Rocketchip stage 1 vs Malone stage 1

MTpockets

TDI
2011 tdi golf 6 spd manual
From what i understand there isnt to much of a difference between these 2 other than rocketchip increases boost please let me know if im wrong. With either of these im wondering if stock clutch will take the increase in torque or if something better is recommended. Thanks

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
There is really no magic in writing tunes. I strongly suspect that both Malone and RocketChip increase Boost as well as increasing fueling. The fueling increase can be from either increasing fuel rail pressure or increasing injection timing and duration or (more probably) doing both. Most stage one tunes seem to be pretty much the same when you compare dyno results. All of the differences between one stage 1 tune and another could easily be explained by the differences between dynos.

The only way to really tell which tune is "better" would be to tune the same car with both tunes and then test them both on the same dyno (preferably on the same day). I do not know of anyone who would be willing to buy both tunes and actually try this. Therefore most people choose a tuner by whichever one has a dealer more convenient to their location. Both RocketChip and Malone are well respected TDI tuners and I'm sure you would be happy with whichever one you choose.

Have Fun!

Don

That Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MKiv Golf TDI
Both tunes will increase boost.

The big difference between them is: (at least a year or so ago)
- with Rocketchip you need to send your ECU to them to get it chipped.
- with Malone you need a computer (to receive a file tune via email, and to load it onto the flash device via a USB cable), and a flash device called Flashzilla that you hook to the port in your car to flash the ECU chip.

As far as I've ever read, both tuners are great.

I have a Malone tune...it's worked great, no problems.

I do like Malone's way of doing it myself. It's more convenient.
You have to wait for the flash device to be mailed to you, but during that time your car isn't missing it's ECU, so you can keep using it.
The tune can be easily and quickly changed back if there's a problem.
And if you have a VCDS you can send logs to Mark Malone to have him tweak the tune to perfection...especially useful if you have any upgrades.

You'll likely need to get a new -upgraded- clutch. You shouldn't need to right away, but it's something to plan for.

Southbend makes a really nice clutch...but what you need will depend on the tune and any other upgrades you get done.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Both tunes will increase boost.

The big difference between them is: (at least a year or so ago)
- with Rocketchip you need to send your ECU to them to get it chipped.
- with Malone you need a computer (to receive a file tune via email, and to load it onto the flash device via a USB cable), and a flash device called Flashzilla that you hook to the port in your car to flash the ECU chip.
This does not apply to 2010 and up TDIs. For new TDIs the ECU must always be sent away to the tuner or else you must go to a tune dealer who has the right equipment to disable the security software that is built-in to the ECU. This security software cannot be read or written through the ODBII port. It is in a protected part of memory. The equipment must plug directly into the circuit board inside the ECU.

Things got more complicated starting in 2009 and even more complicated starting in 2010.

Have Fun!

Don

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Correction....looks like 2009 and newer cars require the ECU to be removed and shipped with Malone tunes too. :eek:

Actually 2009 was a somewhat strange year. The "security program" was added in late 2009 models (I believe). Most 2009s can actually be tuned through the ODBII port (mine was), but sometime around when the 2010 models were released VW added a security "feature" that would "brick" the ECU if non standard software is detected. It is this security program that must be modified/removed/bypassed before a tune can be successfully be installed. Once this security software has been eliminated tunes through the ODBII port are possible. However, if VW does any ECU "updates" this security program is re-written and the ECU must once again be removed in order for a tune to function. I guess VW wants the tuners to have to earn their money.:rolleyes:

Have Fun!

Don

Power_Not_Speed

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
I have 120K of 160K miles on an RC2 tune. Jeff said I would need a clutch soon, so I bought a stage 3 clutch 2 years ago and am still waiting for the original to give out.
Then again I don't burn rubber. At least not from a standing start.

That Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MKiv Golf TDI
Interesting about the 2009+ models....and annoying. I really liked the ability to flash the ECU via the ODBII port. Now I'm wondering about my late model 2009 GTI...I'll probably get a tune and whatever done to it at some point. I suppose I could use the excuse to drive to BC to have it tuned in person.

As for the clutch....I'm on my 2nd, going to my 3rd clutch in the TDI soon.

I don't drive super crazy, but I do give it regular "Italian tune-ups" now. Since I've started doing that my air intake manifold has been nice and clean...more or less, and the turbo never has a problem.

I've experienced a fairly gummed up air intake manifold and turbo in the past...and that's with aggressive driving, but extremely few WOTs. This contributed to my original turbo going bad.

I assume that the really cold weather that we get here from time to time also contributes to early clutch failure. They are more prone to slipping when it's -30 or colder...and slipping means more wear and less life.

The DMF clutches on the MK4's weren't that great. Getting a tune pretty much guaranteed that the clutch would need to be upgraded/replaced. I'm not sure about the clutches in newer models. But after tuning and the clutch going bad I would still think it's best to get an upgraded clutch that can hold more torque.
:)

06SpiceRedTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Spice Red TDI Jetta, 2006.5 DSG Platinum Gray TDI
Between my brothers, and friends we have 4 2006 TDIs, 2 have RC 1+ and 2 have Malone Stage 1 tunes. The RC tunes definitely have more get up and go but they are also a lot smokier tune. I have had the RC 1+ tune since TDIFest 2010, and it is nearly impossible to take off with more than 1/2 throttle without spinning the tires and activating the ESP.

duwem

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI 5 Speed
Do you have to buy this flashzilla deal and a cable? If so, how much is that?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Dont suppose a VCDS cable works?
Nope. VCDS does almost everything that the dealers computers can do (and more) except for re-flashing controller memory. I think that this was done for legal reasons, but I am not certain about that. Re-flashing ECU memory takes special tools which must be purchased, rented, or borrowed.

Have Fun!

Don

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Can somebody convey what a stage 1 or 2 tune does to MPGs? Thanks.
Keep in mind that RC doesn't really have a Stage 1 for an ALH engine (if your signature is correct). Starts with Stage 2. About 17 PSI boost, increase in fueling and timing advance. No material change in FE, perhaps a slight improvement depending on how you drive. IMHO RC Stage 2 is a great upgrade on ALH cars. No other mods needed, just drives better.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
I have RC4 and my mileage is unchanged assuming I control my right leg. I think I may have a mild case of leadfootitis where the right leg wants to jam it to the floor.

Stock my car got 46-50 mpg, tuned (+PP520 injectiors) it gets 46-52 mpg.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Last fill on my wagon (many mods, RC6) got 43 MPG in half city/suburban half highway, still using a lot of the new power since its engine refresh. I can see 50 on a trip at a steady 75-80 MPH.

JayT

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2003, Silver Beetle, 2013, Moonrock
Can yinz give me a ball park cost for RC tune on CR? What am I looking at down the road? Also, the tune for DSG. I've "heard" it's near a grand for both? Quite a step up from alh. Waiting for warranty to end will be forever...