Squeal after being parked overnight

Tekt0nix

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Hello,

I have a 2015 Passat TDI SE with about 7200 miles. Recently I have been hearing a high pitched squeal pulling out of the driveway in the morning after the car has been parked overnight. The noise happens when the car is rolling and NOT when the brakes are applied. As soon as I pull out of the driveway the noise disappears. Note that the car is garaged.

The noise just started happening a few days ago. A couple of weeks ago I had steel rims and snow tires put on but I am not sure how that would contribute to the noise. I am thinking it is a coincidence.

My best guess right now is that the parking brake could be sticking and causing it. But I tried to reproduce it in my workplace parking lot by driving a little bit with the parking brake engaged and could not.

Anyone have any ideas? I would bring it in to the dealership but odds are it would be a waste of time since they most likely wouldn't be able to reproduce it. Maybe I should bring it in some evening and let it sit so they can hear it the next morning?

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
I agree, regarding dealer visit, as the only likely way to reproduce is to leave it there for one or more nights.

This is more of a hail mary, but take it back to the shop who installed the steelies to complain and ask that someone take a look. Record a video of the occurrence. May not find anything, but at least it's free.

Mark SF

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDi
Sounds like a classic slipping accessory belt to me. In the morning, alternator load is maximum and belt grip is minimum.

sdeck

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, 253K, 01M, DLC520s, VNT-17(sold); 2014 Passat SE 6M, 61,000 miles (Feb 16 buyback date)
rear brake squeal is a classic side effect of certain brake systems, VW included. Usually shows up after sitting or getting wet because the rotors oxidize and become just a tiny bit wider. The fine feathered edge on the front of the pads runs up against it when in reverse.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Try gently but quickly stabbing the throttle right after start-up. If it's a belt slipping, you might be able to provoke it.

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
Both my car and the wife's car do this. It goes away after the first application of the brakes for the day.

:)

Tekt0nix

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
So I haven't heard it for the past couple of mornings. Right now I am thinking it is the normal VW brake squeal that seems to be fairly common. I spoke to a service tech at the dealer and he was ready to give me an explanation before I even finished my sentence.

I will continue to monitor to see if anything changes.

TDIEQNY

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SEL
my car does this and has done since I can remember

same set of pads on it at 53K so far

as others have said.. surface oxidation is most likely culprit...