A4 2002 Jetta TDI Oil Cooler, O-Ring Replacement, AC Hoses Prevents Access

CaliJetta

TDI
2002 Jetta
Performing the annual oil change, replacing the oil cooler o-rings (p/n 038117070A & 038117070) 195K miles.
AC compressor hoses are in front of the oil cooler cover/ 32mm nut. Cannot access with a socket wrench.
Any suggestions to access the oil cooler cover best. Could remove the AC compressor, remove radiator, remove hoses.
Am I the only one struggling with this one? I don't see a procedure in the Bentley manual.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
I recently upgraded my oil cooler. I just bent the lines slightly and made it work.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I just remove the two bolts that hold the compressor on and hang it down out of the way. Just have to remove the belt and unplug the connector. Easy.

germerican

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I just remove the two bolts that hold the compressor on and hang it down out of the way. Just have to remove the belt and unplug the connector. Easy.

That's what I've done, just give the bushings in the a/c compressor a smack with a small dead blow. The compressor is a lot easier to bolt back in place after that.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Slightly loosen bolts, put rod or smaller socket on them, whack a couple of times with hammer moderately.

That retracts the sleeves, then unbolt and it comes right out. Set it on a milk crate or other support but do not disconnect the lines.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
I don't recall having to do anything with the compressor, just moved the lines out of the way and I could gain acess

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Me either (99.5), but apparently some models have the lines routed a bit different. One thing to keep in mind, the big nut is not on there real tight, you don't necessarily have to fit that big socket to get it off.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
When I did the cooler on my 03 wagon, and on my friends 02 Golf, both AC lines were definitely a tight fit to get the socket in. Just broke it loose, and got that big dog out of there. The fun part is letting all the oil drain out. Like I said, I did have to bend the aluminum line just a smidge off the compressor to allow the socket to fit. It was the larger of the two, and I only had to move it a degree or two.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You can suck 95% of it out from the top once the filter is removed with a suitable device. Minimizes the mess underneath anyway.

Smokin' Dually

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
I don't recall having to do anything with the compressor, just moved the lines out of the way and I could gain access
I did both the '01 and '03 like that. I could fit the extension between the lines and crack it loose. It's easier to remove and install from the top.

As mentioned above, open the filter and pull it up to let the oil drain into the oil pan. Spend a few minutes before you remove the "spindle" (bolt on the bottom) and get wire and hoses as much out of the way as you can. Remove and install the cooler and spindle together, it fits through into position better.

CaliJetta

TDI
2002 Jetta
Appreciate all the response.

AC hoses are right in front of the cover.

Sounds like the oil cooler cover/ nut is not on tight. Will try to place a low profile 32mm socket and see if I can get-er done without removing the compressor if possible. Maybe thinking it through to much - still good to figure things out prior to draining all the oil. Have a MityVac will suck out what I can from above prior.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
The compressor is 2 bolts and one plug. Drop it down, you'll have tons of room and won't risk bending / breaking a refrigerant line.

In case it's not apparent, you don't need to discharge the refrigerant to do this. The lines are a fine shape to let the compressor hang down a bit.

-J