VW Unveils 2015 Golf TDI

No More Buffalo

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2015 Golf SEL 6m Sold: 2012 Golf 2dr DSG
promises 170 horsepower, 184-pound-feet torque routed through either a manual or automatic transmissions.

The company says this is equal in power and has seven additional pound-feet torque over the conventional 2.5-liter five cylinder
***? Where'd our torque go?

EDIT: Upon further review, this looks like a typo. Most Euro sites are claiming around 190HP/280ft lbs. Detuned slightly for the US it's probably 170/280.

Last edited:

VWJayhawk

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
***? Where'd our torque go?

EDIT: Upon further review, this looks like a typo. Most Euro sites are claiming around 190HP/280ft lbs. Detuned slightly for the US it's probably 170/280.

That looks like the figures for the new gas 1.8T (the 170hp, 184tq). The new diesel should be 150hp/236tq if I read it right.

mikec944

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf w/Tech
I was at NY auto show yesterday. Unfortunately, they had the Golf TDI roped off so the public couldn't see the car up close. The info there said 150hp/236tq. They also had a cutaway of the 7 speed DSG.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Yee-hah. Welcome, drivers of the direct injected gas engines, to the brave new world of intake valve deposits that clog the valve pockets. What a major money making ripoff of unknowing buyers!!

bfalke1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI, Tech Package, 6MT, 4 door - SOLD
I just want to know if the manual is still an option (it really should be, but I have seen no mention of it). Also, since production is moving to mexico, is the interior going to be redone with the same crappy hard plastics as the Jetta?

Maybe the cheapening of the interior is why they wouldnt let anyone near it...

LRTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 16 GSW... Just the LR diesel now
I just want to know if the manual is still an option (it really should be, but I have seen no mention of it). Also, since production is moving to mexico, is the interior going to be redone with the same crappy hard plastics as the Jetta?

The current one is over priced v the market. Building in Mexico, rather than the Motherland is one part of the solution.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI

What kind of content the car gets has nothing to do with the country it is made in. It has to do with the market it will be sold in.

Last edited by a moderator:

Niosotis

Veteran Member
TDI
:'( RIP:2002 Black 4dr Golf TDI
I had also read that sometime next year they'll be unveiling the GTD for stateside release as a 2015 model. Here's hoping.

bfalke1

Veteran Member
TDI
What kind of content the car gets has nothing to do with the country it is made in. It has to do with the market it will be sold in.
First, my thanks to ezshift5 and 03_01_TDI.

Apparently some people cannot make inferences... so I will spell it out: The Jetta got, what in my opinion, is a crappier interior, consisting of hard plastics, when production moved to Mexico (for extra clarity: that has nothing to do with the people assembling the Jetta, but everything to do with a shift at VW to cutting costs by all means available to them, even if it is in detriment to the overall quality of the vehicle). On top of that, they would not let people close enough to the new car to touch the interior... Those combined to the implication in my question, which was that the interior may not be as nice as the current model...

Additionally, do I even need to ask what market the Jetta that is bought in the US is sold in???

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up

Apparently some people cannot make inferences... so I will spell it out: The Jetta got, what in my opinion, is a crappier interior, consisting of hard plastics, when production moved to Mexico (for extra clarity: that has nothing to do with the people assembling the Jetta, but everything to do with a shift at VW to cutting costs by all means available to them, even if it is in detriment to the overall quality of the vehicle). On top of that, they would not let people close enough to the new car to touch the interior... Those combined to the implication in my question, which was that the interior may not be as nice as the current model...

Additionally, do I even need to ask what market the Jetta that is bought in the US is sold in???
My JSW was made in the Puebla plant, and it had nice interior parts... better quality plastics (and metal!) in fact than my Chattanooga Passat, and with additional features like the 115V AC outlet!

As frugality stated-nothing to do with where it was made. At car shows, cars are often roped off, but it would not surprise me at all if there are a few things changed to save money on materials in the interior! I don't think people were prevented from seein ghte interior for any reason other than they wanted to keep it as clean as possible. Typical carshow strategy.

Mexicans have been making more VWs and for longer than US plants, and remember the Wesfalia plant? Those Rabbits were about as cheaply made as possible!!

Last edited:

bfalke1

Veteran Member
TDI
My JSW was made in the Puebla plant, and it had nice interior parts... better quality plastics (and metal!) in fact than my Chattanooga Passat, and with additional features like the 115V AC outlet!

As frugality stated-nothing to do with where it was made. At car shows, cars are often roped off, but it would not surpside me at all if there are a few things changed to save money on materials in the interior.

Mexicans have been making more VWs and for longer than US plants, and remember the Wesfalia plant? Those Rabbits were about as cheaply made as possible!!
I hope that continues, but I have my doubts... I don't like them not letting people see the interior. If VW does not cheapen it, and they really do bring us the GTD, my 2013 will likely be replaced much sooner than I planned when I bought it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)

The Jetta was not decontented when it moved to Mexico. They have been built in Puebla for quite a while. My 2002 1.8T was built there, as was my 2006 2.5. The "cheapening" started with the 2011 model, and was done specificly to reduce the price point of the car. Yes, it was a significant drop from the quality of materials that we are accustomed to, but don't blame it on being built in Mexico. As others have noted, the Sportswagen is also built there, using the higher quality materials from before the change.

It does seem that VW is slowly moving back to the higher end materials that we enjoyed in the past, but you have to see it from their end. When they were able to reduce the cost/price, sales skyrocketed. That was their goal. I believe they are subtlely pushing people like me to Audi, and unless they build a TDI Tiguan or the CrossBlue concept with a TDI soon, I will be moving to the Q5 TDI shortly after it arrives here. I hate to leave my VW dealer (yes, I actually said that :eek:), but I want a car with the options I want, and VW isn't providing them.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.

I've not seen any mention of using the harder plastics in the Golf. From what I remember, it's the opposite way. The 2014 Jetta sedan will bring back the soft feel plastics. From the amount of delaminating on the door handles in my 2000 Beetle, I am not sure that the soft touch plastics are really a good thing for all surfaces. I've had no problems with either the JSW or the Golf but do see some minor issues with my 03 Passat.

bfalke1

Veteran Member
TDI
The Jetta was not decontented when it moved to Mexico. They have been built in Puebla for quite a while. My 2002 1.8T was built there, as was my 2006 2.5. The "cheapening" started with the 2011 model, and was done specificly to reduce the price point of the car. Yes, it was a significant drop from the quality of materials that we are accustomed to, but don't blame it on being built in Mexico. As others have noted, the Sportswagen is also built there, using the higher quality materials from before the change.

It does seem that VW is slowly moving back to the higher end materials that we enjoyed in the past, but you have to see it from their end. When they were able to reduce the cost/price, sales skyrocketed. That was their goal. I believe they are subtlely pushing people like me to Audi, and unless they build a TDI Tiguan or the CrossBlue concept with a TDI soon, I will be moving to the Q5 TDI shortly after it arrives here. I hate to leave my VW dealer (yes, I actually said that :eek:), but I want a car with the options I want, and VW isn't providing them.
As I already stated, I hope this is correct, but, I have my doubts... If materials are better of the same, why rope off a $22k car?

I could easily afford an Audi (I traded in a Porsche worth more than my tech package golf)... The golf is in my opinion, the best compromise of looks and shape for a TDI, and the new golf looks great as well. It shouldn't be bout cost,it should be about the car. A TDI is a car designed to be a daily driver... I want small as possible to get around and park in downtown Houston, while still having good storage space when needed. I love the golf, and I really like the outside of the new golf, I just worry, that since demand for small hatches is typically pretty low in the US, there is incentive to cheapen it.

Add to that, the audis don't let you have manuals... They will never win me over that way, I also fear that it may be gone on the TDI... No one has addressed that part of my original question. I have not seen mention of anything but a 7-speed DSG

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
One other thing to remember is that the current Jetta sedans and Passats in North America were designed for this market. Even though the new (MKVII) Golf will be built in Mexico, it is still a world platform car. We should still get the same interiors that the rest of the world is getting, just not all of the other options :(

bfalke1

Veteran Member
TDI
One other thing to remember is that the current Jetta sedans and Passats in North America were designed for this market. Even though the new (MKVII) Golf will be built in Mexico, it is still a world platform car. We should still get the same interiors that the rest of the world is getting, just not all of the other options :(
I hope so... that is the case with the JSW.

I also wish we at least got a chance to go 'a la cart' on all the options the ROW gets... but that a pipe dream

Last edited:

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
If you are saying it's sold in the U.S......that is the market....the U.S. market.... The country it is manufactured in -- Mexico -- has nothing to do with what content the car gets. The car gets a cheap plastic interior because it is a specially-designed car for the North American (i.e. U.S.) market.

JSW's are made in Mexcio, and get a certain trim when they're sent to the U.S. Like our only option is vinyl seats. The same vehicle is made in Mexico and gets shipped to Canada as the Golf Wagon. And there it gets more options, with cloth seats and even leather, I think. Comfortline, Highline, etc. Stuff we don't get here. And the same made-in-Mexico vehicles get shipped to England where they're called Golf Estates. And they have even more goodies and options. You know, like they get actual switches in the center console, whereas we get a row of mostly blank filler caps.....

So you can get cheap JSW's and expensive, higher-quality Golf Estates from the same plant in Puebla, Mexico.

bfalke1

Veteran Member
TDI
If you are saying it's sold in the U.S......that is the market....the U.S. market.... The country it is manufactured in -- Mexico -- has nothing to do with what content the car gets. The car gets a cheap plastic interior because it is a specially-designed car for the North American (i.e. U.S.) market.

JSW's are made in Mexcio, and get a certain trim when they're sent to the U.S. Like our only option is vinyl seats. The same vehicle is made in Mexico and gets shipped to Canada as the Golf Wagon. And there it gets more options, with cloth seats and even leather, I think. Comfortline, Highline, etc. Stuff we don't get here. And the same made-in-Mexico vehicles get shipped to England where they're called Golf Estates. And they have even more goodies and options. You know, like they get actual switches in the center console, whereas we get a row of mostly blank filler caps.....

So you can get cheap JSW's and expensive, higher-quality Golf Estates from the same plant in Puebla, Mexico.
I think you are a little touchy, or you are really good at reading only what you want to read (or how you want to read them).

As you said, it is about the market, and as you just said, the Jetta with the cheap hard plastic is sold in the US... And the guy right before you said they have hard plastics in the entry level Golf in Europe. Compare what the US gets to to Canada and England, which YOU just did, what do we get entry models, or highlines?

Add all this information up, still spells a very high likelihood of the Golf getting the same crappy interior as the Jetta. VW gives the US the cheapest version of the Golf now, just like the JSW... We do not get options to buy permium versions. Why do you think that trend will change?

Please note, I am still ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT THE CAR, not your heritage, I don't care where anyone comes from, only what they can contribute to a community.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Those photos make either interior look mediocre, but I think colors (and lighting) have a lot to do with perception of interior quality in photos. I owned a Camry in the early 90s that I called "terminally gray" because everything in the car including the outside was gray. The materials were actually pretty nice, but they looked awful. Monotone isn't great in any material.

Interior aside, the Golf will lose some content. Entry level versions will have a semi-independent rear suspension I think, not the beam that the Jetta has, but TDIs may be included in that group. It's getting either a space saver spare or no spare tire at all. And we don't yet know if they're cutting out interior features like the rear 110v outlet, manual versus electric HVAC controls, back to old school lighting instead of the variable voltage lighting in the MKV and VI, etc.

Although it's bigger than I want, I like the MKVI Golf because it was expensive to build. Not good for VWs economics or pricing, but it makes for a nice car. The older Passats are like that, too.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf doesn't have the 110V outlet standard like the JSW. I really like it in the JSW and would like to like to put one in the Golf, if it were as simple as swaping out the consoles.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
Mostly just bumping this so it doesn't fall off the bottom. :)

Is it just me, or is the dash starting to look like a Saab's? The center stack is now kind of integrated with the cluster.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
With all the "must haves" and safety features, it would be difficult to keep any car looking unique.