Squeaking Sound Diagnosis

reildawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I have had a few second of squeaking noise on start up over the last little while and then again when I turned on the lights, and blower fan at the same time. I'm wondering if my alternator pulley may be starting to go, or if the sudden power draw and noise are unrelated. I have been looking up the procedure to swap out the pulley, but I'm hesitant to do it and find I haven't corrected my problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Mike Mc

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
I, very recently, replaced the alternator pulley in my 2002 Jetta TDI. I used a mechanic's stethoscope to isolate the problem. I ended up removing the alternator to replace the pulley and decided to replace the voltage regulator while it was out. For me it was a big bad job. I took my time and was happy with the result. Good luck.

reildawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Ending up ordering a pulley, the car have 500k on it and I have no idea when the PO changed it last, or at all. So even if its not my main issue it will be adding a layer of reliability to the alternator.

reildawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
May have found a new culprit. My idler pulley failed in spectacular fashion and was replaced. Still intent on doing the Alt pulley soon.
[/url][/IMG]