New to TDIClub? Introduce yourself here!

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
TDI newbie here. Bought a 2003 Jetta TDI 5 spd from a co-worker that meticulously maintained it. Seats reupholstered, new glow plugs, 8K OCI at the dealer, new clutch and timing belt/WP just this past year. VERY high miles though (315K) but runs great.

I'm coming from a Geo Metro - 518,000 miles on the original engine (did put a rebuilt head on at 456,000 miles when I had it off for a blown headgasket.)

Now I'm getting the same MPG (Metro was 50-52 MPG) but much more comfortable, safer, and gobs of power. (Metro wasn't so bad in that respect given it weighed 1600 lbs).

I do all my own work - but this is my first European car/VW. Hope it doesn't change but I did just learn about triple square drive fasteners.

tsimon325

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Auto
Finally made the plunge!

I've been sitting on the fence, buy or not buy, a TDI for some time. I finally decided I needed more creature comforts than my Geo Metro offered (A '68 VW bug is about par with the 3 cylinder, 5psd econobox).

I became a fuel mileage geek since my commute became 150miles/day. On a side note, I sat down and calculated the total cost of ownership of this little "chick magnet" including fuel, tires, engine rebuild, insurance, the whole enchilada over 160k miles and 8yrs... would you believe 13 cents/mile? Ok, 13cents and my dignity :D

Enter the 2006 Jetta TDI I just picked up, a CL find with 126k miles on the clock. The DSG trans, shifts great, engine has decent power (a rocket ship compared to the Metro it's replacing). Recent tags, great tires 9matching) all the options I wanted (moonroof, upgraded stero, heated seats, automatic, relatively low miles, not silver in color. On the down side, no service records, hencho en Mexico car (would've rather had a German assembled car) a pressure side intake or exhaust leak, has some left-front repaired crash damage with new parts, but they did lousy job of matching the paint. I bought it for a price I felt good about, $4k, I had some $$ set aside for a few things it would need.

I'm looking forward to getting 40mpg with an automatic trans (no more clutch-leg cramps during stop-n-go commute), heated seats, and air conditioning during the California summers.

Jimmytractor

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
New kid on the block here! I recently bought a red 2006 Jetta TDI with a DSG transmission, 166,xxx miles. I have admire (most) German engineering and diesel engines and their efficiency. I heard the 2006 models arent the best, but if properly maintained are decent vehicles. I look forward to conversing with others about what works well on their cars and how I can "bulletproof" mine. Also, if I could help anyone in return with my experiences in doing so. Thanks for accepting me into club!

RoseBud68

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 mk3 Jetta 1.9
Hey folks...New to TDI. Just picked up a '98 Jetta 1.9 TDI and have been doing my home work with lots of research on this board. Car is solid and got it for a great price. Anyway looking forward to doing work on this car.

oildoc

TDI
T5 multivan
Hi I'm new here. I'm not sure if this is the correct way to post a question on here. But I'm hoping some may have a answer to this problem. I have a 2005 T5 Multivan
Vin number is VW2ZZZ7HZ5H101167 with a AXE Engine code
It is a beautiful van to drive except it gutless and goes into limp mode when pushed. I have taken it to VW a few times. And the just tel me it has a low boost code and the throw parts at it charge me heaps and don't fix it. After about a year of messing around I rang the old owner and he said he had the same problem. The bit that really bothers me is that I'm a diesel mechanic myself. But I'm over fifty and have been out of the trade for a while. So everything I have worked on is turbocharged diesel but no electronics. So I know the basics. I have pressure tested the intake. No leaks. I have tested for a vacuum leak. None
I have checked the moment on the variable vane. It's fine vow have already done n75 valve
Erg valve and a few othe valves. To no benefit. I bought a scan tool and ran all the checks and everything comes up fine. Except it has a fault code with a discussion of
16683 Boost pressure regulation control range not reached Power supply
I have seen this fault code many time on these forums and on google. But with out reference to the power supply. So I started to look at wiring and connections. After many hours I decided it may be easier to take it back to VW let them know what has already been done and what I have found. Because they said they had a master technician there who would be able to find it quite quickly with in an hour or so. Well after a hour and a half they came and told me there was good news and bad. The good news is it doesn't have a boost or vacuum leak and all the valves are fine. But they don't know what's wrong. They charged me $154.00 for that and said they would need it back for a day or so. One they just charged for whatever I already know and they new before and at that hourly rate it could cost thousands and still not be fixed but I'm sure I will still be charged. Does anyone out there have any hint on what I should be looking at. I'm just about over it and the van will be getting sold if I can't fix it myself. Which is a Shane because it really is a nice van

rfederle

TDI
2013 Jetta gas engine
New to TDIClub Forums

Hello all,

I just joined and may be in the wrong place since I don't have a Diesel. I have a 2013 VW Jetta with gas engine but it has an electrical issue that I really don't know where or what heading to post my question under.

We purchased the car used in May 2016 for our Son since he had recently got his drivers license and is a National Honor Society member now.

The car was a company vehicle and is in really good shape although it doesn't have some of the bells and whistles.

I have tried the search function here and had no luck finding my specific issue but would like to post it and see what help I can get.

The posts I have looked at on here over the past few days seem to be in depth and have some very knowledgeable people replying to them.

I am pleased to be here and hope I can gather some info about our Sons car, not only now but as time goes on. Since this is not a Diesel, and I am in the wrong place, hopefully someone can tell me what other forum I may need to try.

Thank you all and looking forward to learning something here. Happy Holidays to all.

Robert

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
Hello all,

I just joined and may be in the wrong place since I don't have a Diesel. I have a 2013 VW Jetta with gas engine but it has an electrical issue that I really don't know where or what heading to post my question under.

We purchased the car used in May 2016 for our Son since he had recently got his drivers license and is a National Honor Society member now.

The car was a company vehicle and is in really good shape although it doesn't have some of the bells and whistles.

I have tried the search function here and had no luck finding my specific issue but would like to post it and see what help I can get.

The posts I have looked at on here over the past few days seem to be in depth and have some very knowledgeable people replying to them.

I am pleased to be here and hope I can gather some info about our Sons car, not only now but as time goes on. Since this is not a Diesel, and I am in the wrong place, hopefully someone can tell me what other forum I may need to try.

Thank you all and looking forward to learning something here. Happy Holidays to all.

Robert
Hi Robert,
The go to forum for non diesel vw is vwvortex. But with that said there are some very knowledgeable folks who's knowledge transcends across power train types. Perhaps we can help you with your electrical issue.

Go into the subforum for which generation and model you have and make your post there if you choose to.
In your case it is the MK6 Jetta sedan.
I will take a look at it once you post it or feel free to send me a pm. I am sure someone on here can help you out.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
Hi I'm new here. I'm not sure if this is the correct way to post a question on here. But I'm hoping some may have a answer to this problem. I have a 2005 T5 Multivan
Vin number is VW2ZZZ7HZ5H101167 with a AXE Engine code
It is a beautiful van to drive except it gutless and goes into limp mode when pushed. I have taken it to VW a few times. And the just tel me it has a low boost code and the throw parts at it charge me heaps and don't fix it. After about a year of messing around I rang the old owner and he said he had the same problem. The bit that really bothers me is that I'm a diesel mechanic myself. But I'm over fifty and have been out of the trade for a while. So everything I have worked on is turbocharged diesel but no electronics. So I know the basics. I have pressure tested the intake. No leaks. I have tested for a vacuum leak. None
I have checked the moment on the variable vane. It's fine vow have already done n75 valve
Erg valve and a few othe valves. To no benefit. I bought a scan tool and ran all the checks and everything comes up fine. Except it has a fault code with a discussion of
16683 Boost pressure regulation control range not reached Power supply
I have seen this fault code many time on these forums and on google. But with out reference to the power supply. So I started to look at wiring and connections. After many hours I decided it may be easier to take it back to VW let them know what has already been done and what I have found. Because they said they had a master technician there who would be able to find it quite quickly with in an hour or so. Well after a hour and a half they came and told me there was good news and bad. The good news is it doesn't have a boost or vacuum leak and all the valves are fine. But they don't know what's wrong. They charged me $154.00 for that and said they would need it back for a day or so. One they just charged for whatever I already know and they new before and at that hourly rate it could cost thousands and still not be fixed but I'm sure I will still be charged. Does anyone out there have any hint on what I should be looking at. I'm just about over it and the van will be getting sold if I can't fix it myself. Which is a Shane because it really is a nice van
Greetings,

So for starters, limp mode can be caused by a variety of issues. Some are relatively minor to fix others are more involved.

Do you have VCDS? VCDS will provide a comprehensive in depth scan, it is not like your generic OBDI scanner. This will allow for diagnostic to guide you toward an educated/directed repair rather than blindly trying to fix the issue.

Create a new thread here:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisp...&pp=50&sort=lastpost&order=desc&daysprune=100

detailing your issue and any VCDS scan if you have it. If you don't, list your location in your post and someone near you may have vcds and can help you out with a scan.

Best of luck.

brotharon

TDI
2001 VW New Beetle TDI
Hi,

I just impulse bought a 2001 VW Beetle TDI with an automatic transmission. I wasnt in the market at all, but it is in great condition and I got it for 1000 bucks, so I was unable to pass it up.

Supposedly there may be something wrong with the transmission, but I have yet to find out what it is. I have done some reading on the forum and found that if the tranny is shot that I would be better off replacing it with a manual than fixing/replacing the automatic. I also looked over the instructions on how to accomplish this. I have done a few motor swaps and some automatic transmission work, but have never done an automatic to manual swap. I may have to look for someone in the greater seattle area to help me out if that is the route that I have to go.

~Calvin

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
I'm in Bendigo Victoria. Australia
Somewhere in this forum there is a Google Doc with people that have vcds. I am on the Tapatalk app so the search function and forum view is limited but I would look for that.

RicerX

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Hi there,

Just purchased my first TDI; a blue 2003 jetta with the wonderful 1.9 ALH.

I bought the car with a few problems, most of which i was able to iron out. I'm currently having a problem with the injection pump, which is why I'm here as a registered member instead of a full time lurker.

I followed the thread "Default How-To: Replace a MKIV ALH Diesel Injection Pump without Changing the Timing Belt" http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=284004 but had a few questions.

When aligning the engine at TDC, the intake and exhaust cam lobes are both pointed up on cyl1 and the torque converter mark (auto trans here) is lined up with the inspection hole. The problem I have is with the injection pump. According to the instructions, at that point you should be able to insert a lock pin into the pump to keep it aligned. My pump doesn't line up correctly. I have to turn the engine a full tooth past TDC to get the IP hole to line up correctly with the sprocket hole.

Would it be a problem if I just set the crank and cam to TDC and just remove the belt and sprocket and then re-align the IP before installation? Perhaps age or previous maintenance caused the IP to get out of alignment? The car was idling fine but I never got to drive it since it's leaking diesel like crazy.

I also bought an injection pump reseal kit from dieselgeek and it has a **** ton of orings, washers, seals etc. Is there a guide somewhere that shows where they all go? I've only found guides for resealing on car but my pump seems to be leaking from multiple places which is why i bought the complete kit.

Sorry for all the questions! Can't wait to have my TDi rolling :D

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Would it be a problem if I just set the crank and cam to TDC and just remove the belt and sprocket and then re-align the IP before installation? ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:D
Yes that would be the correct procedure. A little shorter might be lock the cam, lock the crank, detention belt, loosen cam sprocket and 3 bolts on pump, rotate IP pulley to align hole. Retension, tighten sprocket and 3 bolts, remove locks rotate a couple revolutions to check.
TDI Injection Pump Replacing Gaskets

jtyler

TDI
2005 Passat wagon
Oklahoma b5.5 passat

Hi everybody! I'm new to the VW world, but have stumbled myself into a 2005 Passat TDI wagon. I've had it for about 5 weeks and it just rolled over 96k miles. So far I have replaced the coolant temp sensor, had the timing belt and water pump replaced, and deleted the resonator...

Thanks!

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Hi everybody! I'm new to the VW world, but have stumbled myself into a 2005 Passat TDI wagon. I've had it for about 5 weeks and it just rolled over 96k miles. So far I have replaced the coolant temp sensor, had the timing belt and water pump replaced, and deleted the resonator...

Thanks!
Fellow Tulsan:)

Nice looking TDI

Deezelpullz

TDI
2002 New Beetle 5 spd.
New TDI owner!

Hi there! I am a new tdi owner and joined this forum for the tdi support (they seem to be complicated and tenuous machines). I am not new to VW diesel. My other car is a 1981 Rabbit 1.6 with a 5 speed. What can I say . . . I am addicted to diesel now.

I look forward to learning more about tdi's (especially ALH), the community, and diesel cars in general. Here are some pics of my toys:

Phantom_here

TDI
Soon
Hello

Hi everyone
I am in the process of picking up a 1998 jetta with a 1.9 for the sole purpose of using the engine in my CJ5 as a test subject.
This will be the first time working with VW or Diesel for that matter, I have done many swaps with Chevy engines into jeeps and look forward to trying something new.
Thanks for adding me to the group.

Gemrod

Summers Maine & Winters Arizona but @ 6,500' eleva
TDI
1998 TDI 1.9L Diesel Super Beetle
New to site, just bought '98 New Beetle 1.9 TDI

Hello, I just purchased what appears to be a really in good shape car with 142,000 miles. 1998 New Beetle 5spd stick shift. 87 year old owner seemed to be very honest. Said a lot of the miles were by being towed behind a motor home. But said he would not even try to guess how many. Nice car with 6 cd changer factory installed when bought new. Cruise control, power windows, air conditioned etc. No pic but just a blue beetle. This site so huge. Wondering how to raise the car body up safely. Bigger tires or some other way? It is just that the frame seems soooo low to the pavement. I live at 6,500' elevation and sometimes when going to Phoenix there are rocks on the highway.....

Can't seem to find a power cord to hook up the the block heater that is in the car and has a fixture on the front end of the car. Just the 120v cord to hook it up to electricity overnight.

Can't seem to find final answers to whether to use additives and which ones for cold weather. Rarely -5f and upwards. More like 10 - 30 at nights. Or if the car is built somehow good enough that do not need to do anything for winter weather.

Apologize for length of post. Never ten words or less, unless talking to my wife of 38 years, that lost a 4 year battle to cancer.....and so cannot do that again until I get to heaven.......

Love the car already. So this site said I could post my newbie status. Done

Jim....plain old jim..... I am plain....and I am old.....

Last edited:

Allen03

TDI
2003 Jetta Tdi
Let me introduce myself

Just wanted to say hello my name is Allen I just bought my 2003 jetta about a month ago I live in iowa found this site trying to troubleshoot some problems I am having with it. I have been a diesel technician for about 15 years but it is all heavy stuff class 8 trucks and some medium duty stuff my jetta currently has 248,000 miles on it and still purrs like a kitten has an automatic trans still working great but bought it used an previous owner didn't know much about what had been done to it as far as maintenance so I am really starting from scratch and getting things I noticed repaired and functioning properly.Looking forward to hearing from everyone and any help or tips would be appreciated

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Hello, I just purchased what appears to be a really in good shape car with 142,000 miles. 1998 New Beetle 5spd stick shift. 87 year old owner seemed to be very honest. Said a lot of the miles were by being towed behind a motor home. But said he would not even try to guess how many. Nice car with 6 cd changer factory installed when bought new. Cruise control, power windows, air conditioned etc. No pic but just a blue beetle. This site so huge. Wondering how to raise the car body up safely. Bigger tires or some other way? It is just that the frame seems soooo low to the pavement. I live at 6,500' elevation and sometimes when going to Phoenix there are rocks on the highway.....

Can't seem to find a power cord to hook up the the block heater that is in the car and has a fixture on the front end of the car. Just the 120v cord to hook it up to electricity overnight.

Can't seem to find final answers to whether to use additives and which ones for cold weather. Rarely -5f and upwards. More like 10 - 30 at nights. Or if the car is built somehow good enough that do not need to do anything for winter weather.

Apologize for length of post. Never ten words or less, unless talking to my wife of 38 years, that lost a 4 year battle to cancer.....and so cannot do that again until I get to heaven.......

Love the car already. So this site said I could post my newbie status. Done

Jim....plain old jim..... I am plain....and I am old.....
Sorry to hear about your wife, but congrats on a new old car.

you might want to harden up the underside instead of jacking up the car.

http://www.dieselgeek.com/New_Beetle_skid_plate_s/1837.htm

you may decide you like to be so close to the road.

Happy New Year

[oh yea, that cord is a strange one. might have to go to a dealer or vw-specific places online.] and don't expect it to be cheap

unless it is wicked cold where you will need to start the car you may find you do not need the heater and can skip the cord.

https://www.google.com/search?q=5K0-965-539&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Last edited:

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
Just wanted to say hello my name is Allen I just bought my 2003 jetta about a month ago I live in iowa found this site trying to troubleshoot some problems I am having with it. I have been a diesel technician for about 15 years but it is all heavy stuff class 8 trucks and some medium duty stuff my jetta currently has 248,000 miles on it and still purrs like a kitten has an automatic trans still working great but bought it used an previous owner didn't know much about what had been done to it as far as maintenance so I am really starting from scratch and getting things I noticed repaired and functioning properly.Looking forward to hearing from everyone and any help or tips would be appreciated
Hey Allen
248k on that 01m auto trans, I would take a look at replacing the trans filter snd fluid. Those trans are not known for longevity unfortunately!

TDI
2004 beige VW Jetta TDI and 2014 Passat TDI
Hey guys! I’m completely new to this forum and club. I absolutely love my tdi and want to do more to it. Just wanted to say hello and get my name out there.

itsallgermantome

TDI
2006 jetta Tdi
Hey...noon to vw and to the forum. Bought an 06 had no lights on now has check engine and airbag....Love all the how to posted here. Will be doing the clutch.
I'm from hamilton ontario