99 beetle timing belt

newbeetle99

TDI
99 beetle
How will I know when to replace my timing belt, what signs should I look for and is there anyway in knowing if the previous owners have other than asking them.

procupine14

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle 5sp
Other than asking them, there is no way of knowing. There really isn't a way to predict when I timing belt will fail. The general rule on this forum is when in doubt change it out. It is kind of a policy "spend $600.00 now or $7,000.00 later.

Typical timing belt change intervals are 60k for your 99 Beetle. If it had a nice kit put on the interval is 100k. Also, I believe that it id technically 60k miles or 5 years which ever comes first.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
You can also ask them the part numbers and torque values that were used during the timing belt change...

Unless you know for sure that the job was done properly, it's always safer to have a new-to-you TDI have a timing belt system change done by someone who is known for doing this correctly.

(One of the cars we've owned had had the TB system changed by a VW-Dealership Master Mechanic some time before we bought it... When I changed it - on principle - I found the locating tab on the tensioner to be bent over and well out of place... it was pure luck that the engine got as far as it did...)

Please narrow down your location a bit... (The U.S. is a fairly large place, as I seem to recall...) We may (or may not) be able to recommend someone local to help you look over the car...

Yuri

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
About 4 years ago, a friend of mine purchased a 99 NB at the dealer with 65k miles on it. He was told the TB had been changed.........???

Well, at 104k miles while driving to work one morning.....putting along at about 45mph in 5th gear the engine just quit.

Long story short, the TB stripped teeth off. Everything else checked out okay...water pump did not lock-up, no rollers locked up, and the tensioner didn't lock up...............the TB just gave up the ghost because it was beyond service limit!

So, the OEM 60k mile belt made it to 104k miles before destruction.

Yes, the head had to be rebuilt!..........pistons were all okay! It's still runnning just fine.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
You also need to keep in mind what quality of belt/kit was installed if at all, some of them are cheap and nasty.