www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old February 27th, 2012, 08:03   #61
Jnitrofish
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Bad on short trips, good on long trips.

Is there an official definition of what makes the plus? It's not been in any of the base stock definitions and tables I have seen. I have seen tables with differences between II and II+ but no mention of III+. Hence my answer, as I don't have a definition of what III+ is.
[ 2005.5 :: 06/05 Jetta 5m Franko6 BEW Cam/Malone Tuned - Equipped for towing (Bosal/Airlift/Tekonsha) || 2005.5 :: 05/05 Jetta 5m Tuned (Wife's Car) || 2006 :: 02/06 Jetta DSG Malone Tuned (Dad's Car) ]
[ 4 TDI tally: 4 cam jobs, 5 timing belts, 4 alternator pulleys, 2 DMF, 1 G60/VR6, 1 Jetta ] [ Explained engine vibration
]
Jnitrofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2012, 12:29   #62
Bob_Fout
Oil Wanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnitrofish View Post
Is there an official definition of what makes the plus? It's not been in any of the base stock definitions and tables I have seen. I have seen tables with differences between II and II+ but no mention of III+. Hence my answer, as I don't have a definition of what III+ is.
I don't know if there's anything official on it. It's like...super group III / almost PAO. Think of it as a Group III oil that performs like PAO. T 5w40 and T6 have no PAO though.
Old February 27th, 2012, 21:38   #63
Jnitrofish
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Bad on short trips, good on long trips.

So it's refined from the same stuff as other group III oils, but it has Shell's super-mega-hyper-spectacular-uber-awesome-grande-hydronuked™ process to make it badass.
[ 2005.5 :: 06/05 Jetta 5m Franko6 BEW Cam/Malone Tuned - Equipped for towing (Bosal/Airlift/Tekonsha) || 2005.5 :: 05/05 Jetta 5m Tuned (Wife's Car) || 2006 :: 02/06 Jetta DSG Malone Tuned (Dad's Car) ]
[ 4 TDI tally: 4 cam jobs, 5 timing belts, 4 alternator pulleys, 2 DMF, 1 G60/VR6, 1 Jetta ] [ Explained engine vibration
]
Jnitrofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2012, 04:08   #64
FXDL
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 4.4 per 100KM's

So Shell T 6 is a group III oil and Mobil 1'S truck is a group IV which up here the Shell is some $33.00 a 5 lilter jug and the Mobil is $46.00 a 4.4 lilter jug at wallymart I believe. Some out here seem to think the Shell is gods gift to TDI's. It sounds good but is really that great as everyone claims it to be?? What is the Zinc content etc., in the T 6, or does anyone know??? Each their own, we all I am sure have our fav., as to what we like to use. I am just trying to see if there is something better then the Amsoil I am using and at same time less money out of my pocket plus easier to get, as I can walk into a Wallymart and pick it up. Sounds to me both are twice what one pays south of the border and the fact that we are getting ripped off big time up here. Need to do some cross border shopping some time soon maybe and if the Shell is really all that great get me a case or two. Will use the Shell as the Amsoil is a little costly. May save even on Amsoil as I use the AMO 10W40 with the high Zinc etc., in it, in my 2006 Jetta PD TDI. Everyone have a great day eh.
FXDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2012, 07:54   #65
Bob_Fout
Oil Wanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnitrofish View Post
So it's refined from the same stuff as other group III oils, but it has Shell's super-mega-hyper-spectacular-uber-awesome-grande-hydronuked™ process to make it badass.
Yep, this pretty much sums it up!

FWIW, Mobil has been doing a similar thing: TDT, M1 0w40 and the ESP oils have some Super GIII mixed in. Mobil won't say how much, or what kind of basestocks...
Old May 6th, 2018, 08:51   #66
Satsonic

TDI(s): 2006 Jetta

My 2 pennies:

Been using Rotella T6, for lask 20k miles (coming up on 145k) on 06 BRM TDi. I bought the vehicle with 125k miles; so not sure what it's had in it.

I change it every 5k miles as a personal preference; so maybe my data is not as good as others on the forum. Also, I don't send my oil out to be tested. I just change it (as for me it's cheap enough). No issues thus-far.

Also, I agree that the key is the 5W40 on this. 5W30 will lead to premature cam wear/failure. Once the engine is up to operating temperature the 40 weight provides better protection.
Satsonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2018, 18:55   #67
OlyTDI
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '04 Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satsonic View Post
My 2 pennies:

Been using Rotella T6, for lask 20k miles (coming up on 145k) on 06 BRM TDi. I bought the vehicle with 125k miles; so not sure what it's had in it.

I change it every 5k miles as a personal preference; so maybe my data is not as good as others on the forum. Also, I don't send my oil out to be tested. I just change it (as for me it's cheap enough). No issues thus-far.

Also, I agree that the key is the 5W40 on this. 5W30 will lead to premature cam wear/failure. Once the engine is up to operating temperature the 40 weight provides better protection.
Really, you're throwing money (and perfectly good oil) away by doing this. With stock filtering, 10K is plenty early to change out oil. New oil is not superior -- it's the older oil that is more protective (there are numerous threads on this) and if you're micro-filtering with a bypass system, you can easily go 20 - 25K miles with excellent used oil analyses.
Malone Tuned, SBC Stage II Daily, Nicktane Cat 2 fuel filter, Dieselgeek bypass oil filter, Whitedog intake hose fix, A4 Defender skid plate, GLI Recaros, Check Temp III, Ventectomy, LED trunk lighting mod, Volx glass headlight lenses, VR6 front and wagon rear springs. Koni FSDs all around. FrostHeater with bumper mounted plug-in mod (details here).
OlyTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2018, 19:44   #68
MichaelB
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: very good

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlyTDI View Post
Really, you're throwing money (and perfectly good oil) away by doing this. With stock filtering, 10K is plenty early to change out oil. New oil is not superior -- it's the older oil that is more protective (there are numerous threads on this) and if you're micro-filtering with a bypass system, you can easily go 20 - 25K miles with excellent used oil analyses.
Yes, there are many who follow these forums and still just don't get it. They somehow feel that an oil change is a great thing to protect their engine. Yes, oil does reach a point where it needs to be refreshed because it has worn out of its useful life but anything under 10K is just ignorant and a waste of good money.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2018, 12:48   #69
belome
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47'ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
anything under 10K is just ignorant and a waste of good money.

... but it get all black and dirty looking.
Old May 11th, 2018, 12:52   #70
Windex
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ʎɯouoɔƎ lǝnℲ

Quote:
Originally Posted by belome View Post
It doesn't get all sooty if you suck the oil out of the oil filter housing every change.

In 10k, mine gets a little grey, but not black like most diesels. I use the Pela to suck out the pan, and all ports in the oil filter housing.

Proudly installing things where they're not supposed to go since 1996!
Windex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2018, 13:01   #71
MichaelB
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: very good

Quote:
Originally Posted by belome View Post
This thread is going nowhere
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2018, 05:47   #72
James & Son
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2006 Jetta

Just wondering, where is Bob_Fout these days? He was the authority on CJ4 oil.

Also has anybody taken TooSlicks recommendation and started to use the CK4 version.
Should be better in some ways. Does T6 5w-40 have a CK4 version.

This seems to indicate T6 is now CK4.
http://rotella.shell.com/products/fu...3/t6-5w-40.pdf
James & Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2018, 19:24   #73
boertje
Veteran Member

Using the chevron delo 400 xsp 5w-40 CK-4 in my 2001 bug. Works fine and cannot tell any difference. $20.84 per gallon at Wally World.
boertje is offline   Reply With Quote