2001 jetta tdi

gifd13

TDI
2001 jetta
I have a 2001 jetta it was running fine stopped to get food came back out and all it does is start and run for about 2 to 4 seconds then dies thought it might have been the immo but the light in the dash goes right off please help also the glow plug light isnt coming on now ....

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Relay 109 (no glow or MIL will come on when this dies)

Stuck shut anti shudder valve (engine will start for second, perhaps attempt to start, then die, then it will fast crank like it has no compression.... because it cannot get any air in to compress)

Ignition switch, lost contact in the "run" position, so it'll start while in the "crank" position, but when you release the key, it dies.

gifd13

TDI
2001 jetta
Ive changed relay 109 and the shutter valve wasnt stuck and the egr is clean of all carbon build up the immobilozer is the issue either .... Maybe lifter pump? It tries to start runs for about 2 seconds and shuts off at this point im out of ideas any more info would be helpful to point me in a direction thabk for the ideas tho

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
Ive changed relay 109
Is the glow plug light coming on now?
Maybe lifter pump?
2001 Jetta did not have a lift pump from the factory, has one been added?
It tries to start runs for about 2 seconds and shuts off at this point im out of ideas any more info would be helpful to point me in a direction thabk for the ideas tho
Is there fuel in the clear line from the filter to the pump?

mrfiat

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (Reflex Silver) , 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon (Black)
Isn't the classic thing the car does when the immobilizer isn't working correctly? When I have had a key made and the immobilizer isn't programmed correctly yet, this is exaclt what it does. Maybe try your spare key?

gifd13

TDI
2001 jetta
Glow plug light comes on for a split second now thats about it and i think i ment the injecton pump i belive and yes there is fuel in the clear line but also air alot of air bubbles....

gifd13

TDI
2001 jetta
And ive also tried the spare key it does the same thing the immo light go right off and doesnt flash or anything maybe its still the immo

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
You should really try and use some punctuation in your post. Hard to read one run on sentence. People can help you better if they understand what you are typing.

gifd13

TDI
2001 jetta
Sorry ive been at work and its hard to type.But the glow plug light comes on for just a split second and then goes off.....the immo light goes right off as well no flashing or anything ...... Maybe it either the injection pump or a bad ignition switch. It also has alot of air bubbles in the fuel line.... Im going to give it a few more days then im taking it to my local vw dealer ship.

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
It also has alot of air bubbles in the fuel line
That would indicate air infiltration prior to the fuel pump.
How old is your fuel filter, and are you sure the black thermostatic tee
is crack-free, seated well, and has good o-rings?
Your '01 may not have an in-tank lift pump at all. I would check for fuel line damage, and at the connections.

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
No lift pump in your car. Check your fuel filter T-fitting for proper seating.

Check for error codes - VCDS

Last edited:

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
You could try bleeding the fuel system at the injectors. Loosen all 4 nuts, put down some rags and crank for maybe 5 seconds, you should get spray, not just drizzle. If that allows it to start, you'll want to figure out how the air is getting in.