Geico Settlement

intro

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta Wagon
Hey guys,

Wagon got rear-ended about a month go by a small suv. Wasn't going too fast but my rear hatch was crunched. Lock actuator damaged/hatch won't open. Tiny bit of damage to bumper and paint. Taking the cash for the repair because I was already sitting on a matched no rust blue hatch in the basement. They offered $710? Sound fair? I accepted a $100 "allowance" for the bumper damage.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Definitely not. Was rear ended in my wagon in October, they gave me $860 for just the rear bumper, it's all that was damaged. I'd definitely ask for more.

intro

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta Wagon
Definitely not. Was rear ended in my wagon in October, they gave me $860 for just the rear bumper, it's all that was damaged. I'd definitely ask for more.

How would one go about contesting? The adjuster seemed to just pull the numbers from a computer and I think they kept things low by working with a shop they cut a deal with on labor.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Go to a shop or two of your choice, then you will know

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
How would one go about contesting? The adjuster seemed to just pull the numbers from a computer and I think they kept things low by working with a shop they cut a deal with on labor.
You can try to get more estimates but it'll be difficult to get more money because the system is designed to prevent you from doing what you intend to do.

Many repair shops don't even give written estimates anymore because people would get high estimates, give them to insurance, and then take the cash and either pocket it or take the car to a place with a lower estimate to pocket the difference.

So now repair shops want to communicate directly with insurance companies. They use standard parts pricing and labor rates. If you go to three repair shops, it would be strange to get three widely different estimates. If that happens it's more likely to be because something is being left off or added on that the others aren't calculating than it is because you've found a bargain.

Since everyone knows the game by now, if you do manage to wrangle a written estimate from someone it will be low based on a surface inspection. They'll tell you that it doesn't matter what the estimate says because insurance will cover all of the repair costs associated with the accident (which is true). Since it doesn't matter in terms of repair whether it costs $700 or $2000 the estimate's value is in what it nets a customer.

Basically since everyone in the industry knows the only value an estimate has is how much cash it puts into *your* pocket all of them are going to give you a low estimate. Hopefully that amount is after your deductible but either way I would have advised that you not filed that claim. I think you would have been much better off just asking the other driver to pay you something you both could have lived with--even if it was just a few hundred bucks.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Get 2 estimates, call your agent. Some shops won't give written estimates, most will.
Heard a politician say the other day "unregulated capitalism is just theft".

ToBiN

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen TDI/M6; 2006 Dodge 3500 Cummins/M6 Mega Cab; 2011 Jetta TDI/M6 (sold)
Also note, if the shop is well known or nationwide, your car will incur a ding on your Carfax noting that it was wrecked unless/until you actually have it fixed.

With any luck you know someone in the business that will write you a fair estimate to give to the insurance. Note you only have to supply one (1) estimate to the insurance company. Some companies request 3 and then payout the lowest one, but law says you are only required to supply one estimate. Also, you can find the most expensive shop in town and take your car there, that is your right. Sounds like you are the victim here so don't let them take away any of your rights to what is fair.

If the insurance company is unwilling to payout the entire estimate, or they quote some "depreciation value" and cut you a low check, do not cash it. Once you cash any check from the insurance company you settle. Instead, take the check to an attorney and pay him or her to write the insurance company some letters. Meanwhile, since it was a rear ending, go visit a chiropractor or two. Take some days off work because of "pain". Those things will put the insurance in check and they may start treating you fairly.
Lastly, if they are still unwilling to give you fair market value or cost associated with fixing the car, lookup your state's insurance commissioner and file a complaint against the insurance company. The commissioner will contact the insurance directly and review how they are "taking care of their customers". You may get some extra communication from the insurance wanting to settle quickly.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Also note, if the shop is well known or nationwide, your car will incur a ding on your Carfax noting that it was wrecked unless/until you actually have it fixed...............snip...........
Not my experience. Carfax likely has this data from Geico.
It is worth checking the laws in your state, but if you cashed the check or signed anything, you might be all done anyway. Usually all you can really do is haggle, insurers will often low ball their customers.

intro

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta Wagon
I have not cashed the check. The last accident I had was many years ago (10), rear ended also, at a higher rate of speed but only hit the bumper. Because I've been rear-ended numerous times I do have some neck issues. The last time I was hit I did it right, went through a lawyer, did the physical therapy, kept going even when I was feeling better, and cashed out at the end. This time the impact was not hard, though it did exacerbate my neck issues a couple of days, it resolved. I simply don't have the time to go through the legal route/pt for a little extra money. The way I remember it working years ago was as Bizzle said: Go around and get 3 estimates to show a range of prices to present to the insurance company. The comments here are confusing me because it's the other guy's insurance taking care of everything. They were completely liable.

I will take the $710 but I felt a little jipped on the bumper. There was some prior damage there (paint) but the other car slightly cracked the top portion so a little piece sticks out slightly. Whatever, I suspect Bizzle is right in that they won't be giving me much more (they use junkyard parts, I already tried that route) and it's set up that way.

Not really sure how I would even start the conversation. Hey, this looks a little low>? I already know the answer will be that they pulled the quote from the repair books.

ToBiN

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen TDI/M6; 2006 Dodge 3500 Cummins/M6 Mega Cab; 2011 Jetta TDI/M6 (sold)
Not my experience. Carfax likely has this data from Geico.
It is worth checking the laws in your state, but if you cashed the check or signed anything, you might be all done anyway. Usually all you can really do is haggle, insurers will often low ball their customers.
My experience is from my son in law. He took his car into a shop for a minor paint trade when he slid into a guardrail. The company he took his car into for an estimate reported the accident and damage to Carfax. He didn't find out until he went to trade the car off and was questioned by the dealership about the "accident".

I have experienced this same issue when Discount Tire broke one of my lug studs on my suburban (pretty common with DT). They gave me a coupon to have Brakes Plus replace it for free. Although Discount Tire did not report to Carfax, Brakes Plus did and it raised a flag.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The cost of my bumper is what state farm offered me. I ran it by my father because he works in auto collision repair, and said it was enough to cover it. Having dealt with geico before on another claim, they're are by far the worst insurance company to deal with ever.

As soon as you cash the check it's a done deal. So hold off on that. How I personally would approach it, is take it to a shop, get a quote, say you already have the gate, and they'll write a supplemented quote straight to geico after doing a teardown inspection.

U4ick

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
Whatever you do.....DO NOT take it to the shop Geico will try and pressure you into taking it to, around here that would be Caliper body shop.

My niece was rear-ended by a woman that had Geico and they assured her that it would be a problem free repair if she just used their preferred provider.....rental car would be waiting there for her.

She said she was happy with the repair, it looked fine to her.

A year later she was having problems with the rear tail lights and the shop she took it to removed the rear bumper cover, they called her and said she was going to need a new bumper cover along with some other parts.

My wife called me and said that the shop that my niece had taken her car to had damaged her car and was trying to make her pay for it.

I went by the shop to have a look and when I saw what they were dealing with I was totally disgusted. The bumper cover was about a $30.00 Taiwan knock-off not CAPA certified that they had had trimmed and shimmed to make fit. Other parts they had repaired with plenty of adhesive and styrofoam.

I took pictures on my phone and went over to Caliper and showed some of the guys working in the back and they just grinned and shrugged. :mad:

benstdi

TDI
2000 Beetle TDI, 2000 XJ8, BMW X5
I am a former Geico employee and current body shop estimator. I would assume that they figured for a LKQ (used) hatch- this would eliminate the need for them to pay for individual parts separately. It seems that if they figured replacing the rear hatch, repairing the rear bumper and painting that would exceed $700. Even if they applied betterment on the rear bumper for previous damage seems low. Feel free to send me a message if you would like for me to review!

As others have mentioned, feel free to get another estimate from other shops. They will most likely require your car to be at that shop for repairs before they will issue additional payment as they are very "we require an in person inspection once at shop for supplements.". I would also verify with the vendor they selected (should be on a parts list toward the back of the estimate) that the LKQ lift gate they selected is even available and in insurance quality condition (no major dings, rust etc...) .

They use a system called CCC One for repair estimates which is fair as most shops utilize this repair estimating system (older systems Mitchell, Audatex are slowly fading away).

Last edited:

ToBiN

Veteran Member
TDI
.....Having dealt with geico before on another claim, they're are by far the worst insurance company to deal with ever.......

Located just above "The General".

CoWorker was rear ended by someone with The General Car Insurance. Many body shops wouldn't even look at her car no less give her an estimate. They told her it was because "they (The General) don't pay".

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Located just above "The General".
CoWorker was rear ended by someone with The General Car Insurance. Many body shops wouldn't even look at her car no less give her an estimate. They told her it was because "they (The General) don't pay".
Apparently they pay something, cause I see Shaq is doing their commercials now lol

ToBiN

Veteran Member
TDI
Apparently they pay something, cause I see Shaq is doing their commercials now lol

ya, they pay the big man for advertising....probably with the money they save on not paying claims. LMAO...

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
New Rule, I try to buy nothing from any company with prominent television advertisements.
But back to the subject, believe he plans on doing his own repairs. All that's left is to try and get the other party's insurance to pay a bit more. Tough, but not impossible.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
I had the same thing happen in 2006. The body shop quoted $1500 (Granted the car was 3 years old then). Here is the post. I'll look for the photos. https://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=161254

Also, ensure they include the little things in the quote, new TDI lettering on hatch along with key core matching etc.
The suggestion in post #4 of your thread is what I think the've worked to eliminate specifically so you can't get a high estimate, pay out of pocket, and then keep the difference. It would probably be hard to get that same shop to write a $1500 dollar estimate now.

MarsBar

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V#2 "Flash", 2000 Jetta GL, B4V#1 "PaTuDI" (2008-2018 RIP)
Liberty Mutual will screw you six ways from Sunday. Avoid them, as well. Not sure there are any "good" insurers, only less bad.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
the only way to win is not to play
interesting, how about a game of chess?

(which is to say, drive junk and go liability-only)

Prairieview

Veteran Member
TDI
Two 2000 Beetles, 2002 Jetta, 2002 gas avh Jetta, fleet of older 1.6 turbo and non's
Has worked exceptionally for me for decades. I did, however, grandfather in some high medical coverage which is no longer available with State Farm....can't let the policies lapse for any reason or I loose it.