Help ID this leak??? 2004 Jetta BEW motor

VincenzaV

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Please let me know what you think this black colored leak is coming from?

Last edited:

VincenzaV

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Wow fruitcakesa, I just did some Google-ing' and found a VW recall for the Tandem Pump for my year, and it looks like my VIN number is affected. I am assuming the big silver looking thing in second picture (with the coiled universal diesel hose on it) is the pump?

I don't think the real was ever done. My father was the first owner. I have all the records, I check them and with him tomorrow.

I have to find out if safety recalls have expiration dates, dough!

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
Yes, that is the pump.
I also have an 04 and this is the first I have heard of the recall.
Do you have the details about it?

PrintSmith

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI - RIP June 2016 - 470,000 on clock. 2004 Jetta TDI Sport new to me June 2016
IIRC, the term of even safety recalls is 10 years from when it was announced and the tandem pump recall was announced in 2004. Specifics, again drawing from memory, were that it affected some pumps manufactured by LUK. If you have a Bosch pump the recall didn't affect you.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Check the worm gear hose clamps to see if they are tight. I prefer the spring clamps, myself.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen dsg and 2015 Passat 6 M/T
Might clean the area and then you'll see more clearly where the leak is coming from as it reappears?????

VincenzaV

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Yup, apparently it is 10 years from date of recall, so I'm likely having to eat it. I already pressure washed it at the car wash. I guess I can try a heavy degreaser and brush of some sort.

What are the "symptoms" (if any) of a leaking tandem pump???

Here's a video showing the same leak, tandem put gasket. I will be happy if I can just buy a gasket...

Last edited:

mgoff5000

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2004 Passat (RIP)
That leak looks to be on the opposite side from the tandem pump. Perhaps just the valve cover?

If your engine has the coolant flange below the tandem pump then leaking coolant is usually the symptom of the TP failing. Oil and or diesel eat the flange and it fails. Lots on the forum here about that issue/repair.

VincenzaV

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
mgoff5000-The TP is on the DS side, correct? That is the side of the black leak looking area. Also, yes, the coolant lines are under the (what I now know) is the TP, and they are wet and squishy so maybe its just the proprietary shipped lines?

Yareka

TDI
05 PDwagon and 3.2rado
As mentioned above, best to clean that area on the front of the head and around the tandem pump so you can identify where the leak is coming from with a clean slate, that buildup looks like its been collecting for a while.

The tandem pump recall is a tough one. Even though I had the problem LUK pump with the black plate in the recall, my VIN wasnt eligible. Went round and round with VW and they would not budge on replacing it, even though it was filling the crankcase with diesel.

PGM jetta

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta BEW
Have you had any extended cranking during starting or possible running issues? If not, I wouldn't be too concerned with the TSB. Or maybe a previous owner changed it, unless you're the only owner. There is a port on the side of it that you can test operating pressure to see if it's in spec.

Definitely try to spray degreaser on it and let it soak, then hit it with a pressure washer.

If it's just the tandem pump gasket, it's pretty cheap ($15) and can be changed in about 30 minutes. Removing the airbox and the accordion hose gives you plenty of room to work. Just be careful with the vacuum hose that goes to the brake booster. Removing the pump is a good time to check the vacuum nipple on the back. Mine had lots of wiggle so I put JB weld around it (there's a thread on here that shows a very clean way of doing so)

VincenzaV

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Well, I wanted to give it some time. I degreased it, scrubbed it real well, and washed it. Been a while, no more leak/gunk! Must have been a slow diesel leak from the hose near the TP ( Replaced the leaking hose a year ago).