Why you should buy a Diesel with a DSG transmission

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 sprinter. 03 jetta wagon premium with 6 speed ALH swap, 14 JSW
I own BOTH, see signature.
To be honest the DSG is pretty much better than the 6 speed manual except for fun.
The DSG launches like mad, shifts quicker, is (normally) smoother, and is far less effort than my 6MT.
On the 6 speed manuals side
It never gets confused what you want it to do.
I get complete control all of the time.
I get clutch control (I get none in the DSG).
Requires less maintance than the DSG with 100K fluid intervals, and my last clutch only got changed around 175K because the Flywheel quit.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
I used to have a old Deere John tractor that kept me plenty busy wrenching. I came to the conclusion that it wasn't something I particularly enjoyed, so count me among those who would rather pay someone to do it for me.

When it comes to shifting though, I'm the exact opposite, I prefer to shift my own. If I want to drive a CVT transmission, I'll fly my plane with fixed pitch prop :D (however I've been obliged to put it in storage for the next two years). It's bad enough that we are migrating towards automatics but the CVT is even worse. If I ever have to drive an auto, a VW DSG is what I'd take.

I in fact think that a Golf Bluemotion with the new 1.4 TSI, 7-sp DSG, LRR tires, auto stop/start, etc. would make a pretty good TDI substitute, and with fewer compromises than TDIs with their complex emissions. Throw in paddle shifters and I'd seriously consider it as my next car as long as ONE of our cars in the driveway was a manual.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
[...]
The whole point of this thread was not to validate anyone's choices and preferences to strangers (which, by the way, is exactly what you are doing), but merely to point out that there are positive aspects to buying something that doesn't have "three pedals".:rolleyes: [...]
Exactly! I simply got tired of the DSG bashing going on elsewhere, so I thought I'd start this thread to collect reasons why people like their TDI with DSG and might recommend it.
[...]
What I don't get is why you're "stating" (semantics... I concede) your preference for a manual in this thread. Had your post been in the thread Why You Should Not Buy A Dsg Transmission, you wouldn't have heard a peep out of me.;)
Again, couldn't agree more: there is a thread for that!

MVJetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta
I think the DSG is cool tech that's been around for a while. The stealership didn't have a black manual sedan and they were closing out the automatic models and I thought I'd give it a try. I opted for the DSG because of the fast shifts. I down shift using the manual mode. I use manual mode at least once everyday.

It does have it's quirks but I'd rather have a DSG than the slush box in my Durango or a CVT.

WalkerHD

TDI
2012 Golf Wagon
I love the DSG.

My first truck was a manual. I've operated so many manual machines, driller on drilling rigs, dozers, faller bunchers, processors, graders, every kind of semi truck transmission you can think of(one I added a gear box too has 3 shifters. try driving that one), trucks, cars, you name it I've probably been in the seat of somthing simular. I've got 4, 1 69,x2 70's, 1 73 Ford mustangs, done up with over 500 ponies, and all manual. I went with the auto DSG VW and I love it!! Sport mode and manual shifting. Its super fast shifting and super smooth. Also my girl friend can drive it, as she doesn't know how to drive stick. I have no shame what so ever driving a DSG auto.

carcinogenic tune

TDI
2010 audi a3 2.0L tdi cr CBEA
I have a malone tuned DSG w/launch control in my 2010 audi a3 2L cr tdi. I just bought and installed a used quad spoke steering wheel with radio control and PADDLE SHIFTERS!!! What a thrill to drive. Banging the gears at 3500rpm @37psi of boost is very addicting. Very much like ripping in a rally car. Great setup. The technology and the design in the DSG is unreal.
I've done a service on it already. Kinda of a pain. The gear oil is very expensive and smells like sulfuric cat piss and the procedure is a chore.. it was worth every hour, every dollar and every curse word.
I wander why this technology hasn't been picked up for use in the modern heavy duty diesel pick up trucks. The dsg uses dual clutch packs with multi disks and intermediate plates. This design is capable of a large amount power and abuse. You could easily design one capable of handling 2500lbs of torque. I know the DSG is a patented design from ZF. They make automated transmissions for use in tour busses and commercial transport semi trucks.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
If you HAVE to have an automatic, a DSG is the way to go, especially with paddleshifters on the steering wheel !
When we bought our Golf, the dealership did not have a manual transmission TDI Golf (or Golf Sportwagon - what we really wanted). Yes there are some quirks with it, but the fact that you can manually shift it almost makes up for it.
You could never get me to buy a CVT.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
A '13 VW JSW TDI 6M made my day(s) for 50,000 miles. Then I rolled over and played dead when VOA made me an offer I could not refuse.
Was it the best car I ever had? Actually - from an emotional standpoint YES. The withdrawal process has been painful, really painful...........

But VW and Bosch offered a LOT of bread. I can now really get next to the saying "Everyone has their price"...............
So - while the $$$ has somewhat softened the withdrawal, I still hurt. MPG, torque, space and looks - well I reckon most of us get it.............

I like the feel of good synchros, the friction point of a light clutch - and I got lucky (again) -- - bought another VW (alas gas) with both of these
positives.

And - I know this sounds contentious - I invested a goodly sum.

But that wagon - like memories of my best ever hunting dog - lives within.

ez

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
I'm glad to see the thread is still alive... as is my 2012 JSW TDI with DSG.

johnsTDI

Veteran Member
Canada,ont North America were Neighbours to usa
TDI
2012 Highline
DSG Transmission from what i can gather is actually not a bad tranny You have both shifting modes when you want to use them whether you want to shift it like a manual you do so or you can leave it in auto you have both of best worlds in one. the older guys me inc. liked the fact that we could shift are tranmissions are selves hello...? you still can just takes a little getting use to & the best part is your not riding your clutch down on hard launches like a manual you should be embracing the new technology instead of reaching for the old school shift knob & clutch pedal. lol

Adam danger

TDI
14 Jetta tdi DSG
I just bought a Jetta with a DSG on Thursday. I got the dsg because i like the way it drives. It’s replacing a mt Jetta (gas) with 310k miles (transmission turned into gold colored pudding last month- although it still has the original clutch, and the engine cracked a ring Monday). I don’t care about a fluid and filter change every 40k miles, that’s trivial maintence. My wife likes and enjoys driving the Jetta with the dsg, so that’s a bonus (yes, she can operate a clutch, for the life of me I can’t figure out what anotomical parts some guys use to shift that they think it’s “manly” to shift gears). I’ve driven a couple million miles in manual transmissions and another million in autos (slushbox/cvt/hydraulic/dsg/servo-controlled manual), and honestly most of the time it’s nice to let the machine do the work.

As far as why I got the tdi? Because it’s an amazing little diesel motor. Lasts a long time, makes good power and doesn’t eat much fuel. The leap forward in power from the golf (87 diesel) and rabbit diesel is amazing. No more stomp and pray while merging onto the highway at 25mph and shutting off the A/C to climb a hill.

johnsTDI

Veteran Member
Canada,ont North America were Neighbours to usa
TDI
2012 Highline
I always feared getting a Diesel until my commute to work turned into a 50 minute drive from home to work one way HYW commute the gas Civic i owned made no sense too me anymore coming from a European back ground and seeing many Diesels & TDI's back home running strong for Years on end. i tried it and im Glad i did.! because i love how my 2012 TDI deleveres back in seating comfort & Fuel Economy. its a manual 6 speed but even if it were equiped with a DSG trans lets say. i would still love it. my adivice is if You can find a TDI Never Fear it.