaded, leather heated interior, sunroof, steering wheel controls. Over 420,000km
Hi, names Damian and I am new to VW Jetta TDI as of 2 weeks ago, and I need some help as I have no idea who to talk to about this stuff in Victoria BC.
All I have ever owned was older chev trucks and my CBR600rr, not only am I new to my Jetta but new cars in general.

My car - 2003 VW Jetta TDI
No mods that I know of.
I bought if for $4200 and it is in really good shape. But it was needing a little work, reg maintenance and it has no muffler, only a cat and exhaust stops behind the front seats.

Reason why I started a new thread is because I tried searching this stuff, but this app does a horrible job at finding proper searches for me.

Question #1 - I am needing a new exhaust system and I am not sure if I should keep a cat and go with a OEM type system, or do something custom.
What size of down pipe and exhaust should I do?
Cat or no cat?
Would I get error codes without a cat??
How much would it benefit me??

Question #2 - I need to do a break job, should I stay with the OEM style breaks or upgrade??
Iv read that the Audi TT break system is a good upgrade, but I can't find much info on this??
Would it benefit me to get drilled or slotted rotors??

Question #3 - engine mods??
ECU chip?? Or other type of chips??
Air intake??
Boost controller??
Up grade turbo??
Intercooler mods??
Any suggestions??

If you feel that I may benefit from anything els please let me know. I am trying to get a bit more power, but also keep fuel mileage up.

D-cappz

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ALH, 6 speed, 4motion, fully loaded, leather heated interior, sunroof, steering wheel controls. Over 420,000km

D-cappz

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm thinking of a Aero 2525XL muffler. I don't want the car louder than it is.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
My car - 2003 VW Jetta TDI
it has no muffler, only a cat and exhaust stops behind the front seats.
(snip)
Question #1 - I am needing a new exhaust system and I am not sure if I should keep a cat and go with a OEM type system, or do something custom.
What size of down pipe and exhaust should I do?
Cat or no cat?
Would I get error codes without a cat??
How much would it benefit me??;
The exhaust system won't make a big difference for performance, but I imagine you'd like it quieter. I'm pretty happy with a 2.5" downpipe, no cat, but then the original muffler. The turbo whistles all the time, but I don't mind.

Question #2 - I need to do a break job, should I stay with the OEM style breaks or upgrade??
Iv read that the Audi TT break system is a good upgrade, but I can't find much info on this??
Would it benefit me to get drilled or slotted rotors??
Staying with OE brakes will save you money which you can then spend on other stuff. I use solid Brembo rotors and Akebono ceraminc pads, but I've read that Akebono now has three varieties and the next time I'll go with the ones with better stopping power.

Question #3 - engine mods??
ECU chip?? Or other type of chips??
Air intake??
Boost controller??
Up grade turbo??
Intercooler mods??
Any suggestions??
The usual upgrade plan for your ALH engine is as follows:
First, bigger nozzles, either genuine Bosio or Bosch. Avoid counterfeit nozzles.

Then, an upgrade to the engine control software. Most go with RocketChip or Malone, but there are a couple other good ones. Do your research first -- software is uploaded through the onboard diagnostic port, it is not on an external chip clipped or soldered to the ECM.

Third, upgrade your clutch -- your OE clutch will handle bigger nozzles or an engine tune, but not both.

If you still have money, then you can research a bigger turbo, and then a bigger intercooler. Maybe then you can consider an improved intake and/or exhaust system.

D-cappz

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks you for the informative write up tornado red. I will look into these things and hopefully find someone to talk about these things with in my city.
Thanks again.

n8ronJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d XDrive, 2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5speed Platinum Grey (sold), 2010 Jetta 6speed (bought back)
Welcome to the club...
With the exception of your rims, your ride looks exactly like mine. I have the stock aluminum ones.
When I first started down the slippery (fun) slope of mods I swapped out my nozzles with PP520's and eliminated the EGR system and replaced it with a RacePipe. While I was at it I pulled the intake manifold and cleaned it. Those three things gave me more response and power - according to my gut. About a year later I got my first tune - RC2+ . About a year and a half later I replaced my clutch with a SouthBend Stage 2 Daily because I could make my stock clutch slip in any gear at any time. After the clutch and a boost gauge install I was able to upgrade to RC3 at last year's TDIFest. I have the same stock turbo, the same stock IC, the stock IC piping also.

I wont be pouring a bunch more money into the car for a while but there will be a turbo cleaning (or replacement if I can't refurb it) and some IC piping replacement.

BTW, my muffler went to the scrap yard years ago. I replaced it with a straight pipe and a little turn-down tip. I can hear my turbo and it has a slightly louder sound and rumble which I like. At some point I might replace the whole exhaust all together - go bigger and no CAT.

If you haven't checked it out yet, look in the Jetta/Bora gallery for Rocketeer928 's thread. That is a very well modded car. He's a friend of mine and that car just flies. Lots of info and instructional stuff in his thread...

just my thoughts...
...n8

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Save your money and get it in excellent stock condition. None of the stuff you mention will return the money you invested in it in fuel savings, only bragging rights. You can always upgrade later if you feel the need. Unless you are racing or something there is no real need for any upgrades. Full timing belt kit and all catchup maintenance is needed first. Check the trusted mechanics list here as well for a person near you. Our tdiclub vendors can furnish the parts you need as well.

D-cappz

Veteran Member
TDI
It has been a few years since I made this post, I have learnt a lot about VWs and the TDI engine. I have done quite a bit to my car since and I have been very happy with the results.
I am getting better fuel mileage with added power =D

you can follow my build
http://www.instagram.com/MK4mo_TDI
http://www.facebook.com/MK4moTDI

I started out with a 150HP kit from KermaTDI.
Dyno days

I then rebuilt the Engine and started adding more.

Engine & Transmission Upgrades:
ProSport Evo guages
42draftdesign gauge pods
Tune from KermaTDI
CNC Port and polished head w/ ceramic coating
Oversized valves w/ ceramic coating
Frank06 Dual valve springs
Colt Cam Stg 2
Black Nitride cam lifters
ARP headstuds
ARP main caps
BHW oil cooler
PD150 intake manifold
Frank06 Malnar H-beam rods
ARL 0.5 over w/ ceramic coating
Goetze Diamond Coated rings
Frank06 High volume Oil jets
BRM oil pump (23 tooth sprocket)
Bosio DLC 764 Nozzles (for now)
Borg Warner S7 Turbo (for now)
Braided stainless oil supply
3bar map
11mm FIP
PD lift pump
Kerma FMIC
Kerma OMI
Custom airbox intake snorkel
Kerma CCV
ProVent 200 Oil separator
Nicktane fuel filter cap
EGR & Cooler delete
Custom stainless 2.5" turbo back
SB stg 2 Endurance clutch
Wavetrac LSD Front & Rear
Sigma 6 Speed short shifter

I am now almost done a full 4motion swap from a 02 Bora PD130.
4motion swap:

Picture from Chris Korwan with Korwerks LLC who supplied the 4motion swap.

Euro 02 Bora PD130 4motion Donor
6speed 02M, Haldex & drivetrain
Fuel Tank, Lift pump & 2x sending units
Floor board (rear seats back)
Dutchbuild Haldex Controller

Im also adding new Brakes & Suspension to help with the extra power and weight added.
Brembo 17z 6 piston 330mm front brakes from a VW Touareg
R32/TT spindles
R32/TT control arms
R32/TT Rear 256mm rear brakes
RotorLab Custom cross drilled rotors

Last edited:

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
That's a lot of parts

Wouldn't you have saved some money if you had bought a GTI? :D

D-cappz

Veteran Member
TDI
Wouldn't you have saved some money if you had bought a GTI? :D
A GTI isnt AWD. =P and Im not looking to save money. Im looking to be different and have fun =D

You sure have come a long way! Looks good and hope it runs as good.
Thank you, it does run very well and I am now getting around 5.6L/100km and still not broken in.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
The car looks amazing! I'm looking forward to seeing how the Dutchbuilder works with the haldex setup and having a LSD front and rear. I don't think you'll have to many issues getting the power to the ground with your setup. ;)

This was actually what I wanted to do to my Jetta before I bought my RTDI.

You did a fantastic job getting that rear pan installed on your car, because you screw that up, you might as well by a new mkiv to start over on. :(

Good call on upgrading the brake. To many people overlook that step of their build and find out the hard way when they're out seeing how fast the car can go with the new upgrades and go to slow down only to have the pedal go soft because they cooked their brakes slowing down from their high speed run.

Keep up the good work and I'm looking forward to seeing how your car does on the street. Any plans to take it to a track or Autocross it?

terrydtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 MK4 TDI Jetta 5spd
I've got the Audi TT spindles, control arms, and brakes. Did you need to go with a special brake carrier to mount the 17Z calipers?

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
D-cappz: You will have to stop posting pictures of you car. Engine room is far too clean and total mods far too good. You are embarrassing me and I assume others.

Seriously, though: glad to see you are having some fun, but the AWD conversion is really going to put you over the top. Can't wait to see how much worse I feel when you get it on the road.

D-cappz

Veteran Member
TDI
D-cappz: You will have to stop posting pictures of you car. Engine room is far too clean and total mods far too good. You are embarrassing me and I assume others.
Seriously, though: glad to see you are having some fun, but the AWD conversion is really going to put you over the top. Can't wait to see how much worse I feel when you get it on the road.
LOL sorry. It's going to be great. Just finishing the last touches, a dyno to see what loss is than the new turbo.

D-cappz

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm going to assume he means the slippery slope of modifying your TDI. ;)
OH I see mods are done. Now it's upgrade and sell my parts, so things aren't too expensive any longer lol